PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: "Some are speculating Merriman to Pats"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just saying ever since they lost the effective Merriman, SD has never recovered on defense. When you're 6 games into the season, and your the caliber player Merriman is and you still only have 15 tackles, something is wrong bar none. I think a lot of SD's struggles this year are because they depend on a guy like Merriman to spark the front 7, that just doesn't happen.

Umm, no ****. Nobody is arguing otherwise.

Ah, so we're counting the playoffs, and not regular season games. Nice job conveniently cutting it off right after the 6 sacks in weeks 12, 13, 14 of 2007.

So, we've got 6 games of him playing with a blown knee, 3 playoff games, and then the last 2 games of the season where his team had already locked up the division and he had very little playing time.

And you want to use that as an argument for how he wasn't all that good before he got hurt?

You are confusing me with the other posters. I stated that Merriman was an absolute terror.

The fact is that in his last 11 starts he has 2 sacks. If you chose to discount that in your analysis of him as a player and a risk, feel free.

Please point out where I have said that his knee injury is not going to affect him going forward. Please point out where I have said that he is going to be a stud going forward. I have not mentioned his production going forward once, but you continue to put up that strawman.

I am simply countering your inane argument that he was bad before the injury. Prior to getting hurt, and up until he got hurt, he was one of the best pass rushers in the NFL.

Who has said he used to suck?

Please point out where I have said that his knee injury is not going to affect him going forward. Please point out where I have said that he is going to be a stud going forward. I have not mentioned his production going forward once, but you continue to put up that strawman.

I am simply countering your inane argument that he was bad before the injury. Prior to getting hurt, and up until he got hurt, he was one of the best pass rushers in the NFL.

im not trying to make that argument, when I said he has sucked since his suspension, I'm trying to say his career since his suspension as a whole. You, instead, have decided to take that to mean that I said he sucked in 2007, which is not my argument. He had a great 2007. He got tragically hurt in 2008, and he has a negligible impact in 2009. would you say he's had a great career after 2006?

Umm, no ****. Nobody is arguing otherwise.

OK, look. I see from your posts you're not sounding too smart today, but here you really look dumb. The whole point of that post is why it wouldn't be a good idea to trade for the guy. You seem to be arguing otherwise.

OK, look. I see from your posts you're not sounding too smart today, but here you really look dumb. The whole point of that post is why it wouldn't be a good idea to trade for the guy. You seem to be arguing otherwise.

No, I'm not. Read my posts. I don't think they should trade for him. He'd be a one year rental and hes not back from injury fully. Lockdown keeps insisting he sucked before getting hurt.

im not trying to make that argument, when I said he has sucked since his suspension, I'm trying to say his career since his suspension as a whole. You, instead, have decided to take that to mean that I said he sucked in 2007, which is not my argument. He had a great 2007. He got tragically hurt in 2008, and he has a negligible impact in 2009. would you say he's had a great career after 2006?

His whole career since his suspension is the last 5 games of 2006 and all of 2007. HE MISSED ALL OF 2008 WITH INJURY, AND HAS PLAYED A TOTAL OF 6 GAMES SINCE GETTING HURT, ONE OF WHICH HE WAS PULLED IN THE FIRST QUARTER BECAUSE OF THE KNEE INJURY.

The majority of his career after suspension has been fantastic.

Last edited:
No, I'm not. Read my posts. I don't think they should trade for him. He'd be a one year rental and hes not back from injury fully. Lockdown keeps insisting he sucked before getting hurt.

No, he's saying he has sucked since his injury. You're so against the trade, yet you're rapdily defending the guy. Hard to say his career after suspension has been great. Good season in 07, out all year last year, a ghost this year.

so far, he's looking 1/3. That's not fantastic.

His whole career since his suspension is the last 5 games of 2006 and all of 2007. HE MISSED ALL OF 2008 WITH INJURY, AND HAS PLAYED A TOTAL OF 6 GAMES SINCE GETTING HURT, ONE OF WHICH HE WAS PULLED IN THE FIRST QUARTER BECAUSE OF THE KNEE INJURY.

The majority of his career after suspension has been fantastic.

Look, to me it says 1 great year, two terrible years (whether its his fault or not) and the two terrible years are more recent. In the majority of the games he's played, if that's what you want to keep harping on, sure, he played very well in 2007. In terms of actual time, and stats that he has put up in 2007, 2008, and 2009, he has not had a great 3 years.

Look, to me it says 1 great year, two terrible years (whether its his fault or not) and the two terrible years are more recent. In the majority of the games he's played, if that's what you want to keep harping on, sure, he played very well in 2007. In terms of actual time, and stats that he has put up in 2007, 2008, and 2009, he has not had a great 3 years.

Just to throw it in there, its not been 3 years. Not that it's looking like it'll happen, but if dude bounces back this year and goes sack crazy from here on out this argument goes down the drain. A little too early for this, but 6 games in and still ineffective? That's not looking like we're seeing any hope for progress.

Okay, so Tom Brady, has had 1 great year, 1 terrible year, and one mediocre year. We should trade him too, he must suck.

Lockdown, you were arguing earlier that he sucked between the injury and the suspension. He didn't. He was fantastic. yes, since he got hurt, he has been bad, but like I've said, injuries take time to recover from, and hes 5 games back from a blown ACL. Prior to the injury, he was one of the top 2 or 3 pass rushers in football. Do you disagree?

NFL GMs don't say "He sucked in 2008". They say "he was hurt".

Last edited:
Just to throw it in there, its not been 3 years. Not that it's looking like it'll happen, but if dude bounces back this year and goes sack crazy from here on out this argument goes down the drain. A little too early for this, but 6 games in and still ineffective? That's not looking like we're seeing any hope for progress.

that's fair too - he certainly has time to put up tons of sacks this year and if he does it i will come back here and eat my crow.

Okay, so Tom Brady, has had 1 great year, 1 terrible year, and one mediocre year. We should trade him too, he must suck.

When did Brady have a terrible year or a mediocre one?

At this point, NFL GMs will say that Merriman has not stayed healthy or been productive when he has been on the field since Jan of 2008.

Last edited:

He's 5 games in, one. His team has played the Steelers, Ravens, and Denver, and played from behind in most of the time in those games. His TEAM has a grand total of 7 sacks in those 5 games. They're missing their probowl NT, and one of their DEs keeps getting hurt. What the hell do you expect?

Just read in my recent Patriots Football weekly that Merriman recently went public and ripped the San Diego GM pretty hard. If anyone is interested I will provide the quotes.

Lockdown, you were arguing earlier that he sucked between the injury and the suspension. He didn't. He was fantastic. yes, since he got hurt, he has been bad, but like I've said, injuries take time to recover from, and hes 5 games back from a blown ACL. Prior to the injury, he was one of the top 2 or 3 pass rushers in football. Do you disagree?

Synovia, please show me where i explicitly stated that in between in the injury and suspension is where he did terribly. I did say that he has been bad since his suspension, so i get where you're coming from - and that's poor language on my part. I will say that there have been 2 and a half NFL seasons since 2006, and if you take those 2 and a half seasons and look at them overall, he hasnt had as much of an impact as he did in 2006 and years previous to that. That was all i was trying to say.

Also, the Tom Brady example isn't one that I would have used - the injuries are the same but Brady looked to struggle earlier this year and has started to look better, while merriman's production thus far hasnt really had any positive signs

Just read in my recent Patriots Football weekly that Merriman recently went public and ripped the San Diego GM pretty hard. If anyone is interested I will provide the quotes.

He was POed that hes not getting the $$$ he wants. typical.

He was POed that hes not getting the $$$ he wants. typical.

Actually no this was a whole different rant. The GM, Smith, let the team have it for their poor play this season. Merriman basically told him to stuff it.

Not a fan of the guy, but to everyone saying he's done...

Seau was done. Moss was done. Harrison was done. And I suppose more knowledgeable fans than me can rhyme off even more names.

I wouldn't mind him, but I don't think he will be much of a help this season. He's clearly not as explosive as he was pre injury. And he may not get that explosiveness until next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back