PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peter King Wow! Where do I begin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And, how does that clarify anything?

It doesn't.

Why do you think King is on this harangue about Belichick showing no remorse?

It's because Belichick keeps emphasizing his interpretation of the rule, and by that--it's implied--he really shows no remorse. I agree with King on this. Belichick is plainly saying that he has one interpretation of the rule, and the Commish has another. When Keteyian asked Belichick whether he should have been punished for breaking a rule, Belichick replied that it's irrelevant what he thinks. That's the commissioner's responsibility. He could have said, "Yes, the punishment was fair" or, "The punishment was perhaps too harsh." Instead, he said, what he ACTUALLY thinks about breaking the rule and the punishment is IRRELEVANT.

Regardless, the easiest way out is for him to say, we made a mistake. That way he doesn't have to confront the NFL and the commish. But here's my question to you: what mistake did he admit to making? IMO, he didn't admit to breaking a rule. In the interview, it was totally clear: the mistake he made was in not seeking clarification on the memo.

Plus, your response is tangential. We're discussing what WE as Patriots fans believe about the rule. You wrote that WE (US) should acknowledge they broke a rule. Many of us here don't acknowledge that. If you read this board consistently, you'd realize that we have already discussed this 1,000 times, and that the people who don't believe a rule was broken have perfectly logical reasons for doing so, despite what the Commish and the media think.

That's basically the end of it.

I'm sorry, anyone who thinks that the pats didn't break a rule are totally delusional. They may not have meant to do it, but they did.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, anyone who thinks that the pats didn't break a rule are totally delusional. They may not have meant to do it, but they did.

They didn't break one, no matter what you and Goodell say.

You're also someone with the mental capacity of a flea because you can't read the rule and come to a logical conclusion.

They didn't break one, no matter what you and Goodell say.

You're also someone with the mental capacity of a flea because you can't read the rule and come to a logical conclusion.

Haha, yet another pat's homer insulting me because I think the patriots broke a rule. Listen, no matter what you think - the Patriots broke a rule. Both Belichick and Kraft's son admitted to making a mistake.

I am a huge pat's fan, so don't even try to go there. Belichick admits to breaking the rule several times. Read his original statement, he talks about how he screwed up with his understanding of the rule, and how he is sorry for violating it. I don't think this was a big deal, and ob it was blown out of proportion. But the fact remains, he broke a rule.

Telling me I am stupid because I don't agree with you says it all.

Last edited:
The Patriots broke a rule and got CAUGHT - The other teams break rules like them as well but DID NOT get caught.

The Patriots broke a rule and I think Goodell knows the rules of the league more than some of the so called behind the keyboard know it alls in here - You don't get annointed commisioner of a league unless you actually know a few things about the Profession you are proceeding over :rolleyes:.

Please stop the aurguing - The Patriots are guilty like just about all the other teams but got caught,The others did not - Understand?

The Patriots broke a rule and got CAUGHT - The other teams break rules like them as well but DID NOT get caught.

The Patriots broke a rule and I think Goodell knows the rules of the league more than some of the so called behind the keyboard know it alls in here - You don't get annointed commisioner of a league unless you actually know a few things about the Profession you are proceeding over :rolleyes:.

Please stop the aurguing - The Patriots are guilty like just about all the other teams but got caught,The others did not - Understand?

I agree, that idiot insulting me it totally delusional. I agree that what the patriots did was not a huge deal. I also buy the fact that Beli screwed up with his understanding of the rule.

But to claim the pats did not break a rule - ( when Belichick himself admitted they did) is the highest level of homerism. I love the pats just like everyone else, but some of you need to get a grip.

If you want to argue that this whole thing was blown out of proportion, fine. If you want to argue that the punishment was far to harsh, ok. But, to claim the pat's didn't break any rules it outrageous.

Last edited:
Haha, yet another pat's homer insulting me because I think the patriots broke a rule. Listen, no matter what you think - the Patriots broke a rule. Both Belichick and Kraft's son admitted to making a mistake.

I am a huge pat's fan, so don't even try to go there. Belichick admits to breaking the rule several times. Read his original statement, he talks about how he screwed up with his understanding of the rule, and how he is sorry for violating it. I don't think this was a big deal, and ob it was blown out of proportion. But the fact remains, he broke a rule.

You have such thin skin.

You can insult people first but when someone insults you then you go running to start new threads and whine.

If you don't like being insulted, then don't insult people first.

As for the rest, go watch the CBS interview in which Belichick claims that the memo doesn't take precedence over the bylaw, and then come back and tell me what Belichick made a "mistake" about.

His only mistake, according to Belichick, was in not seeking clarification for a rule. He made this point several times during the interview, and furthermore even when Armen read the memo back to him word for word, Belichick said, "Again, during a game."

This means it's clear that Belichick does not agree with the commissioner's interpretation.

Could not agree more. Well said. What I want to know is when will Peter King stop writing about Spygate. To me he seems obsessed. Why hasnt he written on the potential murder attempt that for all we know could have been committed by a hall of fame WR, Marvin Harrison. I dont hear anything about that for Peter.

I do not know if it will happen, perhaps some of you can shed more light on this, but I really do hope the Pats stick it to the Herald and avoid speaking to their reporters, etc. Do you think there will be repurcussion from the Pats to the Herald?

As for Peter King, he needs to move on!

What do you think is worse, being sanctioned by the Patriots or getting the hard, cold Belichick stare, everyday at every press confrence? I would chose being punished by the Patriots!! Tomase's worst punishment is having to face the man whose career he tried to ruin with his BS scoop! BB always comes through in the end, while Tomase did a fantastic job of ruining his own credibility and possibly his career!

After finally reading MMQB, the only thing that really bothered me was King saying we wouldn't make the playoffs. Look at these teams, in order from SB 41:

Chicago had d!ck for offense and we all knew it, Seattle made it to the playoffs, Philly had the T.O. issue and Donovan getting hurt, didn't Carolina lose Steve Smith for that whole year?, Oakland was a geriatric team, I believe Kurt Warner was hurt, and the Giants were a fluke team for that SB...if I remember correctly, they were accused of signal interception and the league buried it quickly.

So, unless Brady starts playing like Rex Grossman or gets hurt, I think we will at least make the playoffs.

What a tool. :rolleyes:

The fact that most patriot fans and posters still think that Belichick and the patriots did nothing wrong is rather beside the point.

Idiot,

Find me 1 post, just one. Saying BB did nothing. I'veread plenty that have said everyone steals signals and his crime was "illegal camera placement."

1 post is all you need. By the way you talk we are awash in them so that should be easy.

In fairness to King, he did bring up questions about the truthfulness of Matt Walsh and addressed that the Pats caught him secretly audiotaping Scott Pioli (which also to his credit he has always believed Pioli on this 100%). That is far more than most of the national media has done.

Most of the national media have taken Walsh's words as facts. Anytime someone from the Patriots mention the audiotaping or being fire the media classify it as trying to discredit Walsh which gives the impression that the Patriots know what Walsh is saying is true and by smearing his name it ruins his credibility.

I think the problem I had with King's article is the timing of it. His criticism of Belichick has been strong in the past few months. Today, he toned it down a bit which was odd because a lot of the quotes he was using could have been applied months ago. I mean, we've been mentioning the Braylon Edwards quote since September (paraphrasing, "it's only this big because it's the Patriots"). After Parcells, Johnson, and Howie Long went out of their way to defend Belichick, King quotes a player 8 months after the penalty? I didn't gain much out of his quotes.

If the thing that turned King's attention was the revelation that Walsh had nothing, then shame on him. He, like the majority of the media, chose to believe the comments of a low-level employee who was terminated for poor performance and curious behavior (taping conversations) over the words of an entire organization which he has been in close contact with for years. And for him to downplay the effect of the taping after all of his negative comments is incredible (especially considering his amazement with Walsh's 75% comment the other day).

And for the life of me, why doesn't King understand Belichick's reasoning that he was wrong about the rule? I don't care that King doesn't accept the reasoning; I'm not sure why he doesn't understand it. It's as if King feels Belichick is impervious to making mistakes because he's great at reading defenses. King doesn't understand that some people can interpret rules and passages differently. And no, I'm not saying Belichick had the correct interpretation.

Last edited:
Lesson learned. We will never again cut them a collective iota of slack.

I really, really hope they don't, either. The easiest way for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing. Turn the other cheek time is over.

Why is it so many homers lose respect for a guy thats a pretty good columnist like Peter King when he says something bad about the Patriots but when he says a negative thing like for instance against the Colts or Dolphins ect: than its interesting and informative?

IMO King is a pretty good reporter but he's a bad analyst. His opinions match the opinions of whoever the last person to talk to him about the subject was.
He seems like a decent guy and people talk to him. As long as you realize what he writes is somebodies agenda it's worth reading him. BUT...

He strikes me as a not very bright guy with no street smarts. Compare him to the late Will McDonough. I didn't always agree with him and he had axes to grind but WM was tough, smart and street smart. Comparing him to King is like comparing Reggie White to Ken "Game Day" Sims.

Got to be a troll. Says he's been a Pats fan for years, but calls a fan defending the team a homer...what fan would do that? Then in another post calls BB "Beli" which I've only ever seen posted by trolls on other boards.

Hmm. Quack? Yup. Feathers? Yup.

The letter I would have liked to send to Peter King after his comment that "Belichick's honor... has been forever blackened". Unfortunately SI limits such e-mails to 500 words or less....anyway here goes

Peter,

I can understand a difference in perspective and point of view. I can accept that you do not agree with Bill Belichick’s interpretation of the rule and the memo that lead to the fines exacted by the NFL. I can even accept that you feel there was more of an advantage to the Patriot’s coach from taping the signals than 1 part in a 100. But I cannot accept your assertion that Bill Belichick’s honor has been forever blackened. You have overstepped your professional integrity with such a condemnation and maligned a character who has shown nothing but honor through the whole spygate debacle.

Bill Belichick has never once pointed a finger at anyone other than himself. He has taken the blame, admitted the error and accepted his punishment without reservation. Strangely you can forgive John Tomase for his less than heart-felt apology but not Belichick for his bald and emotionless one. Unlike Tomase, Belichick offered no excuses even though he could have implicated many. Instead he chose to remain silent about any detail that would reflect badly on the game that he loves so dearly. Have you ever read the book “Education of a Coach” by David Haberstram? The Pulitzer prize winning author is a keen observer of people and one thing that comes across in the book is the reverence Bill Belichick pays to his father, the Naval Academy and the game of football. If you had read the book you would not have been able to question his honor when he has done everything to protect those in the game who many feel deserve equal condemnation and criticism.

Let me focus on the commissioner, someone who has never received your condemnation or mildest criticism. If Belichick made a mistake then Goodell made an even bigger one. As the effective CEO of the NFL he allowed a simple rules violation to become a conflagration of unprecedented size and duration. As CEO his first responsibility is to the standards and processes of the organization and to ensure that they are met in any deliberation that attracts risk to the enterprise. The first thing he should have done is to ensure that the rule in question was unambiguous. The fact that a memo was sent out to re-emphasize and restate the rule suggests that it was indeed ambiguous. The second thing he should have done was to determine whether the memo clarified the rule and if it did ensure that the rule was rewritten. The third thing he should have done was to clarify the validity and authority of a memo as a vehicle of policy and ruling. Do all memos from NFL Vice Presidents stand as law within the NFL or is there a process that takes such memos through authorized review bodies like the Competition Committee to ensure consistency, integrity and supportability? The fourth thing he should have done was to check whether there had been any “misinterpretations” or violations of the memo since it was issued before the 2006 season.

Goodell did none of the above. He ignored all four steps that most CEOs would take before reaching a conclusion and a decision. He then imposed the largest fine and penalty ever without further explanation. If he had indeed checked for other violations of the rule in 2006 he would have found that the two teams involved were both divisional rivals of the Patriots, and included his former employer the Jets. The acrimony between the Jets and the Patriots is enduring and well documented, starting with the “illegal” tampering of the Patriots coach in 1996 Superbowl, and including Bill Belichick’s refusal to take the HC position in 2000. Yet no-one, least of all Belichick, questions the commissioner’s motives or evaluation process. Not once has Belichick even remotely suggested criticism of the commissioner. Not once has he suggested that others employed the same videotaping practices, naming names and selling out his peers. Never once has he suggested that the Dolphins and Jets had set the precedent for his interpretation, even though the Dolphins far greater use of videotape helped them blank the Patriots 21-0 four games before the Patriots were caught on the first game of the 2007 season.

Bill Belichick has had to endure persecution by the US sporting press, being reviled as the Evil Empire or Evil incarnate and yet not once has he sought to sell his colleagues down the river to make himself look better. That is the definition of someone who sees the NFL, the game of football, even the commissioner himself as more defensible than himself. That my friend is the very epitome of honor, someone who is willing to have his reputation vilified by the press and trashed by the public rather than bring the game, its officers, its coaches and players into disrepute. I would only wish that the sporting press of this country could exhibit even a fraction of the honor exhibited by Bill Belichick in the last 9 months.

The letter I would have liked to send to Peter King after his comment that "Belichick's honor... has been forever blackened". Unfortunately SI limits such e-mails to 500 words or less....anyway here goes

Peter,

I can understand a difference in perspective and point of view. I can accept that you do not agree with Bill Belichick’s interpretation of the rule and the memo that lead to the fines exacted by the NFL. I can even accept that you feel there was more of an advantage to the Patriot’s coach from taping the signals than 1 part in a 100. But I cannot accept your assertion that Bill Belichick’s honor has been forever blackened. You have overstepped your professional integrity with such a condemnation and maligned a character who has shown nothing but honor through the whole spygate debacle.

Bill Belichick has never once pointed a finger at anyone other than himself. He has taken the blame, admitted the error and accepted his punishment without reservation. Strangely you can forgive John Tomase for his less than heart-felt apology but not Belichick for his bald and emotionless one. Unlike Tomase, Belichick offered no excuses even though he could have implicated many. Instead he chose to remain silent about any detail that would reflect badly on the game that he loves so dearly. Have you ever read the book “Education of a Coach” by David Haberstram? The Pulitzer prize winning author is a keen observer of people and one thing that comes across in the book is the reverence Bill Belichick pays to his father, the Naval Academy and the game of football. If you had read the book you would not have been able to question his honor when he has done everything to protect those in the game who many feel deserve equal condemnation and criticism.

Let me focus on the commissioner, someone who has never received your condemnation or mildest criticism. If Belichick made a mistake then Goodell made an even bigger one. As the effective CEO of the NFL he allowed a simple rules violation to become a conflagration of unprecedented size and duration. As CEO his first responsibility is to the standards and processes of the organization and to ensure that they are met in any deliberation that attracts risk to the enterprise. The first thing he should have done is to ensure that the rule in question was unambiguous. The fact that a memo was sent out to re-emphasize and restate the rule suggests that it was indeed ambiguous. The second thing he should have done was to determine whether the memo clarified the rule and if it did ensure that the rule was rewritten. The third thing he should have done was to clarify the validity and authority of a memo as a vehicle of policy and ruling. Do all memos from NFL Vice Presidents stand as law within the NFL or is there a process that takes such memos through authorized review bodies like the Competition Committee to ensure consistency, integrity and supportability? The fourth thing he should have done was to check whether there had been any “misinterpretations” or violations of the memo since it was issued before the 2006 season.

Goodell did none of the above. He ignored all four steps that most CEOs would take before reaching a conclusion and a decision. He then imposed the largest fine and penalty ever without further explanation. If he had indeed checked for other violations of the rule in 2006 he would have found that the two teams involved were both divisional rivals of the Patriots, and included his former employer the Jets. The acrimony between the Jets and the Patriots is enduring and well documented, starting with the “illegal” tampering of the Patriots coach in 1996 Superbowl, and including Bill Belichick’s refusal to take the HC position in 2000. Yet no-one, least of all Belichick, questions the commissioner’s motives or evaluation process. Not once has Belichick even remotely suggested criticism of the commissioner. Not once has he suggested that others employed the same videotaping practices, naming names and selling out his peers. Never once has he suggested that the Dolphins and Jets had set the precedent for his interpretation, even though the Dolphins far greater use of videotape helped them blank the Patriots 21-0 four games before the Patriots were caught on the first game of the 2007 season.

Bill Belichick has had to endure persecution by the US sporting press, being reviled as the Evil Empire or Evil incarnate and yet not once has he sought to sell his colleagues down the river to make himself look better. That is the definition of someone who sees the NFL, the game of football, even the commissioner himself as more defensible than himself. That my friend is the very epitome of honor, someone who is willing to have his reputation vilified by the press and trashed by the public rather than bring the game, its officers, its coaches and players into disrepute. I would only wish that the sporting press of this country could exhibit even a fraction of the honor exhibited by Bill Belichick in the last 9 months.

Very well written. Let us know if you get a response.

Thanks SoCal Pmen - not much of an update I'm afraid. I did sumbit the letter to the PK's (preening king) mailbox and not unexpectedly it was ignored. PK is nursing some bruised ego and so cannot entertain thoughts and opinions that run counter to what he has written.

I still stand by what I said. I do think that there is a fantastic story to be written about Cameragate and the abuse of rights exercised by much of the media. I just wish that David Halberstam was still alive to write it. I am confident that someone will step forward and using solid research and investigative journalism (starting with the Cameragate website which is great!), and write a full exposure of the scandal that never was. I also fully expect BB's honor to be vindicated. Unfortunately such a book will not be read by many, nor will it be undestood by all that do. Be that as it may my appreciation for Bill increases with each volley from the media, and I am sure that Robert Kraft feels the same way.

Ditto... very well written. Let me point out one thing that you outlined below. The points you made about how Goodell was so incompetent in this matter is really obvious. Furthermore, Goodell indirectly belittled the efforts of Tagliabue and championship teams in the past because by Goodell's opinion, they also cheated since illegal taping was done, basically he left the integrity of the NFL during this era in question.

IMO, PK and other national reporters can not take the commish to task on how he botched this thing up. Else the information sources from league headquarter will dry up. I'm convince that those who are piling on BB are equally concern of not insulting Goodwell or they will see the full wrath of this guy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Back