PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT Rumor Mill: Surprise retirement coming...

Status
Not open for further replies.
pats1 said:
It was the Chiefs' John Welbourn:

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

It's not Welbourn:

From PFT:
WELBOURN RETIRES FROM CHIEFS

Though it would be very easy for us to claim that the possible surprise retirement to which we were referring earlier on Thursday was Chiefs tackle John Welbourn, who only hours after our story was posted walked away from the sport at the age of 30, we weren't referring to Welbourn.

Regardless, the veteran offensive lineman is packing it in, effective immediately. "I decided to retire on my own terms rather than somebody else's," Welbourn told the AP.

Given that Welbourn was suspended for four games in 2005 for violating the league's steroid policy, the "somebody else's" terms to which he refers could be a looming suspension for another violation.

The league's steroid policy requires a suspension of at least four games for a first offense, a suspension of at least six games for a second offense, and a suspension of at least one year for a third offense.

Of course, we're not reporting that Welbourn has committed a second or a third violation of the policy (primarily because we've allowed our liability insurance to lapse). But any time a player with a history of violating either the substance abuse policy or the steroid policy abruptly walks away from the game, there will be speculation that the guy walked before he got run.

Last edited:
PonyExpress said:
Mark Brunell, Trent Dilfer, Warren Sapp.

Sapp? Didn't he make a promise before the game against us???;)

I know this is completely wrong, but it would be really shocking if it was Ty Law.

How about:

Curtis Martin
Brett Favre
Ben Hamburgerler
Tony Dungy
Priets Holmes

Okay lets say, Collins, Pennington, Fiedler, or Sapp.?

These are my possibles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zack Thomas, Curtis Martin, Pennington, Sapp, Strahan, Dilfer, Kurt Warner, Willie Roaf, Brunell, Holmes, McNair, Peter Boulware, Isaac Bruce, Kennison, Grossman, Boston, I could name alot more that should...

Reggie Bush :rolleyes: Okay, veteran, darn, Ray Lewis?

I'll guess Brad Johnson but it wouldn't be much of a Surprise.

NavinR.Johnson said:
I'll guess Brad Johnson but it wouldn't be much of a Surprise.
I disagree, Brad is the starter after bringing them back last season, you'd think he'd be staying.

Box_O_Rocks said:
I disagree, Brad is the starter after bringing them back last season, you'd think he'd be staying.
I agree...who is that who has said they'd stay and.....now retire...

Pats726 said:
I agree...who is that who has said they'd stay and.....now retire...
Randy Moss? Endless options...

Simple. It's Peyton Manning. Realized that it was futile to remain in the AFC with Belichick and Brady owning him. The loss to the Squealers sealed the deal.

PatsWickedPissah said:
Simple. It's Peyton Manning. Realized that it was futile to remain in the AFC with Belichick and Brady owning him. The loss to the Squealers sealed the deal.
:rofl: :rofl: Good one!!
Actually I'd heard that since the Bus had retired, Payton realized that he'd have nothing to throw his teammates under, so decided to call it a day!!:p

bball831 said:
I know this is completely wrong, but it would be really shocking if it was Ty Law.

Maybe it's not that wrong. I was thinking the same thing. Considering he hasn't signed with anyone yet, maybe his pride won't allow him to sign a smaller contract and he has just decided to hang them up instead.

huskeralk said:
Maybe it's not that wrong. I was thinking the same thing. Considering he hasn't signed with anyone yet, maybe his pride won't allow him to sign a smaller contract and he has just decided to hang them up instead.
Who will feed the family???? I may be naive..but he's about the money ...and some is better than a LOT less...

I am thinking Steve McNair. Perhaps he was not as happy as he thought he would be with the Ravens and realized that he's gone as far as he can go. Seems likely to me.

Hank Poteat!:(

Pats726 said:
Rodney...Troy??? Nah...RH wouldn't be rehabbing as crazy as has...TB?? He is said to have looked a LOT younger..in shape...NO...A vet who said he'd be back....Hmmmmmm

Watch what you post on this board, buster.:enranged:

Please read the message in my sig. Rodney will be back for the first regular season game. He will make the Pro Bowl and AFC Comeback Player of the year. And, oh yes, will have another SB ring.:rocker:

ya

PATSNUTme said:
Watch what you post on this board, buster.:enranged:

Please read the message in my sig. Rodney will be back for the first regular season game. He will make the Pro Bowl and AFC Comeback Player of the year. And, oh yes, will have another SB ring.:rocker:

Let's not get carried away! He will do everything you said, but prob not a probowl. The ******s that are the voters won't put him in there no matter what. On the NFL network special the other night it mentioned that between 96 and 04 he had the most tackles in the NFL---and no probowl??? In fact, that is one thing that he really pulls his "no respect" card from--the fact that he's never been to a probowl.

Let those guys go to the probowl, and we will keep going to the superbowl:rocker: :eat1:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
Back