PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT Rumor Mill: Surprise retirement coming...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill's Girl said:
It said veteran "player" BF....let's not go and get everyone into a panic! I am the one who has to deal with the frantic emails.....:rolleyes:

She means me. But don't worry, just came back from a very relaxing weekend away and am totally mellowed out. (Besides the item said "player") I'm pretty sure that if BB decided to retire there wouldn't be even a hint of a rumor about it.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Well that was fun while it lasted

Now, I guess we are back to "has Ty Law signed yet?".

Finally :D

POSTED 8:55 a.m. EDT, July 28, 2006
ROAF RETIRING?
The Kansas City Star reports that the Chiefs have excused left tackle Willie Roaf from the start of training camp for personal reasons, days after coach Herm Edwards said that Roaf would be present.

Though we've heard nothing specific regarding whether and when Roaf will be back, we're now willing to disclose that Roaf is the guy to whom we were referring several weeks back as the candidate for a surprise retirement. We were later told that he wasn't going to be retiring, so we never identified him by name.

But now we're not so sure. We haven't heard anything specific along these lines, other than the rumors from earlier in the summer that he was thinking about packing it in notwithstanding a declaration from May that he would play.

If Roaf calls it quits, the team would lose both of its starting tackles from 2005, raising the possibility that newcomer Kyle Turley would win a spot with the first team despite a lengthy absence from the game.

So to all of those Chiefs fans who wanted us to adjust our Preseason Power Rankings to account for the arrival of Ty Law, the move would at least be balanced out by Roaf's retirement.

Stay tuned.

T-ShirtDynasty said:

Wow, if Roaf retires, that would be really messed up. I read an article a while back where Shields said the only reason he came back was because he talked with Roaf and they both agreed they should go one more season. Way to leave your friend hanging like that.

It wasn't Roaf. The "surprise" guy was going to be Mark Brunell. Clinton Portis said it on NFL Network that the Redskins let him skip mini camp because he was thinking of retiring.

Roaf retired today..

So welcome to KC Chiefs camp Ty. Your QB will be on his ass for most of the season. Wonder how that will affect you and Herm's "unfinished business."

T-ShirtDynasty said:

On these "suprise retirement" or "suprise announcement" claims, PFT is about as as realiable as Chad Pennington's crackling rotator cuff. Rarely if ever does something come of it. How many guys has he had the Pats interested in or close to signing over the years?

Last edited:
SoonerPatriot said:
On these "suprise retirement" or "suprise announcement" claims, PFT is about as as realiable as Chad Pennington's crackling rotator cuff. Rarely if ever does something come of it. How many guys has he had the Pats interested in or close to signing over the years?

Well, they were dead nuts on with the Roaf retirement.

huskeralk said:

Even a blind squirel finds a nut now and again. I enjoy his writing. Just dont think he's right very often.

local paper here in CT had Tiki Barber considering retirement "if the right job offer came along". Apparently it sounds like he wants to make the jump into broadcasting and after the first practice told reporters he would consider it if the right offer was there.

huskeralk said:
Did they say it was going to be Roaf? If so, they were indeed dead nuts on.

But if they jsut said someone will retire. Whoo hoo. Be still my heart. Why not get daring and predict someone will get injured and go on IR? Or that a first round pick will be a bust and a late round pick will surprise.

For me, I predict that during the coming season someone will initiate an off-post thread. When it happens, remember: I predicted it first :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes