PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Poster child for "Did not compete" = Aaron Hernandez

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the correct word for him is 'soft'.

Great player but definitely can be rattled. That hit he took against SF had him looking twice afterwards.

Our town played him when he was in High School and the local word always was that he's a little b**** who's afraid of hits.

Of course he tore us up to the tune of several touchdowns.

I think the correct word for him is 'soft'.

Great player but definitely can be rattled. That hit he took against SF had him looking twice afterwards.

If I was a NFL WR, I would try to avoid being hit too. I have always loved fans calling players soft from the comfort of their computer.

Originally Posted by RhodyPatriot
No the sky is not falling but when the QB of the team is literally screaming at his offense on the sidelines perhaps we should take a look at that offense and comment on who isn't showing up to play.
Sorry if that offends your pinkhat sensitivity.

Its hard to be on 100% for 16 games a year plus playoffs, you can be a great player and have an off day. After two tough games a lot of guys were having trouble getting into the game, they were drained mentally. Brady had a so so game, are you questioning him?
This game is tough mentally as well as physically, not sure why the OP chose Ahern to pick on but I think your barking up the wrong tree, it was a collective team wide bad game.

If I was a NFL WR, I would try to avoid being hit too. I have always loved fans calling players soft from the comfort of their computer.

So we have to right to differentiate between the likes of Gronkowski and Hernandez?

I love A-Hern, but I will say this. He has way too many drops and makes more dopey mental errors than a guy with his talent should. He's young, though, so I'm not all that worried.

He should stop smoking so much marywanna (why isn't there a pot leaf emoticon in here yet?) . I'm a fan of his though.

Guys, we're obviously being trolled hard by Rhody. No one could possibly believe that drivel...

Even tough guys at TE have trouble staying healthy, by which I mean a bit more trouble than even other football players have.

Hernandez is not particularly tough as NFL players go.

Didn't hear anyone saying this stuff last year.

It's also kind of hard to compete when you get targeted only 5 times and two of them are at your feet and the QB is having a sub par game

Is hernandez 100%

Games 8,...46rec, 438yds, 5tds, 60%catch rate

1. Returning for the Jets game Aaron was targeted 3 times for 2rec, 36yds, not bad considering Brady hit 7 receivers for 18 total completions in an early blow out Win.

2. Most of his production came in 3 out of the last 5 games (Phins,Tex,SF) 26rec, 247yds, 3tds. Tough games and clutch performances.

3. Against Jacksonville he didn't do much with 1rec out of 5 targets for 13yds, having his worst games in 2 years. This was also one of our offenses worst games of the season.

4. After last week most fans thought Aaron was 100%, BB on WEEI Monday said he was healthy and is going to continue playing. Sounded like he meant it IMO but who knows.

5. Conclusion: Aherns close to 100% and Sunday was just a bad game.

Merry Xmas...:cool:

Even tough guys at TE have trouble staying healthy, by which I mean a bit more trouble than even other football players have.

Hernandez is not particularly tough as NFL players go.

Then why does he squirm for extra yards with guys draped all over him, and his ankles twisting every which way, after each catch?

Yes, he should have concentrated on that SF play. But players who take wack after wack and absolutely never alligator arm a pass (Welker, Boldin) are the exception, not the rule.

When you say "Did Not Compete" those are strong words. I don't believe AH deserves the kind of reputation that comes with saying words like this. It is quantifiable that AH has been productive. Further, when AH catches the ball you can see he has a head and high motor for squeezing as much YAC as he can. So unless you can point to some specific plays where AH displayed a lack of effort, I think it is unfair to say he is "not competing".

However, as unpopular a POV this is, I'm a bit concerned with AH. I hope it is due to his previous injury -- for all I know AH is playing through some serious pain -- and he will work through it. But I am seeing some 'uncertainty' that concern me. With JE gone and Gronk still out, TFB doesn't have many quick strike targets to negate the recent poor-ish OL play. AH needs to be that other high percentage, 5 to 7 yard quick pass player (WW being the first). And right now I am a bit concerned with the success rate TFB will have going to AH in those specific circumstances.

I hope and will gladly accept being wrong......

So what you're saying (without meaning to of course) is Hernandez needs Gronk in the line-up in order to be productive. There's a lot of truth to that and that's not good. Without Gronk in the line-up they need Hernandez to elevate his game.
Somehow Wes Welker continues to be very productive yet Hernandez disappears all too often and this is because "Hernandez is a completely different target"??? Bull%#@&!!!!!
Aaron Hernandez does not compete, i.e. bring the intensity and tenacity game in and game out the way Wes Welker does.
Yesterday was a classic example.

Knee jerk reaction much? Hernandez did have a poor game and had a couple of drops no doubt. But lets not pretend that he's up and down and hasn't been playing well without GRONK. In the games since GRONK has been injured before the Jags he has gone for:

36 yards 2 Rec 0 TD (This was also his 1st game back from injury)
97 yards 8 Rec 0TD
58 Yards 8 Rec 2 TD
92 Yards 10 Rec 1 TD

Those games would actually suggest to me he has been quite consistant as a big part of this offense since GRONK has been out. He had a bad game against the Jags, i think many of our players did lets not start singling him out as an up and down inconsistant player because of this one bad game.

All the homerism in the world won't change the fact that Hernandez has not been playing well. He is not getting separation, has too many bad drops, and there is little YAC. Reiss reported that he has a high ankle sprain and the Pats debated whether to play him at all, so his performance is presumably injury-related. After all the TE signings, they still don't have sufficient depth at the position as Shiancoe and Fells have contributed like 4 catches on the season, so they play an injured Hernandez. Same situation on the other side of the ball where they lack CB depth so tried to play Talib who needed a wheelchair to move. Unfortunately, we get no excuse cards for playing poorly due to injuries.

Shiancoe was waived.....Fells, I agree, has been a HUGE disappointment in the "Receiving" Department. The guy was a really good receiver in Denver and contributed alot. When he was coming here, I remember Donk fans being upset that the let him go..because he was producing for them. Comes here....must be the thicker air or something....guy gets stone hands and couldn't catch a cold! He has been a very good overall BLOCKER it seems...and thus he is still here. Hoowan...cant spell the rest of his name...has been a pleasant surprise and seems to be "COMING ON" Now.....that could really bode well for the O when gronk comes back as well. As for Hern....I think the injury limits him somewhat...but he has been dropping a buttload of passes. He seems to hear the footsteps coming alot and loses focus or something. In fairness, he has been doubled alot and taken alot of hard shots....I think that when Gronk comes back....it should free him up again and he will be back to the old Hernandez.....IF the ankle holds up.....GO PATS

you can tell he isn't 100%...hopefully they rest him next week along with others..unless houston loses

Are you referring to Rhody Patriot here.....or....?

I love A-Hern, but I will say this. He has way too many drops and makes more dopey mental errors than a guy with his talent should. He's young, though, so I'm not all that worried.

His tendency to drop passes in key situations has been there since day one:
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/682648-hernandez-drops.html (Posted October 2010)

Two years ago people said "He's young, this is not something to worry about." How long before people realize it's just part of the territory with this guy? He doesn't have consistently good hands. That is who he is. No need to live in denial or anger at people pointing out the obvious.

I have accepted this, come to terms with it, and think that he is good enough that he is, on average, an excellent TE with one weakness. We definitely want him on our team, but if the game is on the line I am definitely scared of rolling the dice with his hands (remember the drop in the SB last year? That was worse than the Welker drop in many ways).

Last edited:
Don't compare Gronk with AH. Gronk is our Pro Bowl caliber TE who's a terrific blocker and makes a huge difference for that O line. Gronk also has tremendous hands and is a much more reliable pass catcher than Hernandez. Gronk is the all around player.
AH is a glorified WR and catching 1 pass against the vaunted Jacksonville Jag defense on a day when the QB is getting killed because guys aren't fighting to get open is totally unacceptable.

Gronk is the better player, but if we're going to crucify anyone who isn't at his level, that's most of the roster.

Look, we can debate a lot of different things about various players and rankings and what they're doing on the field, we can argue over the impact of injuries and all sorts of other issues, but you simply cannot say that Hernandez is the best example, the "poster child," for not competing. That's simply not true, nowhere close to true, and ridiculous to continue arguing.

Hernandez has all the tools to be a dominating player. Dominating.
Unfortunately this guy is invisible far too often.
There are too many games where this supremely talented player is a non-factor.
That big money contract may have been a big mistake.

Threads like these tend to prove how much the OP knows about football ... just saying. :rolleyes:

The guys is playing at about 80% right now ... if that due to injury.

Last edited:
I'm on vacation and just got back to the board today.

This thread is ridiculous. My inclination would be to move it immediately to the Pratice Squad, but being Christmas and the fact that the other mods left it here to share in the refutations of the OP, I'll lay off and wish everyone a blessed holiday.

I hope everyone gets a meaningful day of peace and blessings and that Rhody Patriot gets the attention he/she obviously craves......and then perhaps a Good Samaritan can whisper to him that Aaron Hernandez was obviously playing on one ankle Sunday.

I'm on vacation and just got back to the board today.

This thread is ridiculous. My inclination would be to move it immediately to the Pratice Squad, but being Christmas and the fact that the other mods left it here to share in the refutations of the OP, I'll lay off and wish everyone a blessed holiday.

I hope everyone gets a meaningful day of peace and blessings and that Rhody Patriot gets the attention he/she obviously craves......and then perhaps a Good Samaritan can whisper to him that Aaron Hernandez was obviously playing on one ankle Sunday.

Happy holidays! And sending this thread to the Practice Squad would end an embarrassment to the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call