PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats are in position to spend some dough in an uncapped year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I posted this in another thread. Don't buy the hype that the Pats won't spend this offseason if there is no cap. I did the numbers and they look to be in position to spend and spend a lot and still not spend more their highest payroll ever (that was 2007) in real dollars.

Ok, I looked at Miguel's site and by my calculations (someone may want to correct me), the Pats' real dollar payroll right now is around $62 million. I went over to USA Today that tracks real dollar payrolls for each team. Here is what I found:

2009 - $97.5 million
2008 - $92.7 million
2007 - $117.9 million
2006 - $105.1 million
2005 - $94.4 million

That means the Patriots would have to spend roughly $56 million in real dollars to match their single season highest payroll and about $30 million to match their lowest point over the last five years. So all those people who dismiss that they will be active in free agency without a cap by saying that Kraft isn't Daniel Snyder should know that Kraft has a lot of money to spend to spend like Bob Kraft.

Well, if Kraft is so hard up for cash that he had to ask the State to build him a footbridge (yes, he has since rescinded his request but he did ask) then what makes you think he's got the actual dollars to spend on high priced free agents?

Well, if Kraft is so hard up for cash that he had to ask the State to build him a footbridge (yes, he has since rescinded his request but he did ask) then what makes you think he's got the actual dollars to spend on high priced free agents?

Well, if AIG is so cash strapped for money that they have to ask the government for a bailout, do you think they will give their executives big bonuses?

What does Kraft asking for stimulus money for a municipal infrastructure have to do with anything for his finances? A footbridge over a state highway is not something someone can finance and build privately. That is something the state would have to do and finance. It has nothing to do with Kraft's financial situation.

Besides, Kraft's financial situation didn't stop him from spending nearly $100 million in real money for payroll of his players this past season. Players are the product in the NFL and it is any team's biggest expense.

Last edited:
Kraft's statement that he will not sign players to expensive long term contracts

while there is labor uncertainty does not bode well for the franchise.

Last edited:
Why would anyone expect tha patriots to spend any more on high-priced free agents than in past years? It is no better a business decision this year than in years past.

In the Belichick era, I recall signing two high priced free agents: Colvin and Thomas. Maybe this year we will sign #3, but I would count on it, and I certainly wouldn't expect the patriots to all of a sudden change their model and start outbidding all other teams for high-priced talent (most of whom are free agents because their high salary demands).

Kraft's statement that he will not sign players to long term contracts

We do not know if that is just positioning crap. If the NFLPA think their players are going to cash in this offseason with an uncapped year, they are not going to bend on their demands. If the Pats tip their hand that they are going to be active in free agency, other teams are going to start targetting some of the players they may target.

I never believe a single thing the Pats say to the press about strategy. It is mostly BS.

Kraft's statement that he will not sign players to expensive long term contracts

i think its smart, if you sign a bunch of players to big long term contract you are in trouble if/when a cap is instated.

there is no grace period once the cap is installed its your job to get your team under the cap and suffer the penalties

Why would anyone expect tha patriots to spend any more on high-priced free agents than in past years? It is no better a business decision this year than in years past.

In the Belichick era, I recall signing two high priced free agents: Colvin and Thomas. Maybe this year we will sign #3, but I would count on it, and I certainly wouldn't expect the patriots to all of a sudden change their model and start outbidding all other teams for high-priced talent (most of whom are free agents because their high salary demands).

Never said they were spending more per player, but they might be far more active and pick up a bunch of quality free agents. Like they did in 2003 and 2007 (ironically Colvin and Thomas years). Personally, in this economy and with Jerry Jones' hands tied with the final eight teams rules, I don't see many players getting paid much more than they would in a capped year.

Last edited:
Reiss said today in his chat that he would be surprised if teams used the uncapped yr and spent a lot because if there is a cap in the future say 2011 they could be in trouble handling those salaries.According to him its a little overhyped.

We will be active in the free agent market as we were in 2009 when we picked up Bodden, McGowan, Taylor and Banta-Cain. We also picked up some failures.

Free agent needs are bit more this year, with the injuries at WR and the likely moving of our most highly paid LB. Some would argue that the needs at WR and OLB are really not any worse than in 2009. We just didn't meet them then, and we are now one year later.

Never said they were spending more per player, but they might be far more active and pick up a bunch of quality free agents. Like they did in 2003 and 2007 (ironically Colvin and Thomas years).

When did he rescind the request? It was approved by the state, last I heard.

Reiss said today in his chat that he would be surprised if teams used the uncapped yr and spent a lot because if there is a cap in the future say 2011 they could be in trouble handling those salaries.According to him its a little overhyped.

Well, this goes hand in hand. If there is a cap, the Pats could be close to $40 million under the cap based on the cap following recent trends and being around $132 million. According to Miguel, the Pats current cap number is $94.4 million. He has the Pats cap number in 2011 at $57 million. So cap or no cap, the Pats are in position to spend money.

Guys the Pats success was never built off of going out and shelling out hordes of money on big name UFAs. It was built on building the team internally and through character players.

I know it seems easy to say lets go sign some big name UFAs because it would seemingly help get back to the run and gun style of 2007, but that isn't the way to go.

Hell even the Colts who are the kings of the high flying pass heavy game build their team from inside and not through signing established stars.

The Pats should either say a) we want to be a pass heavy, air it out team like in 2007 and like the Colts and then step back and rebuild internally to fit that scheme, or b) we want to be the same kind of Pats team that won Superbowls in the 2000s by making tight, right plays and grinding it out, and then step back and reshape themselves to be that way again.

Right now its like they're stuck in between. The Pats will never have the stacked team they had in 2007 ever again. That receiving corp was almost vulgar. But they COULD restructure the team to resemble their old defensively strong, grind it out offensive style.

A footbridge over a state highway is not something someone can finance and build privately. That is something the state would have to do and finance.

That is correct. This is not allowed, by law.

Guys the Pats success was never built off of going out and shelling out hordes of money on big name UFAs. It was built on building the team internally and through character players.

I know it seems easy to say lets go sign some big name UFAs because it would seemingly help get back to the run and gun style of 2007, but that isn't the way to go.

Hell even the Colts who are the kings of the high flying pass heavy game build their team from inside and not through signing established stars.

The Pats should either say a) we want to be a pass heavy, air it out team like in 2007 and like the Colts and then step back and rebuild internally to fit that scheme, or b) we want to be the same kind of Pats team that won Superbowls in the 2000s by making tight, right plays and grinding it out, and then step back and reshape themselves to be that way again.

Right now its like they're stuck in between. The Pats will never have the stacked team they had in 2007 ever again. That receiving corp was almost vulgar. But they COULD restructure the team to resemble their old defensively strong, grind it out offensive style.

The Colts sign established stars, they just don't do it externally: Manning, Wayne, Sanders...

We will be active in the free agent market as we were in 2009 when we picked up Bodden, McGowan, Taylor and Banta-Cain. We also picked up some failures.

Free agent needs are bit more this year, with the injuries at WR and the likely moving of our most highly paid LB. Some would argue that the needs at WR and OLB are really not any worse than in 2009. We just didn't meet them then, and we are now one year later.

Well, the difference is that in 2003 and 2007, the Pats went after higher tier players. In 2009, they went after the low cost, low interest players. In 2003, both Colvin and Harrison were much sought after and had multiple offers. In 2007, Thomas was the top free agent, Stallworth had a lot of interest, Weilker would have had interest if he wasn't a RFA with a second round tender. In 2009, McGowen and TBC were journeymen who weren't exactly on many teams radar. Bodden had some, but not a lot of interest. Taylor and Springs were consider older free agents with not much tread on the tire.

I think the Pats are in better position to find players who can play much better at our needs than their current players now and in the future than last year.

Excellent point on the OLB and WR issues. Bravo!
DW Toys

Never said they were spending more per player, but they might be far more active and pick up a bunch of quality free agents. Like they did in 2003 and 2007 (ironically Colvin and Thomas years). Personally, in this economy and with Jerry Jones' hands tied with the final eight teams rules, I don't see many players getting paid much more than they would in a capped year.

The CBA doesn't prevent him from overspending to lock up his own players, though. :):(

The 2001 Super Bowl was primarily won through free agency. In fact, many of the starters and most key players during the Super Bowl era were acquired in free agency (or trades) including Mike Vrabel, Roman Phifer, Rodney Harrison, Ted Washington, Corey Dillon, Larry Izzo, Joe Andruzzi, Bobby Hamilton, David Patten, Christian Fauria, Otis Smith, Tyrone Poole (he was key in 2003), Keith Traylor, and Rosey Colvin. How did the Pats build these guys internally?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes