PFT: Disaster Looming for Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_T26

Banned
Reaction score
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

DISASTER LOOMING FOR JETS

Multiple league insiders believe in the wake of the decision of the Jets to elevate Mike Tannenbaum to General Manager that the two utes who'll now be running the show in New York will destroy the franchise.

The thinking is that, while both Tannenbaum, 36, and head coach Eric Mangini, 35, are talented, neither is ready for the job they now hold.

As one league source told us, "[It's] just another case of a cap guy taking over a team. A guy who is not and never will be a football guy. There is no one in the Jet organization capable of making a good personnel decision. When will these owners learn that in order to win, football people have to make football decisions? I am not sticking up for Terry [Bradway], I am just speaking out against a cap guy who doesn't have a clue about football. They control the money and they think they know something about the game. Trust me, the Jets will be losers for years. The Giants must be happy because they will have no competition from the other New York team."

And this train wreck couldn't be playing out in a worse city. On Tuesday afternoon, Tannenbaum came off as flustered and nervous while taking questions from WFAN's Mike Francesa and Chris Russo that, by New York media standards, were Styrofoam softballs dipped in powdered sugar.

The root of the problem, as Francesa and Russo pointed out, is that Tannenbaum's stated commitment to getting the players that Mangini needs could be problematic, since Mangini doesn't quite know what he needs. And there will be a time when Mangini wants one guy and the scouts want another guy and Tannenbaum will be called upon to make a final decision.

But he doesn't have the credentials or the experience to do it.

In a few months, he won't have Bradway to turn to for advice. Although we heard earlier on Tuesday that Bradway had the option to leave after being demoted, one league source explained to us that there's no way the team would have let him bolt before the draft, given that he's already got months of research that he could have carried to a new team.

Likewise, several league insiders expect that, not long after the draft, Bradway will hit the highway.

So Bradway is essentially done, even though he'll finish out the next couple of months as a member of the organization.

The next question, then, is where Tannenbaum will turn for personnel expertise after Bradway goes. If Tannenbaum has the same kind of trouble that Mangini did when the time came to hire a staff, major problems are indeed brewing in Gotham.

In fact, Tannenbaum might have trouble keeping his scouts on board. If he's going to continue to suggest that he has figured out by osmosis how to evaluate personnel over the past five season, he'll lose any and all credibility that he ever had in the organization.

So based on what we're hearing, we expect a full and complete house cleaning in two or three years. Mangini and Tannenbaum will move on in the business, and they might ultimately be extremely successful. But the coming couple of seasons in New York could help to redefine the word "suck."

POSTED 1:33 p.m. EST; LAST UPDATED 1:46 p.m. EST, February 7. 2006

That is beautiful

at last , the karma has caught up to the weasly, back door, jealous green morons

They brought in the "cap man" because Bradway has absolutely ruined the team with his "football" decisions, whole ignoring the cap. There will need to be a turnover. We won't ahve to worry about the jets for at least three years, as they go through cap he$$. They must be $30M over the cap.

As far as choosing players, if Mangini's choices don't get made instead of the scouts' choices, then Mangini will be gone in 2-3 years, having collected enough money to support his family for the rest of their lives.

If you have a clueless owner like Woody J, you are hosed, I feel bad for the mess Mangini is in.

Thank God for the Krafts.

It's not the end of the Jets yet, for all his inexperience you have to think Mangini has had a better example then Bradway when it comes to rebuilding an organization. He may be scrapping to put together a staff with less experienced personnel, but he knows how to teach and he learned under one of the better 'coach' trainers in the business. Even if he winds up grabbing some hungry young scouts and personnel guys, remember the Jets aren't a solo scouting organization like New England. AND, the Pats may have kept Dimitroff, but there are other members on that staff that might be looking for more responsibility.

Mangini has do well enough in the draft and in camp with a developing staff. He's learned at the master's feet. However, and it is a big however, he doesn't have the ownership of the pats and he doesn't have Pioli.

I count the jets out because of their cap issues. I think that they have three years of cap issues, two if there is a capless year. They may try to do it all in 2006, but that would mean cutting Martin and Pennington, and trading Abraham, just for starters.

R_T26 said:
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm
And this train wreck couldn't be playing out in a worse city. On Tuesday afternoon, Tannenbaum came off as flustered and nervous while taking questions from WFAN's Mike Francesa and Chris Russo that, by New York media standards, were Styrofoam softballs dipped in powdered sugar.

Mangini also was flustered and nervous at his intro as Jets coach. Might not mean anything though. People sure are trying to bury the Jets pretty deep. We'll see.

mgteich said:
Mangini has do well enough in the draft and in camp with a developing staff. He's learned at the master's feet. However, and it is a big however, he doesn't have the ownership of the pats and he doesn't have Pioli.

I count the jets out because of their cap issues. I think that they have three years of cap issues, two if there is a capless year. They may try to do it all in 2006, but that would mean cutting Martin and Pennington, and trading Abraham, just for starters.

I'm sure Mangini learned much at the master's feet but I doubt he got much crossover FO experience as a position coach nor would he have had much involvement in talent evaluation. And installing the BB accountability system takes a little cache with today's NFL athlete.

I saw a bit of Tannenbaum's PC today and it was as if he was trying to convince his audience he'd seen enough (the osmosis method) to handle all aspects of the job. Odd thing is he's been there ltwice as long as Bradway, dating back to the Tuna melt cap days. Don't know what his job was then (could have been cap guys gopher) but you gotta wonder...plus BB and SP didn't spring him like they did Mangini and others.

I think Woody tried to jerry rig his own version of Belioli - but I'm not sure Tanngini is gonna morph into anything resembling that caliber of 1-2 punch any time soon. They don't even have a half a staff between them.

On All Access tonight Schefter said that word out of NY is they are planning to franchise Abraham (ouch - $8M+). Noodle is going to cost them a bundle whether he stays or goes over the next two seasons, and Curtis is basically $8M to stay and $6M to go unless he restructures. Even old Ty is $6.5M to stay and $3.5M to go because of that money they gave him in December in some sort of cap saving deal I never understood. Of course having already pocketed that cash he'll scream bloody murder if they don't let him walk now on his 10 INT season.

Mangini seems to be in a comparable situation that Belichick was at his go round in Cleveland, while I do not suspect him to bring this franchise back, I would think that this may lay groundwork for him 10 years from now. If I were a Jets fan I would me mightily pissed about all of these developments.

Rewind about 3 months when the Pats were ranked 30th in D, did you ever imagine in your wildest dreams that our FIRST YEAR DC would be head coach of an NFL team? I don't care if he's the next BB, even BB screwed up in Cleveland. What a joke - we could be looking at a good candidate for 0-16. At least there's 2 gimmies for us <knock on wood>

Last edited:
richpats said:
Rewind about 3 months when the Pats were ranked 30th in D,

That was brought up yesterday on "Mike and the Mad Dog"....Mike was blurting out that it wasnt until BillB took over did the D finally turn around.

richpats said:
Rewind about 3 months when the Pats were ranked 30th in D, did you ever imagine in your wildest dreams that our FIRST YEAR DC would be head coach of an NFL team? I don't care if he's the next BB, even BB screwed up in Cleveland. What a joke - we could be looking at a good candidate for 0-16. At least there's 2 gimmies for us <knock on wood>

Not that there is any direct comparison here, but I think Mike Ditka was only a special teams coach or positional assistant with Dallas before he got the Bears' head coaching job. So there is precedent for guys with no proven coaching track record doing well as head coaches.

I predict some pithy and biting new lyrics to "Oh Tannenbaum" around next Christmas.

You mean that they think even a bigger diaster than last year is looming for the Jest?:rocker:

typical, whats good for the goose is not good for the gander mentality of Pats fans. Anytime a Patsy goes to NY, suddenly all the Pats fans talk crap against whoever left. CuMart, Law, Mangini. It will never end....

Enough bad things can't happen to the Just End The Sufferings and the ballbags who are their fans; see above...............

Tanngini ... that's nice, Mo!

Oh Tannenbaum, too, Joe Six.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes