PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

It's time for James White to step up and fill in for Lewis. But what can he bring to the table?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That Bolden was there and White was not, Pats have 3 RBs on gamedays - Have to be active to be used..
Oh that's right he was inactive...need coffee.:confused:

When has White ever done this in the NFL.

White was on the Pats roster when Lewis came in and passed him by like Fredo Corleone.

Bolden earned a shot vs the Giants.

Here is the opportunity that he has been waiting for. Shame the OL is decimated, but it is what it is.

Bolden plays on all 4 STs which will limit his snaps at RB. I expect White and Blount to get most of the carries. Iosefa on PS was signed as more of a FB type, though he played RB in college. Depending what they think of his prospects, they could add an RB to the PS. One thing that Iosefa can do that neither White nor Blount is good at is move the pile with power on short yardage. If our line ever gets healthy, this may not be seen as important.

Last edited:
I don't see it happening but ...

The thing I like with Brandon Bolden is his aggressive nature I want a Back who can break an occasional Tackle thats something I think Bolden can do. James White like Shane Vereen won't be our Third Down RB because of their Running Abilities. Like White...Vereen was a horrible runner. I think Brandon Bolden gives us more of a run threat and thats one of the keys of becoming a good Third Down RB. I'll add we don't have to worry about Bolden's Blocking abilities either because playing on ST's you have to know how to Block. That said it's James White's job to lose if he's ineffective he'll go back among the inactives. Thing of note James White First Start was against a NY Team our rivals his next Start will be against the other our Super Bowl nemesis.

In the Miami they were using Jonas Gray like a 3rd Down RB I was rubbing my eyes thought I was seeing things.o_O Jonas didn't look half bad I wouldn't rule him out.:cool:

White's game is good enough to be a serviceable 3rd down back but nothing special.

He runs good routes and has good hands. He can make 1 guy miss in space but he won't be making 2 or 3 miss on the same play. I think he can run most of the route tree for 3rd down backs.

The Patriots prefer to have their 3rd down backs also able to run WR routes and IDK if White can do that or not. He can block reasonably well on blitz pick up though.

Overall you miss the big play guy but White can at least move the sticks. Lewis converted some big plays out of nothing and without him those plays won't be happening from the RB position which is unfortunate.

White's game is good enough to be a serviceable 3rd down back but nothing special.

He runs good routes and has good hands. He can make 1 guy miss in space but he won't be making 2 or 3 miss on the same play. I think he can run most of the route tree for 3rd down backs.

The Patriots prefer to have their 3rd down backs also able to run WR routes and IDK if White can do that or not. He can block reasonably well on blitz pick up though.

Overall you miss the big play guy but White can at least move the sticks. Lewis converted some big plays out of nothing and without him those plays won't be happening from the RB position which is unfortunate.

Please don't remind us.:(:oops:

Apparently there's a new movie in theaters this weekend titled "James White"...

Interesting coincidence...

Apparently there's a new movie in theaters this weekend titled "James White"...

Interesting coincidence...
And it seems to have received good reviews so far. Hope NE's James White has the same reception.

logo.png

I thought it was interesting that they brought in Bolden over White.

Not sure what that means other than the coaches felt he was a better fit for the game plan.
White was inactive. They couldn't bring him in.

I don't see it happening but ...

The problem with that is that Gray doesn't do /any/ of the things Lewis did that made him important. Gray would be a backup to Blount, not Lewis.

James White 2013 highlights... they called him "Sweet Feet"... I watched this and have hope. ;)

With a nickname like that, how did he not get drafted by Sexy Rexy? :p

This was posted prior to Dion Lewis' injury, after the Jets game

James White was able to plug the hole at running back - The Boston Globe

James White was able to plug Patriots’ hole at running back
  • Despite what the statistics showed, Tom Brady was not the featured back in Sunday’s 30-23 win over the New York Jets. Brady played every snap and was the Patriots’ leading rusher, for the first time in his career.
  • Brady is a quarterback, though. From a snap-count standpoint, the featured running back was James White, who was on the field for 43 of the 67 plays run by the offense. It is, by far, the most playing time given to the Florida native in the two seasons he has been here. In fact, the 43 snaps approached the 54 he has received — combined — in the seven other games in which he has appeared during his brief Patriots career.
  • During his four seasons at Wisconsin, White shared a backfield with future NFL players Monte Ball (during White’s sophomore and junior years) and Melvin Gordon (when White was a senior). He was never the primary running back in those seasons — he started just 12 of 52 college games — but still finished with the fourth-highest rushing total (4,015 yards) in Badgers history.
  • Patience seems to be one of White’s many virtues, and it has helped him adjust to life in the NFL. He was active for only three games as a rookie, but already has appeared in five games this season, rushing for 12 yards on four carries and catching seven passes for 52 yards.
  • With Shane Vereen gone, someone needed to assume the position of running a little, catching a little, and blocking a little. Lewis has done most of that — he has 40 rushes and 26 receptions — but if he’s not available, White is.
  • “I think James has done a good job for us all year,” said coach Bill Belichick. “Last year he really didn’t play very much and didn’t have much production. This year, even in preseason, I would say his opportunities to play he was productive. Running the ball, catching the ball, blocker in pass protection. He’s a smart kid, he doesn’t make many mistakes.
  • “For me, I always stay ready,” said White. “I’m learning from these guys, watch film with them. I stay in the game plan and I’m ready every weekend. “If my name is called, I’m going to be ready. Whenever I get an opportunity to get out on the field, I’m going to make the most of it.”

2015 6th round pick out of Mississippi State, 5'8, 217 lbs

Had 28 receptions in his last college year

Good effort, but not enough context to be useful. Lewis is off the field for all Blount runs, so those are naturally going to be lower, and the only game in which a player substituted for Lewis on passing plays was against the best defense they've faced to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes