Welcome to PatsFans.com

PFT: Broncos P Sauerbrun gets 4-game suspension for Ephedra

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by pats1, Jul 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Last edited: Jul 6, 2006
  2. shakadave

shakadave In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Will he face New England?

3. Seymour93

Seymour93 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

If the PFT rumour is true, then no he won't - the Pats and Broncos play on Week 3.

4. RPCity

RPCity Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Sauerbrun still on supplements? There's a big freaking suprise.

5. Remix 6

Remix 6 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

still? no..this happened few years ago and i think hes only active panther that did it. he probably doesnt use it now..but did

6. Keegs

Keegs In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

that explains the fumble

7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +429 / 12 / -26

A reasonable person might think after all that press in Carolina last year, he mighta stopped...guess not..dumbass, if I were a Bronco fan would be pissed.

8. Pats726

Pats726 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Too badhe will not face the Pats..would love to see someone take him out...He's a big mouth punter as well..

9. Patriotic

Patriotic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Sauerbrun gets booted

Second time getting fingered? He must be kicking himself.

10. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +534 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

I cannot believe that Ephedra is a suspendable substance. Stupid overeaction IMO.

11. pats1

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

It has killed many (including the Orioles' Steve Belcher in 2003). It's a smart move by the NFL. The FDA also banned the uncontrolled sale of it in 2003. It's also illegal in 3 states.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2006
  12. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +534 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

As far as I can tell it's only killed people who don't follow the usage instructions. It's perfectly harmless if taken in appropriate doses.

13. pats1

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

But the league can't rely on every player taking it following the correct usage. The consequences are just too, well, deadly.

14. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +534 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

Well there's a lot of things which can kill you if you overdo it. It's just stupid IMO - and don't get me started on the FDA's role in this (and no, I don't take ephedra but I have zero respect for what the government tells us is healthy and not).

15. Lloyd_Christmas

Lloyd_Christmas I can delete my own crap! PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Well, I won't get into the FDA, but as for the NFL... they are a business... they have to protect their product as well as prevent lawsuits like the one that brought about this substance ban.

I think they are smart to ban it simply because it is bad PR to have a player drop dead at practice... even if he did use the drug incorrectly. It is also bad PR to appear to condone steroid and/or drug use. I'm sure it is still happening, but the NFL has to at least appear as if they are serious about stopping it.

16. richpats

richpats Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I hope Bronco fans don't use that as an excuse as they did with Elam in '03.

17. 5 Rings for Brady!!

5 Rings for Brady!! In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I understand exactly what you are saying about the FDA, which is a pawn to various lobbyists that want to sell synthetic chemicals and ban natural herbal supplements. It is a very serious problem for anyone practicing safe alternative health habits.

But it doesn't really apply here, because ephedra can give you a heart attack when used in the doses that an athlete would need to achieve a quick weight loss, like in the Vikings case, or perhaps for energy, like maybe Sauerbrun. It is not safe for athletes to use without clear supervision, and then go out and smack each other around in the heat for 3 hours. People in the NFL have died from it already, and the NFL has been sued.

We all know that a potential lawsuit is more important to NFL owners than anything else. And those of us that care about such things also understand that the FDA is corrupt as hell! ;)

18. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +750 / 16 / -7

#3 Jersey

There are a lot of problems with the FDA, but, to be fair, it has had its successes (e.g., it prevented the thalidomide disaster from reaching the US).

Part of this is a perception problem: people automatically assume "natural" means "safe." Hemlock is natural, but I wouldn't drink it. ;)

Seriously, though, I see why the ban is place, even if I have my reservations about it.

[OT: Worse still is when people talk about natural products being "chemical-free" . . . unless you're working in a plasma physics lab or something similar, everything you encounter in your day-to-day life is made of chemicals!]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2006
  19. 5 Rings for Brady!!

5 Rings for Brady!! In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

OT: The FDA has done way more good things than bad, no doubt. It is too bad that they are easily influenced thru politics, lobbying, big business, ect.

The NFL needs to have their own set of requirements regardless of the FDA, because the NFL wants to avoid lawsuits as well as protect the players from 'overdoing it' on natural or chemical supplements. In the long run, the safety of athletes is most important and it is better to err on the side of caution. Athletes can always eat more Wheaties and live a health lifestyle, rather than depend on supplements as a magic bullet.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2005
  20. T-ShirtDynasty

T-ShirtDynasty Moderator

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Flat out wrong. Ephedra and fat loss has been tested and researched to death, results overwhelmingly point to 25mg combined with 200mg caffiene (they work synergistically, ephedra alone is almost useless), three times a day provides the fastest fat loss while preserving lean body mass. Taking more does nothing to promote faster fat loss, some studies show that adding more slows down the positive response. That same 75mg/600mg per day dosage has been tested in large groups and long term (I believe the longest was a 5 year clinical trial, either in Belgium or Harvard Medical School) and shows conclusively no increase risk of heart attack or stroke, and absolutely no negative side effects of any kind, long term.

And that's where the abuse comes in, and the only reason an NFL ban makes sense. With regular use, the effect ephedra has on your beta-1 and beta-2 receptors gets down-regulated by your body, and that's where the energy, jitters, and general 'stimulant' effects come from. (By the way, the effect on the beta-3 receptors does not down-regulate with continued use, and that's where the fat burning effect comes from... something the pharmacutical companies have been trying forever to replicate.) So, like you said, if taking it for energy, the player would either have to cycle it and come off it a while, or take more, and that IS when the abuse becomes dangerous, especially combined with heat, sun, and most importantly, improper hydration.

The NFL ban makes sense, the FDA ban made no sense, which is why it was overturned in a federal court. Thank God. (10% Body Fat, here I come.) :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.