PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Possible guys to bring in to fill the WR void?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boston is a bust...Porter would be great but too costly. I think we have to ride out what we have.:cool:

I know some of you are going to find this hard to believe, but I think we'll be alright with what we have once everyone gets healed up. That being said, I would still be all for bringing a young, talented player like Porter in here. We don't need to waste our time with the likes of Boston though IMO.

One guy whose name I'm a little surprised hasn't come up much is Jabar Gaffney. I know he was cut by Philly (even before they picked up Stallworth) which is definitely not a good sign, but he's young, has decent size, isn't a headcase, and isn't injured (as far as I know). He caught 55 passes last year. Anyone know a reason we wouldn't at least take a look at him?

Boston has not been productive since getting off the HGH. I think ou stick with what you have and get them healthy and develop them. If you bring anyone else you are in the same situation.

Gaffney has had decent production but the problem is that according to his scouting report, he has small hands, doen't get involved in the running game, and doesn't like to go over the middle. Those are 3 things the Pats require.

I'm convinced that if you have a solid D, strong running game and heady QB play, you can win a SB w/o high-end WRs. We'll be fine. No worries!!

Next year the void will be filled:

Name: Paul Williams
College: Fresno State Number: 1
Height: 6-2 Weight: 205
Position: WR Pos2:
Class/Draft Year: Sr/2007
40 Time: 4.45 40 Low: 4.41 40 High: 4.52
Projected Round: 1-2 Stock:
Rated number 3 out of 277 WR's 29 / 2231 TOTAL

Draft Scout Snapshot: June 2006 - 1st team All-WAC w/43-729-17.0-7 rec, 9-83-9.2 rush in '05.

Extremely talented player who had a huge spring and should factor immensely into the Bulldogs' offensive scheme this year ... Pat Hill termed Williams' spring as "one of the best I've seen since I've been here" ... Williams' talents have been described as "freakish" by Hill ... has been primarily a strong performer on special teams thus far in his career ... owns exceptional speed despite his large size (6-2, 200) ... the type of receiver who can go up and get "jump ball"-type passes deep in the corners of the end zone.

AzPatsFan said:
The Patriots have their roster of WRs. All the suggestions of has beens, never-weres, busts, headcases, nose candy afficianados, et cetera are a waste of time. The Patriots would never consider them.

Besides there is a talented guy out there that they have already offered to sign, but signed with no one. That is former first rounder and young veteran FA Kevin Johnson. He is still recovering from an Achilles tendon injury and was not ready yet, just before training camp, but was getting closer to being ready.

In an interview at the time, he said he wanted to sign with the Patriots, but it wasn't time yet. He is a talent when he has his wheels back, and pretty good size at 5-11 190# with deep speed. I believe he had a season of 75 catches or so too. He wasn't a bust, just injured.

I had not heard of this possibility before. KJ would be a welcome addition if fully healed.

My two thoughts on the WRs:

1) We need to see Gabriel, Jackson, Caldwell and Brown on the 45 for at least a couple of games before we can come to any kind of conclusion. Let's also give Smith some chances at KR/PR before deciding on the #5 WR. As long as he doesn't fumble, that is. If you were Willie Andrews, would you be a little worried right now?

2) I am assuming that the FO has an up-to-date file on every available WR, including injury/personal status. Bringing guys in for workouts should be a regular Tuesday event anyway. I believe that a FO should never rest on its laurels; that it should never stop looking for players who could help, regardless of the lateness of the season. One never knows when a season-ending injury (or two) could occur, or when a TC occurance becomes season-long. (Did someone here order the hamstrings?)

I forgot when the tarding deadline is. Mid-October? Anyway, IMO, the Patriots will wait to see what they have in Gabriel and Jackson before they try to bring anyone in or make a trade. Gabriel I think can be anywhere from an average WR to one of those guys who'd average with another team and becomes a good player here. Jackson, while having a lot of talent, it's potential talent. There's a bunch of high DP WR's that have come into the NFL andf either been busts or it took extra years before they became real good players. My hope is they both do well and put Caldwell, who I have little hope for, on the bench or inactive. But I don't think they'll dp anything right away. With Smith back that's 3 WR's on the 53 roster that have no game experience in the Patriots system. A 4th isn't going to help that. If they do deal, I'd expect it means they don't like what they see with what they have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back