PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"Pitchers and Catchers.....in 4 months"

This Red Sox team is one of the faster teams in franchise history. Our problem was, ironically, very poor effort in the station to station game. This is a doubles park first and foremost. Load the bases and plug the gaps is the traditional Fenway strategy (to paraphrase Earl Weaver, "pitching, defense and the 2 run double") and it works for us far more often than it doesn't. Our problem is not lack of power or lack of speed. For some reason the talent we have didn't execute up to its ability this year.

They have all the talent they need at SP, if they can't get performance out of these pieces, then the problem is not with the pieces.

Middle relief is the single area of any baseball franchise most prone to selection bias in analysis. It was also the best asset of the franchise this year. Yes the bullpen blows games, and of course every time they do, the bullpen is The Worst Thing Ever. You are disappointingly unexceptional in this.

Many teams find ways to succeed without the kind of money we have tied up right now. Money is not the problem. Money was only ever the problem because it was spent poorly. Even with that money, we have all the talent we need to compete if we stop throwing people away the first time they don't look spotless.

The Yankees have problems of their own. Let's wait until 18 to be so pointlessly gloomy. We beat NYY this year with all the horrible evil awful nasty uncomfortable flaws you didn't like. It's baseball. The only thing certain is nothing is certain.

That is a terrible reason to dismiss a manager. Do you think you get extra runs after the game for a good press conference or something?

Dismiss Farrell because you don't like the effort on the field, because you don't think he inspires the team, you don't think he's doing a good job of fostering chemistry, teaching fundamentals or both. That's his job. Managing the media is at best a side duty, and I honestly wish that teams would fob that off to a press secretary and let the manager and players focus respectively on managing and playing.

Bobby Valentine was good at media, do you want him back? Heck no, because the game left him behind and he couldn't make the team do its job. If Farrell was good at baseball, nobody would care about his media presence. Nobody that matters anyway. The media can go hang itself as far as I care.

I agree. He's been a soldier for us, but his body is breaking down and it's becoming obvious that he can't keep up with the game for 162+ anymore. Lot of little guys break down when they hit their early 30s, looks like Pedey's one of them. I can't see it getting better from here.

The Boston Red Sox are not going to compete by trying to transform their entire lineup into home run hitters. That's incredibly ignorant wishful thinking. You take the talent you have and work with it. This isn't a great homer park, short porch in left aside. This is a line drive park, that should be the goal. If Chilli can't get the LD% up, he needs to go, but because a hitting coach needs to get the most out of the players he has, not because we have to slavishly copy the rest of the league and how it does offense.

Yes, Xander Bogaerts is not Nomar. He's still a very good, productive shortstop. Get over your disappointment and see the guy for what he is, good mentality there. He's not going to win MVPs or Gold Gloves, but he's a solid producer.

For the way we have to hit to take advantage of Fenway, that right field is an asset. line drives go there to fall in, because there's so much ground to cover. No hitter should ever tailor his style for fear of the defense, if that's what's happening the hitting coach, bench coach and manager all need to be fired immediately for letting it happen.

I doubt that's what's happening.

Thanks for spelling it out, nostradumbass. I guess I can give a miss to the entire next season. Oh wait, it's baseball. We could be last place or we could win it all, especially with this roster and its problems and opportunities. Waaaaaay to early to be saying this kinda stuff and everyone with more than a single digit IQ knows that.
Well chosen screen name. Did it come with free pom poms?

Farrell was ejected (ergo he had no say over Sale pitching the 8th).

oZJz4_s-200x150.gif

"So trusting... so naive..." :)

The MLB Season needs a serious contraction.

I loved baseball growing up, but it has serious problems sustaining interest over the 162 game schedule and the protracted playoff schedule. It's just so slow and drawn out. I wish they would shorten the season back to 154 games, four playoff teams in each league and the Playoffs/World Series at a reasonable hour, so fans can watch non-favorite teams without killing themselves with sleep deprivation. I also wouldn't mind seeing a contraction of the game itself into a 7-inning match, although MLB will never consider it.

Football, as presently configured, is nearly perfect in every regard. I'd kill the Thursday Night games, but that's just me.
Why is first round only 5 games if the regular season is so long? Makes little sense.

As soon as Farrell sent Sale back out for the 8th, I flashed back to Pedro and Grady Little in 2003...

...and McNamara not subbing Dave Stapleton at 1B in the bottom of the 10th in 1986.

giphy.gif

Another Sox manager lets the postseason rolls between his legs. o_O

I didn't get to see the play live. I remember being angry that McNamara didn't pitch hit for the bad BB when he got up against lefty Jesse Orosco (I think with the bases loaded). Buckner looked as bad in that at bat as he did on the grounder. After that I turned the game off and missed the horrible ending.

Every other time in the same situation McNamara had put in Stapleton. But nooooooo, not that time.

Good grief, if I NEVER hear that song again, I will be extremely HAPPY!
My wife likes that song. That and the outfield dance are some of the reasons she watches with me. Whatever it takes.

Sorry that the Sox season is over, but just had to say it.......

Condolences to Shank and @FCB02062
The Bankofamericasox are a bunch of fragile whining crybabies. I am positively THRILLED that stick-and-ball sleepytime pastoral lawn recreation finally is FINITO for this year!

I honestly could care less that they got eliminated. Maybe that qualifies me as a bad fan. They are just...boring. I'd rather watch football...and hockey ( Yuck) lol...

The Bankofamericasox are a bunch of fragile whining crybabies. I am positively THRILLED that stick-and-ball sleepytime pastoral lawn recreation finally is FINITO for this year!

Tunie - re: your "Disagree" - my post was being sarcastic - - check the thread title and my sig if you need background on my "condolences".

Now maybe…just maybe…an actual team-building project can truly begin.

On the bright side, as long as the Yankees lose tonight I can revert to not even slightly caring about baseball until April. This Sox team wasn't good enough to win it anyway, saddled by too much dead money from ****ty contracts that were awful from the moment they were signed (Sandoval, Price, Castillo).

I never really stopped being pissed at the team for how they ran Francona out of town, smeared him on the way out, then lowballed Lester. Just like last year, I'm going to be fine with passively rooting for the Indians (for Tito) and the Cubs (for Epstein and Lester) the rest of the way. They're both likable teams that I'd be happy to see win it all.

I like our young guys, particularly Betts and Benintendi, but the franchise as a whole is just unlikable outside of them. Glad Farrell's gone, wish Dombrowski would go next before he gets a chance to destroy our young talent pipeline in pursuit of overpriced vets.

On the bright side, as long as the Yankees lose tonight I can revert to not even slightly caring about baseball until April. This Sox team wasn't good enough to win it anyway, saddled by too much dead money from ****ty contracts that were awful from the moment they were signed (Sandoval, Price, Castillo).

I never really stopped being pissed at the team for how they ran Francona out of town, smeared him on the way out, then lowballed Lester. Just like last year, I'm going to be fine with passively rooting for the Indians (for Tito) and the Cubs (for Epstein and Lester) the rest of the way. They're both likable teams that I'd be happy to see win it all.

I like our young guys, particularly Betts and Benintendi, but the franchise as a whole is just unlikable outside of them. Glad Farrell's gone, wish Dombrowski would go next before he gets a chance to destroy our young talent pipeline in pursuit of overpriced vets.
They're so lucky they have enough money to not be as in much trouble as they should be for those contracts. Tampa or KC would be devastated.

I can't follow baseball anymore...too many games...too slow for me. i'll stick to football and hockey
Me neither, its become way to slow. THINK i read that back in the seventies the average game took about two hours. I remember that to be pretty accurate, the sox would start at 7 or 730 and end around nine, now its 3.5-4 hours.

What they dd to Lester was a travesty, Tito, i don't know what happened exactly except that it seemed like the inmates were running the prision. And i agree on the signings, especially price and castillo, who knew sandoval would be the stiff he turned out to be.

What they dd to Lester was a travesty, Tito, i don't know what happened exactly except that it seemed like the inmates were running the prision. And i agree on the signings, especially price and castillo, who knew sandoval would be the stiff he turned out to be.

I was never a big fan of Sandoval, admittedly. I thought he rode some good Octobers to an outsized contract, and in general I hate giving a lot of money to overweight players entering their late 20s. He was never much of a power hitter for a corner infielder, his defense was never that good, we were basically signing him for his ability to get on base, but his OBP had already dropped to .321 in his last year in San Fran. I guess we were gambling that it was a contract year blip, but I don't really believe in contract year blips, or at least I would never bet $100M on one. Especially for a fat guy exiting his physical prime.

Re: Tito, I wasn't opposed to letting him go in of itself. Not necessarily a fan of it, but if he had to go he had to go. What I take major issue with is ownership leaking a bunch of stories to the Globe about how he was addicted to pills or **** like that. Either it's a lie and they were slandering him or it's true and they were airing out dirty laundry to try to make themselves look better because they just couldn't bear the idea of people still liking Francona. Either way, they're a bunch of assholes and the Lester thing just further proved it.

I was never a big fan of Sandoval, admittedly. I thought he rode some good Octobers to an outsized contract, and in general I hate giving a lot of money to overweight players entering their late 20s. He was never much of a power hitter for a corner infielder, his defense was never that good, we were basically signing him for his ability to get on base, but his OBP had already dropped to .321 in his last year in San Fran. I guess we were gambling that it was a contract year blip, but I don't really believe in contract year blips, or at least I would never bet $100M on one. Especially for a fat guy exiting his physical prime.

Re: Tito, I wasn't opposed to letting him go in of itself. Not necessarily a fan of it, but if he had to go he had to go. What I take major issue with is ownership leaking a bunch of stories to the Globe about how he was addicted to pills or **** like that. Either it's a lie and they were slandering him or it's true and they were airing out dirty laundry to try to make themselves look better because they just couldn't bear the idea of people still liking Francona. Either way, they're a bunch of assholes and the Lester thing just further proved it.
I shouldn't have posted what i did about sandoval because all i knew is that he had hit really well for san fran that year or in that world series, up until then i don't think i could have told you who he was. He was portraid as this great hitter, but looking at him wondered being that fat how could he play defense.

Farrell would have his job if they got past the ALDS. You look at the Yankees and they had zero expectations and they're one win away from the ALCS.

I shouldn't have posted what i did about sandoval because all i knew is that he had hit really well for san fran that year or in that world series, up until then i don't think i could have told you who he was. He was portraid as this great hitter, but looking at him wondered being that fat how could he play defense.
You were right to post what you did about Sandoval, whose signing was Special Olympics-sized ******ed the Nanosecond it became official.

Josh Donaldson was available the same off-season, and signed with Toronto for less.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back