PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Players that have been AWOL...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradyManny

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Two that come to mind for me are Jonathan Sullivan and Marquise Hill.

We'd heard Sullivan had been making progress, why has he been inactive the past two games?

And is it wrong of me to still expect that Marquise Hill should somehow contribute in someway b/c he was a 2nd round pick? I'm still holding out hope that he'll do something at some point.

Any other guys who are AWOL to start the season that I'm forgetting?

BradyManny2344 said:

We'd heard Sullivan had been making progress, why has he been inactive the past two games?

And is it wrong of me to still expect that Marquise Hill should somehow contribute in someway b/c he was a 2nd round pick? I'm still holding out hope that he'll do something at some point.

Any other guys who are AWOL to start the season that I'm forgetting?

It's called being very deep at the position:

Wilfork
Seymour
Wright
Warren
Green
Santonio Thomas
LeKevin Smith
Jonathan Smith
Marquise Hill

Which would you sit in favor of Jonathan Sullivan or Hill??

fgssand said:
It's called being very deep at the position:

Wilfork
Seymour
Wright
Warren
Green
Santonio Thomas
LeKevin Smith
Jonathan Smith
Marquise Hill

Which would you sit in favor of Jonathan Sullivan or Hill??

Fair enough - but my point is that Hill should be at the level to at least compete with these guys and he's not. Was it just a bad pick, maybe, but I can't be the only one who thought he was going to be good.

Well Sullivan was a top 10 pick though...

Isn't this lovely, whining about reserve players when the Pats have the premier defensive line in the NFL. :confused:

I'm ready to call Hill a bust. We may be deep in the position, but we have a guy off the street playing ahead of our second round draft pick.

BradyManny2344 said:
Was it just a bad pick, maybe, but I can't be the only one who thought he was going to be good.

No you're not the only one. When we drafted him, he was a 6'6, 300 lb DE who had made some big plays for Sabin's LSU. He topped that off by running a 4.85 or whatever it was in the Combines. I expected him to be at the very least a poor man's Richard Seymour. But his play this preseason just confirmed that he's made no strides towards improvement since being drafted. He neither shows the explosiveness that his combine time would indicate for such a big guy nor does he show a modicum of instinct or desire. The one thing he has going is that he's got some power and strength, but he needs much more than that to succeed in the NFL. He's also in dire need of some boxing lessons or something because his handwork is just terrible, and he's already lost the battle at the point of attack. Though I'm hesitant to call him a bust just yet, time is ticking away quickly. Should he fail to develop by next season, however, I'm not so sure there's space on the roster for the guy given how deep the Pats are at the position.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Isn't this lovely, whining about reserve players when the Pats have the premier defensive line in the NFL. :confused:

Dude, I'm not whining about our reserve players - I'm asking about one of our picks from a couple years ago and whether or not he's made any progress. All of my posts are positive and pro-Pats, I just wanted to start a thread to talk about the people we have heard nothing about thus far. Jeezum H people are sensitive around here...

BradyManny2344 said:

Sullivan played in the Jets game.

BradyManny2344 said:
Dude, I'm not whining about our reserve players - I'm asking about one of our picks from a couple years ago and whether or not he's made any progress. All of my posts are positive and pro-Pats, I just wanted to start a thread to talk about the people we have heard nothing about thus far. Jeezum H people are sensitive around here...
Dude, "AWOL" is such a positive pro-Pats application. Pardon my sensitivity to your negativity - surfs up. :rolleyes:

BradyManny2344 said:

Anyone else see the irony here?

PatsWickedPissah said:
Anyone else see the irony here?
That explains the oxidation.

Box_O_Rocks said:
That explains the oxidation.
It's the beginning of the season, we all need to knock off the rust.

PatsFan37 said:
It's the beginning of the season, we all need to knock off the rust.
I'm going to go get lubed up right now! ;)

Box_O_Rocks said:
Dude, "AWOL" is such a positive pro-Pats application. Pardon my sensitivity to your negativity - surfs up. :rolleyes:

Um, OK, whatever that means.

Anyway, I don't think Sullivan did play in the Jets game. Wasn't he listed as inactive?

lobster said:
Sullivan played in the Jets game.

Are you sure about that? I didn't see the game but I remember seeing the inactive list before the game and thinking it was strange that both Sullivan and LeKevin would be inactive, leaving no NT backup for Vince.

TNPatsFan said:
Are you sure about that? I didn't see the game but I remember seeing the inactive list before the game and thinking it was strange that both Sullivan and LeKevin would be inactive, leaving no NT backup for Vince.

I think you're right - Reiss had them both listed as inactive.

I was curious as to why he's been inactive both games after making some steady progress in preseason.

TNPatsFan said:

I think Wright and Seymour would be your back ups if anything happened to VW while Sully was inactive.

Last edited:
BradyManny2344 said:
I think you're right - Reiss had them both listed as inactive.

I was curious as to why he's been inactive both games after making some steady progress in preseason.
The official gamebook on nfl.com shows Sullivan listed as active and that he got onto the field (because he is listed under Substitutions and is not listed under Did Not Play or Not Active). He did not record any tackles.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/gamebook/NFL_20060917_NE@NYJ

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft