PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: "Some are speculating Merriman to Pats"

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's 5 games in, one. His team has played the Steelers, Ravens, and Denver, and played from behind in most of the time in those games. His TEAM has a grand total of 7 sacks in those 5 games. They're missing their probowl NT, and one of their DEs keeps getting hurt. What the hell do you expect?

You said they only have 7 sacks, I expect their "stud" OLB to pick up some damn slack.

If Merriman is a good player, why is he going to disapear to this extent?

Synovia, please show me where i explicitly stated that in between in the injury and suspension is where he did terribly. I did say that he has been bad since his suspension, so i get where you're coming from - and that's poor language on my part.

You've stated repeatedly that hes been bad since the suspension. He hasn't been. Period. He's been bad since the start of 2009.

he's also pretty much sucked since then too, unfortunately

Thats the problem here. You keep saying hes been bad for years, or that hes been bad since the suspension, and thats factually incorrect. Nobody is arguing that hes playing well right now.

"since the suspension" has been 3 very distinct periods:

A) 21 games of absolutely excellent play, including 21 sacks.

B)1 game playing hurt in 2008, followed by 15 games of being on IR.

C) 5 games of his current suck

Can we agree on that, and stop arguing around each other's points?

You said they only have 7 sacks, I expect their "stud" OLB to pick up some damn slack.

If Merriman is a good player, why is he going to disapear to this extent?
Again, you're arguing against a point I did not make. Why do you keep putting up this strawman?

Nowhere in this thread have I said Shawn Merriman is playing anything close to good football right now. Why is it so difficult to separate "Shawn Merriman WAS good" from "Shawn Merriman IS good"?

Again, you're arguing against a point I did not make. Why do you keep putting up this strawman?

Nowhere in this thread have I said Shawn Merriman is playing anything close to good football right now. Why is it so difficult to separate "Shawn Merriman WAS good" from "Shawn Merriman IS good"?

I simply as this, why else are you defending him like he's your first born child? Didn't you just say what dude has been saying?

What he is pretty much saying is ever since his injury he has been a ghost. I don't see where he's wrong, and I don't see what your arguing against. He said He WAS good, but isn't now? Are yous aying otherwise? If not, why continue to go back and forth?

My argument is because of your comment that has been fantastic since his suspension. That's bull****. But now it's like you're saying you weren't saying that? whatever, this useless arguing is making my head spin. Talk about useless bantering.

Last edited:
What he is pretty much saying is ever since his injury he has been a ghost. I don't see where he's wrong, and I don't see what your arguing against.

I'm not arguing against that, and never have.

He said He WAS good, but isn't now? Are yous aying otherwise? If not, why continue to go back and forth?

No, he said he hasn't been good since his suspension.
My argument is because of your comment that has been fantastic since his suspension.

No, what I was saying was that he has been fantastic between his suspension and his injury.

That's bull****. But now it's like you're saying you weren't saying that? whatever, this useless arguing is making my head spin. Talk about useless bantering.

Again, thats because you keep arguing against points I'm not making.

I'm not arguing against that, and never have.

No, he said he hasn't been good since his suspension.

No, what I was saying was that he has been fantastic between his suspension and his injury.

Again, thats because you keep arguing against points I'm not making.

Okay, fair enough. I see more of what you're talking about now.

It's pretty easy to say he hasn't been **** since his sus[ension. Yes he had a good 07, but an injury plagued campaign last year, and now he has done nothing this whole entire season, not anything. Not even a glimpse. So far it's looking like it might be a 1/3 good year period for him, and that's not good.

do pardon my ignorance though :D

You mean, other than San Diego when they cut him, and he showed up in New England playing better than he had in years?

I wasn't talking about Chargers fans. I was talking about Pats fans.

If you look at Merriman's 2007 numbers he got 7.5 sacks against the Chiefs and the Raiders. 2 more against then Pats, 2 against the Titans, and 1 against the Ravens. Nothing else for every other opponent that season. I'm not sure that the 12.5 sack number ends up being that impressive under that context.

QUESTIONS
How much more would Merriman bring than the player at the bottom of the 53-man roster?
If Merriman is available, is Merriman worth the compensation required to secure him?
============================

I don't think whether he is as good as he used to be is relevant at all to this discussion. The question is whether he would be an upgrade and whether he is worth the cost.

If you look at Merriman's 2007 numbers he got 7.5 sacks against the Chiefs and the Raiders. 2 more against then Pats, 2 against the Titans, and 1 against the Ravens. Nothing else for every other opponent that season. I'm not sure that the 12.5 sack number ends up being that impressive under that context.
Most players play better against bad opponents, and don't have their stats evenly distributed across their games.

Both those BAD team played very well sunday

2007 Chiefs: "The season ended with a nine game losing streak, the team's first since 1987 and a 4-12 record. It was the Chiefs' first season with twelve losses since 1978."

2007 Kansas City Chiefs season - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2007 Raiders: "The team finished the season with a 4-12 record. It began with the team's fourth head coach in six seasons. By virtue of the team's 2-14 finish in 2006 (the worst in the NFL for that year), they acquired the first overall pick in the 2007 NFL Draft."

2007 Oakland Raiders season - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes