PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Possible guys to bring in to fill the WR void?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vafides

Rookie
Reaction score
Rumor has it David Boston is getting a look from the Dolphins again. Would the Patriots be interested in bringing him in?
Jerry Porter won't be let go for a first round pick by Al Davis and I think if we got into a starring contest with Al Davis he won't budge, just the kind of prick he is.

What about Charles Rogers?
Or even Jimmy Smith? It worked for Seau, what are the odds he comes out of retirement to win a ring?

I think I'd rather just stick with the guys we already have...

There is no void. The only issue is the new guys (Jackson, Gabriel, Childress) learning the offense - well bringing in someone new won't help that.

Anyway, if Dante Stallworth can go to Philly and 1-2 weeks later catch 6-141 then I don't want to hear any crap about how our guys can't learn the offense. Learn the damn offense and go and make plays. If the offense needs to be dumbed down for a few weeks so they only have to learn a piece of it, so be it. If Philly and Stallworth can do it, so can we. Damnit.

Is Quincy Morgan still FA?

I think we'll see Faulk at WR quite a bit more. It'd explain why Smith was brought back and Bam was let go.

If the team feels that Faulk is a better WR than Bam, then Faulk's snaps per game may shift from ST to WR (along with his usual HB snaps), so then his ST snaps would need to be replaced: J Smith.

vafides said:
Rumor has it David Boston is getting a look from the Dolphins again. Would the Patriots be interested in bringing him in?
Jerry Porter won't be let go for a first round pick by Al Davis and I think if we got into a starring contest with Al Davis he won't budge, just the kind of prick he is.

Or even Jimmy Smith? It worked for Seau, what are the odds he comes out of retirement to win a ring?

David Boston blows...

...the Patriots are 1-0 with a reasonable schedule ahead...

I just don't get the constant drone of 'sign this guy! trade for that guy! spend to the cap!'.

Pretty content in watching the season unfold as is...

Last edited:
BelichickFan said:
There is no void. The only issue is the new guys (Jackson, Gabriel, Childress) learning the offense - well bringing in someone new won't help that.

Anyway, if Dante Stallworth can go to Philly and 1-2 weeks later catch 6-141 then I don't want to hear any crap about how our guys can't learn the offense. Learn the damn offense and go and make plays. If the offense needs to be dumbed down for a few weeks so they only have to learn a piece of it, so be it. If Philly and Stallworth can do it, so can we. Damnit.

I agree with you that once Jackson and Gabriel hit the field, much of the clamoring will cease. Not all of it, because odds are that neither guy will live up to Deion Branch, but it will certainly be better. Plus, things would look better just by the OL stepping up.

However, did you see the Hou/Philly game? You do realize that almost half of Stalworth's yards came on a play where there wasn't anyone within 20 yards of him? The difference between NE's WRs and Philly's was better pass pro and worse DB coverage, nothing more, nothing less. Well, I guess you could add in better QB play, but it still wasn't all on the WRs.

Aaaaarrrrggggghhhhhh! Please make all these Charles Rogers posts stop! :bricks:

JackBauer said:
I think I'd rather just stick with the guys we already have...

I agree, lets just get Jackson and Gabriel on the field, Boston and Porter are head cases, and most of the other options out there are just bandaids.

Last edited:
Brownfan80 said:
I think we'll see Faulk at WR quite a bit more. It'd explain why Smith was brought back and Bam was let go.

If the team feels that Faulk is a better WR than Bam, then Faulk's snaps per game may shift from ST to WR (along with his usual HB snaps), so then his ST snaps would need to be replaced: J Smith.

I can see this happening, but only due to motioning. Faulk vs. a LB is a major mismatch, but he doesn't have much of an edge at all on a CB.

vafides said:

Boston has been unproductive for a couple years now. Adam Schefter in last night's NFL Total Access reported the Pats had no interest in Porter when they were negotiating for Gabriel - I cheered. Charles Rogers doesn't seem to be anyone BB wants for the team. Jimmy smith retired amidst rumors he was facing a suspension for failing the substance abuse policy.

We truly don't know what the current crop of WRs looks like, Caldwell caught a couple balls, Brown caught a couple, Gabriel may be ready for some game time against the Jets, Jackson remains a mystery. As long as Bam is re-signed today and acquired by another club, he will be readily available to return to the roster if there is a need. Let's allow things to take their course along the Belichick time-line, I have some faith that he is aware of the situation and will sort it out at some point.

no worries.

gabriel and jackson, along with caldwell and brown will do just fine.

if anything they may find a david patten type move down the road,
but I'm sure these guys will be fine.

dryheat44 said:
Is Quincy Morgan still FA?

He's about the only option I like. Kind of wasted away in Cleveland, then I thought he did well for Steelers when he played, not sure why he was cut.

Anyway, I read he was working out with Minny (I think?) or another team and was close to signing. I'd love him in Pats uni as a WR5/6.

vafides said:

Paul Warfield, Otis taylor?:rocker:

Oswlek said:
I can see this happening, but only due to motioning. Faulk vs. a LB is a major mismatch, but he doesn't have much of an edge at all on a CB.

Faulk was lined up at WR from the getgo on his great TD catch and still a LB shifted over to cover him. I think the matchups follow the player for the most part. Faulk would never start at WR, but in a three or four WR set, he'd still most likely get his favorable LB matchup, IMO.

We are getting Jackson and Gabriel back (I THINK?!), so hopefully there won't really be a void. If you still call that a void, then there's no way any of the FAs out there is going to fill it.

Brownfan80 said:
Faulk was lined up at WR from the getgo on his great TD catch and still a LB shifted over to cover him. I think the matchups follow the player for the most part. Faulk would never start at WR, but in a three or four WR set, he'd still most likely get his favorable LB matchup, IMO.

I thought that he started out lined up near the slot and motioned out wide. I thought that he was covered by a LB because the coverage had been set and the LB just stayed with him as he motioned.

Can anyone confirm whether I am right or wrong? I would hate to by shown up by this Brown guy twice in one week. :cool:

Last edited:
Stop It!!!

Give the guys we have a chance. These guys on the street are there for a reason.

If we get desparate bring back Stanley Morgan and Irving Fryar.

Jeezzz!!!

Oswlek said:
However, did you see the Hou/Philly game? You do realize that almost half of Stalworth's yards came on a play where there wasn't anyone within 20 yards of him?
I didn't but that still leaves 5-70, or thereabouts. If Stallworth can be solidly productive, our guys should be able to be also especially with all the attention the defense will have to give to the RB/TE.

Oswlek said:
I thought that he started out lined up near the slot and motioned out wide. I thought that he was covered by a LB because the coverage had been set and the LB just stayed with him as he motioned.

Can anyone confirm whether I am right or wrong? I would hate to by shown up by this Brown guy twice in one week. :cool:

You may be right, I was pretty drunk by that point in the game.

:eat1:

EDIT: But either way, if he was in the slot he's lined up as a WR still drawing a LB in coverage. That'd be enough to get him away from those pesky CBs.

Last edited:
Whither Tyrone Calico? He showed some promise his rookie year then got hurt and just fell off the face of the earth after that. he must be a wreck if no one is giving him a sniff...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back