PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Possible Landing Spots for Mallett

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think what people are not quite getting with my Minnesota idea is this:

(1) Percy Harvin will not be back with the Vikings next year. That is almost a certainty. You must know more than the Minny HC and Minny GM because they've said otherwise.

(2) Therefore, Minnesota has a choice: cut him or try to trade him for something of value. Or keep him since that is their intent

(3) The trade market for Harvin, because he's in the last year of his contract, and (a) teams won't want to give up much for a one-year rental, or (b) don't have the cap room to give him the kind of extension he probably would want, is thin. There aren't a lot of attractive trading partners for them.

(4) Minnesota has a glaring need at QB, and this is a very weak draft class for QBs. They will probably try to get one through free agency or a trade.

You seem to be the only one who thinks that Minny has a "GLARING" need at QB. Most others say otherwise.

(5) The Patriots not only have a player that could possibly fit the most glaring need the Vikings have (QB), they also have the cap space to accommodate a trade for Harvin.

(6) This, therefore, makes the Patriots and Vikings suitable trading partners. Thus, a deal where the Vikings are able to get something in return for Harvin - something that they sorely need in a QB, *plus* a 3rd round draft pick - makes sense for them, and it makes sense for NE because they can easily just pick up Hoyer or Cassel to back up Brady.

Most trade ideas like this don't end up happening. But the idea does make sense for both teams, if you accept the premises above. If anyone here thinks it's a stupid idea worthy of only the practice squad, then explain which of these premises is incorrect. Do you think Harvin is going to stay with the Vikings? Do they not have a need at QB? Is this not a weak QB class? Wouldn't they prefer to get something of value for Harvin if he's not going to stay? Are there a ton of teams with lots of cap space that could fit Harvin in or not?

We have no idea if Belichick would want to do this deal or if Minnesota would (they might not think much of Mallett at all). But given that we don't know those things, from an outsider's perspective, a deal like this makes a lot of sense.

It seems to be only you who has an issue with Ponder. The Vikings have need of O-line to protect Ponder. A QB they like and want to move forward with. So, that actually nullifies the most glaring reason you offer for them to be trade partners..

I'd trade The Hammah for a 4th in a minute. That 4th could be used to trade up in the 2nd, etc. This is a deep draft where we have needs and there's a chance that with luck and a trade up or so we could get 2 much needed quality contributors out of the 1st 3 rounds. This 2013 team needs a couple talent/position gaps filled via draft and vet FA, not lots of young bodies, that's what UDFAs are for.

As I and others have said elsewhere serviceable backups (Hoyer, probably Cassel) will be available cheap. If Brady goes down more than a game, we're not winning the SB anyway.

So, you think Brett Favre graded equally to Mallet coming out in the draft?

Both had 1st round grades coming out in the draft. Favre was drafted in the 2nd round with the 33rd pick in 1991 while Mallett was the 10th pick in the 3rd round. The reason that Mallett fell was because of false rumors about him.

Mallett beat out Hoyer completely to the point that the Pats felt they could go with just 2 QBs this past year. That says a LOT about how much confidence he earned with the Pats.

And people seem to forget that, in 2008, Cassel supposedly had a lousy camp, most people had him written off and Gutierrez taking the #2 only to have Gutierrez get cut..

So, I think that other teams will take that into consideration.

I didnt want to create a seperate thread for this but maybe I can include it here.
What's the chance the Patriots tag Vollmer and then trade him almost immediately to regain the cap back.
Just thinking Vollmer alone could net Harvin more than likely a few middle round picks for sure.
Are picks that valuable this year or do we just lose the guy and get nothing in return.
It be risky but if anyone could pull a quick trade for Vollmer it be Bill.
Minnesota would instantly have a elite line for so to run behind and to protect Ponder we would gain a game changer and a offensive center piece.

Thoughts?

That's a $10 million gamble. Franchise and trades don't happen that often, do they?

The draft isn't until the end of April. Is a team really going to trade for Vollmer before the draft, given that there are some decent OLs in it? And if it doesn't, we're hammered in free agency by the cap hit.

It seems to be only you who has an issue with Ponder. The Vikings have need of O-line to protect Ponder. A QB they like and want to move forward with. So, that actually nullifies the most glaring reason you offer for them to be trade partners..

Yep. If my premises are wrong, then obviously this deal doesn't happen. That should be obvious. I'm just going based on what I've read. For example:

Minnesota Vikings wide receiver Percy Harvin wants new contract, plans to hold out next season | masslive.com - says that Harvin will hold out unless he gets a new contract

Notebook: Leslie Frazier 'made it clear' he wants Percy Harvin back - Minnesota Vikings news | 1500 ESPN Twin Cities ? Minnesota Sports News & Opinion (Twins, Vikings, Wolves, Wild, Gophers) | Sportswire: Minnesota Vikings - says they want to keep Harvin, but that they haven't ruled out a trade; it backs my point that the trade market would be thin for him b/c of his demands for an extension

So you're probably right that this won't happen. Like I said, 99% of trade ideas on this board never come to fruition. Mine would be in a long line of them.

ivanvamp: I think Mallet for Harvin straight up works.

Pats get: A great 1 year value for a receiver, a position they need.
Pats give up: 2 years of a backup who will likely never see the field

Minn gets: A potential starter qb; they get to try him out for 2 years and then can franchise him. Or they can just try to sign him to an extension make it similar to if he had signed as a high pick qb
Minn gives up: a receiver who would've only played 1 year on a team that had no superbowl hopes.

It's a win-win in my opinion. I don't think we need to add a 3rd rounder to make this enticing for Minn

Yep. If my premises are wrong, then obviously this deal doesn't happen. That should be obvious. I'm just going based on what I've read. For example:

Minnesota Vikings wide receiver Percy Harvin wants new contract, plans to hold out next season | masslive.com - says that Harvin will hold out unless he gets a new contract

Notebook: Leslie Frazier 'made it clear' he wants Percy Harvin back - Minnesota Vikings news | 1500 ESPN Twin Cities ? Minnesota Sports News & Opinion (Twins, Vikings, Wolves, Wild, Gophers) | Sportswire: Minnesota Vikings - says they want to keep Harvin, but that they haven't ruled out a trade; it backs my point that the trade market would be thin for him b/c of his demands for an extension

So you're probably right that this won't happen. Like I said, 99% of trade ideas on this board never come to fruition. Mine would be in a long line of them.

Rick Spielman says Vikings have 'no intent' to trade Percy Harvin | 1500 ESPN Twin Cities ? Minnesota Sports News & Opinion (Twins, Vikings, Wolves, Wild, Gophers) | Sportswire: Minnesota Vikings

Vikings GM: 'No intent' to trade Percy Harvin; Leslie Frazier has 'support' of organization - TwinCities.com

Those articles, published after yours, says they have ruled out a trade. And I thought I heard Harvin say he wouldn't hold out, but we heard the same about Deion Branch.

About as much as your blathering that Mallett was staying put..

are-you-trying-to-hurt-my-feelings-21168.jpg

Cassel and Hoyer (both former Brady backups) will be available. And they already have Kafka. They can find a veteran backup without any difficulty.

Cassel was actually good in the role.

But he might want to go to a team where he actually has some hope of contending for a starting role for reasons other than injury.

Nce speculation but not any realistic expectation of ever happening.

Any replacement for Mallett will use up another additional million of CAP space, no matter who they are. Aside from a rookie, of course chosen in a draft that there may not even be a First Round QB, nevermind one with equal talent to Mallett.

You never need a backup QB, until you NEED a QB.

Nce speculation but not any realistic expectation of ever happening.

Any replacement for Mallett will use up another additional million of CAP space, no matter who they are. Aside from a rookie, of course chosen in a draft that there may not even be a First Round QB, nevermind one with equal talent to Mallett.

You never need a backup QB, until you NEED a QB.

the way I see it given there's 2 years left on his rookie deal is that trading him now doesn't get the pats anything they can't get after next season. now if the unthinkable happens and mallett gets substantial playing time next year, then the pats stand to gain much more since they have now locked into brady. there's no showstoppers in next year's draft, either unless manziel figures out a way to sneak in.......but that shouldn't change mallett's value at that time....unless mallett causes problems like playing at an all-pro level

which begs tha question......what if brady gets hurt next year, mallett comes in and basically takes the team at least as far as brady has the last few years? what then?

Not really understanding the worry of having a backup qb.

Let's be real. If our backup isn't Aaron Rodgers, there is no way we are winning a Super Bowl without brady regardless who the backup is.

If we can get a middle to upper third for him I'd be ecstatic.

the way I see it given there's 2 years left on his rookie deal is that trading him now doesn't get the pats anything they can't get after next season.

That depends on who comes out next season. We know that this year is a whole lot of "meh."

now if the unthinkable happens and mallett gets substantial playing time next year, then the pats stand to gain much more since they have now locked into brady. there's no showstoppers in next year's draft, either unless manziel figures out a way to sneak in.......but that shouldn't change mallett's value at that time....unless mallett causes problems like playing at an all-pro level

Manziel will be a redshirt sophomore (i.e., three years past HS), so he can just declare; it's a matter of whether he wants to stay at A&M or go pro. Also, according to Peter King, Kraft wants to see Brady retire a Patriot.

Well, here's what Alex Smith gets the Niners:

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Chiefs will trade second-round pick this year - the top pick in second round - as well as another conditional mid-round pick in 2014.

I don't see the Pats getting more than the third they used to draft Mallett in the first place, maybe a later-round pick thrown in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft