PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Possible Landing Spots for Mallett

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: What is Ryan Mallett worth?

There is absolutely zero chance we get anything near a first round pick for him. Alex Smith has a 13-3 season under his belt and he didn't even fetch a first. This is like how talk of Hoyer could get us a 2nd round pick. Completely bloated expectations of him.

I would be extremely surprised if we got a second.

A 13-3 season is about the only thing there is to say about Alex Smith. This is also the guy who:

1. Is four years older than Mallett
2. Lacks Mallett's arm
3. Was a huge bust with every coach before Harbaugh
4. Played in a very conservative offense
5. Was aided to a 13-3 record by a top defense
6. Costs around $7M more than Mallett each of the next two seasons
7. Averaged just over a TD per game in his best full season

Alex Smith is proven mediocrity. Mallett actually has potential. There's a big difference.

He isn't worth anything more than where he was drafted.

For that reason, he is a Patriot for the foreseeable future.

A 13-3 season is about the only thing there is to say about Alex Smith. This is also the guy who:

2. Lacks Mallett's arm

Alex Smith is proven mediocrity. Mallett actually has potential. There's a big difference.

Did not beclown himself in the post season last year

All said, the GM/HC that is going to trade for a QB is a guy with a bad team and is risk and criticism averse. Trading a highish pick for a guy with zero NFL game creds (The Hammer) will get these guys lots of flack from their local fanbase and press.

Thank you. He isn't going anywhere unless we net high 2nd for him, which isn't happening.

Thank you. He isn't going anywhere unless we net high 2nd for him, which isn't happening.

A top half 3rd pick could vault the Pats 2nd rounder to a top 40 player

2. Lacks Mallett's arm

You're looking at it completely unobjectively.

1. Mallett has proven nothing in the NFL
2. Mallett has a slow as molasses release
3. Smith has proven he can win games
4. Smith has proven he can read NFL defenses and make the right play
5. Smith has shown he has great accuracy

In Smith I see a guy with NFL experience, good accuracy, good enough arm strength, good football IQ, and ability to run at a decent rate.

In Mallett I see Drew Bledsoe with a slower release, less ability to read defenses, and is even more inaccurate, zero game experience and proof he can do anything besides throw interceptions every 5 throws.

You are absolutely kidding yourself if you think Mallett has more value than Smith. That is absolutely absurd.

I don't think that's true.

If he can get us a 3rd round pick I do it. We took a shot we could increase his value and he'd develop into a big time investment but that hasn't worked out. We need picks this season. Get what you can.

If Brady goes down it doesn't matter who our back up is, our season is over.

I think what is lost on this board is it only takes one team to value and target their guy.

Don't think for a second that he isn't the top target Lomabardi and the Brown's are looking for.

There was no interest in Smith nothing linking them to Flynn or any of the rookie qbs.

He was the top qb on Mike's board I think thats at least worth a second and additional consideration based on performance.

Before someone says they would never do that think about who you would rather have one your team your first choice at qb or a defensiveback.
Mallett has done nothing to stop Lombardis love affair and lucky for us the Qb class is weak as ever.

So do you bet the farm on a Barkley a Glennon or someone who has learned behind the best in Mallett.

At the end of the day if the compensation is right I believe Cleveland will land their QB and we will see if Lombardis love affair is justified because it sure as hell won't be Weeden or McCoy.

Great points.. and I think that's what's going to happen.

I listened to a great interview with Thomas Dimitroff a couple of weeks ago and he stressed the pressure for GM's and new regimes to win quickly. He was discussing the trade with Julio Jones and that GM"s have to be agressive.

He also mentioned that you have to your guy as a QB..

Let's also remember that Lombardi's son is a Pats scout :)

As we could see with the Alex Smith trade.. they really wanted him and were willing to pay.

I would say we get at least a first round pick.. call me crazy :bricks::bricks::bricks::bricks::bricks::bricks:

The assumption that we wouldn't trade Mallett for a 3rd because we want more than we spent. But who is to say that a 3rd rounder in this draft is not more valuable than it was that draft? This has been rumored to be a very deep draft class.

I think that we should stop this utter nonsense.

How many games did we win with Cassell? Also, if Brady goes down for a few games, we should have a solid backup. The question has always been whether to cap 2 or 3 quarterbacks. We absolutely need a adequate backup: Mallett, Hoyer or Cassell come to mind. I presume that if Kapka is the future, he's need a year as the #3.

If Brady goes down it doesn't matter who our back up is, our season is over.

I think that we should stop this utter nonsense.

How many games did we win with Cassell? Also, if Brady goes down for a few games, we should have a solid backup. The question has always been whether to cap 2 or 3 quarterbacks. We absolutely need a adequate backup: Mallett, Hoyer or Cassell come to mind. I presume that if Kapka is the future, he's need a year as the #3.

Does he? So you want to carry 3 QB's waster a roster spot to gain valuable experience for Kapka? It made sense for Mallett in 2011 as a rookie but not for Kapka.

Great points.. and I think that's what's going to happen.

I listened to a great interview with Thomas Dimitroff a couple of weeks ago and he stressed the pressure for GM's and new regimes to win quickly. He was discussing the trade with Julio Jones and that GM"s have to be agressive.

He also mentioned that you have to your guy as a QB..

Let's also remember that Lombardi's son is a Pats scout :)

As we could see with the Alex Smith trade.. they really wanted him and were willing to pay.

I would say we get at least a first round pick.. call me crazy :bricks::bricks::bricks::bricks::bricks::bricks:

Yes you're crazy. Completely so.

Reminds me of the Good Ol Days where poster after poster waxed ecstatic over what we'd do with KC's high 1st round pick. One guy "guaranteed we'd get 2 firsts for Cassel". Beclowned himself so badly he either doesn't post here any more or changed his forum name.

Mallett is not going anywhere

Some Sanity emerges.

Gronk is to be traded; Welker to walk; let Volmer go; Lloyld is signed but we don't want a receiver who was close to 85 passes and 1000 yards for a "TOO EXPENSIVE". ( $4 million/yr, with a 2 million dead money cap hit.)

Mallett will be traded for a bucket of warm spit. (Any backup QB can be signed for only two to three times his cap hit and We will never need a Backup or a Successor.)

I have never seen such nonsense spouted.

Sure !!!

I do agree that the most likely landing spot for Malett is on his ass on the Pats bench.

No, I want to keep a valuable backup as our #2 and sign him to a long-term deal.

HOWEVER, if we do not choose to sign a backup, then we should plan on three for this year and keep our flexibility next year. Alternatively (not best), we could keep Mallett and hope to bring in a trainee next year.

My point is that backup QB is an important position and should be treated as such. As I indicated that this position is SO IMPORTANT that we have often kept two backups on the 53 man roster.

Does he? So you want to carry 3 QB's waster a roster spot to gain valuable experience for Kapka? It made sense for Mallett in 2011 as a rookie but not for Kapka.

obviously the most obvious landing spot for a mallet is a gavel....morons...

17594250-judge-gavel-on-a-white-background-vector-illustration.jpg

Only three places that make sense off the top of my head - Tennessee, Arizona and Jacksonville.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back