PFT: Branch will cave before 9/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_T26

Banned
Reaction score
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

BRANCH CAVING BEFORE SEPTEMBER 10?

A league source with first-hand experience in contract negotiations and player holdouts tells us that, in his opinion, Patriots receiver Deion Branch will end his holdout and join the team before the regular season begins.

The source focuses on Branch's recent statement that "everything's going to work out." Said the source, "That was a surrender comment. The kid is going in and he will sign a deal with [Jason] Chayut or another agent. No doubt in my mind. He was a second rounder and does not have millions in the bank."

Branch's base salary for 2006 is $1.045 million, which equates to more than $61,000 per week. The team previously offered a multi-year extension to Branch, but the deal reportedly was pulled off of the table. Still, if Branch reports in time for the start of the regular season, it's likely that the team will eventually get back to where they were, or close to it.

And even if Branch comes in after the preseason, he'll be no worse off then he was in 2005, when (according to the Gamebooks available via the 2005 preseason stats pages on NFL.com) Branch played in no preseason games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: PFT: Branch will cave before 10/10

R_T26 said:

A league source with first-hand experience in contract negotiations and player holdouts tells us that, in his opinion, Patriots receiver Deion Branch will end his holdout and join the team before the regular season begins.

The source focuses on Branch's recent statement that "everything's going to work out." Said the source, "That was a surrender comment. The kid is going in and he will sign a deal with [Jason] Chayut or another agent. No doubt in my mind. He was a second rounder and does not have millions in the bank."

Branch's base salary for 2006 is $1.045 million, which equates to more than $61,000 per week. The team previously offered a multi-year extension to Branch, but the deal reportedly was pulled off of the table. Still, if Branch reports in time for the start of the regular season, it's likely that the team will eventually get back to where they were, or close to it.

And even if Branch comes in after the preseason, he'll be no worse off then he was in 2005, when (according to the Gamebooks available via the 2005 preseason stats pages on NFL.com) Branch played in no preseason games.

I could see when he did that TV interview this week he was starting to crack. You could just see it in his demeanor. There was an angle to play with giving the interview in the first place, and I don't thnk it was to soften his image among fans or to promote some lame hoops event he was attending.

I'm so sick of these BS rumors. When I see Branch in camp, then I can be happy, but all this BS has to stop.

September is the 9th month of the year. :)

Last edited:

scott99 said:
I'm so sick of these BS rumors. When I see Branch in camp, then I can be happy, but all this BS has to stop.
It wont stop.

Dats right Deion, cave in. I'll still forgive you if you join the team by the opener despite your annoying and ridiculous holdout.

R_T26 said:

Duh... that is what most of us think will happen because the alternative is beyond stupid. ;)

I think this is the first PFT rumor about his return...and the fact that they mentioned it is a lot more credible than others...and of course it makes SENSE!! I mean...he's losing money left and right and ay some point..it does NOT make sense to keep losing it...I also think if he was out for a season game, the fines WOULD HAVE been given to him..I think the Pats will waive them..in good faith..don't fines like that go to charity???
If true..that would be VERY big!! A real boost to this team!!

If you notice, when discussing the source they said it was his "opinion"

This source probably has no credible information other then what he thinks will happen.

This whole thing is getting way too much play, my opinion of Branch has diminished significantly, I know his agent is doing most of the talking, so get a new agent..

He and Chayut should STFU and get down to serious negotiations and get him back on the field. I have no patience for all this posturing, particularly as the Pats are keeping their mouths shut about the whole matter. Hard time tantruming by yourself.

Branch is just getting more press now from the media because he is the one and only holdout left. No one else to talk about so expect a flurry of Branch articles, even more than what we've seen so far.

smg93 said:
Branch is just getting more press now from the media because he is the one and only holdout left. No one else to talk about so expect a flurry of Branch articles, even more than what we've seen so far.
True..it's all about the Twig now...but at some point he has to get into camp bottom line. The media can write all the stories they want, but they have to come tp the conclusion of how stipid he has been...principled yes, but in a DUMB way. Articles don't pay the bills..and unless he gets back into camp, he won't be seeing much.

Pats726 said:
True..it's all about the Twig now...but at some point he has to get into camp bottom line. The media can write all the stories they want, but they have to come tp the conclusion of how stipid he has been...principled yes, but in a DUMB way. Articles don't pay the bills..and unless he gets back into camp, he won't be seeing much.

Not sure how "principled" someone is if they don't honor their contract. Stubborn, I would agree with. Oh yeah, I do agree with you about how stupid he has handled the situation as well.

I wonder if Belichick gets involved in this stuff at all. If I were him I would call Deion after this game and tell him, "I don't know what your plans are, Deion, but here are mine. If you aren't here by next week and you miss one second of the regular season, I'm going to suspend you for the season for conduct detrimental to the team. You've become a major distraction, not only to me, but to your friend Tom Brady, and I'm not going to let the season slip away before it even starts. Have a good day."

10/10 is October 10th...you might want to change the thread title (edit -> advanced edit)

I think that it is clear. Branch before the season begins will sign and we are going to be all contentments. I am safe.

MoLewisrocks said:
Duh... that is what most of us think will happen because the alternative is beyond stupid. ;)

Whew! Stupidity has been outlawed in the NFL! Great!

From Reiss' Friday morning piece, this quote from Brady is another hint that enthusiasm is waning and the Deion situation is beginning to get old and wear on even his most ardent supporters. The players are inching close to moving on time, and that resignation and gradual attitude shift will begin to shift the balance on Deion's number of tough days...

"Another day of practice, another day in receiver Deion Branch's holdout.

``It's so labored for the players and for me talking about it, hopefully this situation comes to an end [so] we have our full team here and we put guys on the field -- the most capable guys we have," Brady said. ``I'd love to see where we stand when that happens."

You will notice Brady didn't say hopefully they get a deal done, he said hopefully this situation comes to an end. Deion getting his is getting less important to them by the (practice) day, and the week 3 pre-season game is when the internal bell begins to go off for the starters that the season is upon us. Week 4 is for for determining the 16 guys who fill out the roster and PS, and when the coaches and starters commence two weeks of increasingly game planning for operning day.

Last edited:

smg93 said:
Not sure how "principled" someone is if they don't honor their contract. Stubborn, I would agree with. Oh yeah, I do agree with you about how stupid he has handled the situation as well.
One can stand up for wrong principles..as well..and in this case I think that is what he is doing..The principle is getting the MOST for himself...he is sticking with that..all above honoring his contract...which he SHOULD be doing.

sarge said:
If you notice, when discussing the source they said it was his "opinion"

This source probably has no credible information other then what he thinks will happen.

I agree with your assessment, but they did say this person was an expert on player contract negotiations, so his opinion is worth something.

If he has a lot of experience to draw on, then he is in a pretty good position to make an educated guess concerning this situation with Branch.

In the end though, it is all just speculation. I think even the common Joe believes Branch with cave because the alternative is just plain dumb. The team is willing to play the year without him even though it will hurt us a bit. He can't afford to sit out the whole year IMO.

Lloyd_Christmas said:
I agree with your assessment, but they did say this person was an expert on player contract negotiations, so his opinion is worth something.

If he has a lot of experience to draw on, then he is in a pretty good position to make an educated guess concerning this situation with Branch.

In the end though, it is all just speculation. I think even the common Joe believes Branch with cave because the alternative is just plain dumb. The team is willing to play the year without him even though it will hurt us a bit. He can't afford to sit out the whole year IMO.

It seemed to me like the "expert" was applying some sort of "negotiation psychology 101" on Branch's interview, suggesting that Branch saying everything would work out was a "surrender statement."

I suppose it's possible, but it could also be a situation like where a veteran poker player misreads an inexperienced opponent because the opponent doesn't bet in the rational, traditional method. In other words, had Chayut said he felt everything would work out, I would see it as a "surrender statement," because you have to assume he knows that others would recognize it as a "surrender statement," and certainly wouldn't want to imply surrender if he didn't mean it.

Branch, on the other hand, could just be an athlete who wants to be liked, and thinks quicker on his feet vs. a cover-2 than he does in front of Camera 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News