PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peter King Wow! Where do I begin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
just listened to his interview now with dan patrick , same old stuff. patrick suggests belichick came of 'petty' calling walsh his 3rd videographer. Said the patriots were deflecting the blame on herald

king said there is so much vitriol for the pats even when he visted the the troops that its unimaginable of sorts how much the team is hated.
king says BB should stop saying he misinterpreted the rules as its an insult to football fans that the smartest coach to ever roam the sideline is saying he misinterpreted the rules.

So King visits the "troops" for a week and he's really doing all this for them. Maybe the reason the team is hated, jack@$$, is because of irresponsible propaganda perpetrated by you. Instead of creating a false story and feeding the frenzy you create, how about doing the right thing and admitting that you were wrong? I honestly loathe this man, and wish the worst for him professionally.

Not everyone agrees with you.

How can you read this board and make comments like that?

Speak for yourself, not for everyone.

I was speaking for myself. It's called my opinion, and there are others who happen to agree with it. I have every right to voice my opinion, just like you.

My main point was that anything that is not pro pats, is thought of as garbage. I know spygate was over-blown, but this article was tame,imo.

Last edited:
King must be even more bitter that nobody from the organization will give him the time of day or return his text messages.

Honestly even without his biased take on this mess I was starting to tune him out because he's so smarmy.

I was speaking for myself. It's called my opinion, and there are others who happen to agree with it. I have every right to voice my opinion, just like you.

My main point was that anything that is not pro pats, is thought of as garbage. I know spygate was over-blown, but this article was tame,imo.

I was responding to the fact that you took facts for granted. For instance, this one: "Let's not forget that the pats did ignore a memo, and they did break a rule."

You're saying that "we" should not forget the Patriots broke a rule. meanwhile, a lot of your fellow Patriots fans have argued (convincingly, I might add) that they DID NOT break rule. So, it's your opinion that they broke a rule.

Writing: "Let us not forget that the Patriots broke a rule," assumes knowledge that we all agree on. Many of us don't.

That's what I was responding to.

I was responding to the fact that you took facts for granted. For instance, this one: "Let's not forget that the pats did ignore a memo, and they did break a rule."

You're saying that "we" should not forget the Patriots broke a rule. meanwhile, a lot of your fellow Patriots fans have argued (convincingly, I might add) that they DID NOT break rule. So, it's your opinion that they broke a rule.

Writing: "Let us not forget that the Patriots broke a rule," assumes knowledge that we all agree on. Many of us don't.

Yes, it is always important to define the terms of the debate before continuing on with it.

Belichick and the pats have admitted their mistake. Belichick in his interview, and kraft on eei last week. I believe they missenterpited the rule, but in doing that they broke it.

i dont know about everyone but i thought this article of his is much softer than his previous takes on spygate. He DOES NOT say the patriots wont make the playoffs. just points out the history of superbowl losers and that the patriots are a tired team already and the upcoming schedule .

Plus he got some +ve quotes too from players who all except barber said good things about the pats

and in typical king fashion , makes a for and against case against spygate

wish he thought of saying this before.

i also thought the quotes from players about spector and pro wrestling were funny.

its by no means a +ve pats article but this is the closest he has come all yr to saying something less -ve.

The problem with this article is less what he wrote this week than what he wrote last week and how he now waffles while still basically defending previous statements that were never more than hystrionics born of misinformation. It's the layers, like Jim Nantz pointed out last week, that have made the coverage of this incident so essentially dishonest and unfair. All along the media has been falling over itself to get on the record commenting about what in the final analysis has proven to be either totally incorrect (walkthrough or in game use of taped signals) or illogical (the impact of taping defensive signals not used in game) reports assumed/presumed to be fact when they were nothing of the sort.

King chooses time and again to return to his contention that if the Commissioner didn't accept Bill's explanation that he misinterpreted a rule so ambiguous it required a memo that no one has yet proven trumps the Constitution and Bylaws of a league - how could he. Yet from day 1 no one in the media including King was willing to accept that same Commissioner's conclusion that there was nothing additional in the tapes he destroyed beyond what he stated in September - signals similar to those Fox showed the nation. That kind of situational reasoning is nothing but media BS.

I challenged King last week to ask a lawyer what he would have advised his client he could reasonably expect the rules as written from 2000 through 2007 to be interpreted to allow him to do. Apparently he chose instead to ask players, including one who hasn't even established himself in the league yet, what they thought the value of intercepting signals is - and 7 of 8 told him what stolen signals amounted to in the grande scheme of things was...a hill of beans. Still, Peter can't accept that because of his pre conceived belief that Belichick wouldn't have taped them unless they provided substantial value...I guess he read Patriot's Reign and Education of a Coach, he just selectively comprehended them. The man values informational minutae that the majority of his peers lack the intellect to utilize. Bite me.

The media creates a February firestorm and when NOTHING comes of it they point fingers not at themselves but at Belichick and the organization and the league for not being more forthcoming and transparent in September. In other words Tomase and the Herald and the sports media by and large are just victims of their victim's unwillingness to be totally transparent. More BS though because the media is totally unwilling to be transparent when the shoe is on the other foot. They will not tell us who Tomase's sources were let alone what it ever was they actually contended. They will not tell us who tipped ESPN and the NYT that Matt Walsh might have items or recollections of interest or who arranged for Walsh to be represented by a high powered DC attorney. They will close ranks and go to their graves insisting that Belichick got off easy and his reputation will be justifiably tainted, while Tomase and the Herald and every mediot or politician who reported rumor as fact is somehow to be lauded for being well intentioned if mistaken and certainly not deserving of any punishment let alone career taint. Bill's multiple apologies on national television and in print fall on deaf ears as if he never made them. Tomase rationalizes about where he went wrong in a local rag and apologizes in hindsight on a blog a few thousand internet lurkers see and that proves he's just a stand up guy who made a mistake (and at verbiage at that).

Situational reasoning from the self appointed morality and ethics in sports police. Who have rapidly dwindling reserves of either in their own industry. Spare me your tortured reasoning, Peter, honestly...

The few people who maintained some perspective on all this within the media have already moved on. They admitted there was nothing else to see beyond September, and the last hundred days was much ado about an unfounded rumor that turned out to be totally baseless. Sucks for the folks who just had to believe there was more, and still have to.

Belichick and the pats have admitted their mistake. Belichick in his interview, and kraft on eei last week. I believe they missenterpited the rule, but in doing that they broke it.

And, how does that clarify anything?

It doesn't.

Why do you think King is on this harangue about Belichick showing no remorse?

It's because Belichick keeps emphasizing his interpretation of the rule, and by that--it's implied--he really shows no remorse. I agree with King on this. Belichick is plainly saying that he has one interpretation of the rule, and the Commish has another. When Keteyian asked Belichick whether he should have been punished for breaking a rule, Belichick replied that it's irrelevant what he thinks. That's the commissioner's responsibility. He could have said, "Yes, the punishment was fair" or, "The punishment was perhaps too harsh." Instead, he said, what he ACTUALLY thinks about breaking the rule and the punishment is IRRELEVANT.

Regardless, the easiest way out is for him to say, we made a mistake. That way he doesn't have to confront the NFL and the commish. But here's my question to you: what mistake did he admit to making? IMO, he didn't admit to breaking a rule. In the interview, it was totally clear: the mistake he made was in not seeking clarification on the memo.

Plus, your response is tangential. We're discussing what WE as Patriots fans believe about the rule. You wrote that WE (US) should acknowledge they broke a rule. Many of us here don't acknowledge that. If you read this board consistently, you'd realize that we have already discussed this 1,000 times, and that the people who don't believe a rule was broken have perfectly logical reasons for doing so, despite what the Commish and the media think.

That's basically the end of it.

I was not looking to get into a debate, I stated my opinion - as I see it.

I have no problem with you having an opinion.

I was just clarifying your statement that WE should not forget they broke a rule.

There have been hundreds of threads on here about that rule and it's been in dispute as to whether we broke it or not.

Again, I was only challenging your idea that WE can't ignore the fact we broke a rule.

So King visits the "troops" for a week and he's really doing all this for them. Maybe the reason the team is hated, jack@$$, is because of irresponsible propaganda perpetrated by you. Instead of creating a false story and feeding the frenzy you create, how about doing the right thing and admitting that you were wrong? I honestly loathe this man, and wish the worst for him professionally.

Remember, Peter is the authority who advised Curran in going national to "write for your audience".

Maybe Peter has a point on Bill claiming to have misinterpreted the rule.

I think he said that in an effort to be diplomatic as opposed to once again perceived as arrogant. Perhaps he thought the media might actually vet that rule and conclude it didn't remotely pass the legalese smell test.

But since they didn't, he should have said it was a ridiculously ambiguous rule like the dip****s who run this league usually write, he knew in a court of law they wouldn't have a leg to stand on if they went after him, but because it would have been counter productive from a long range league perspective for us to do what most of my peers would have done and threatened a lawsuit if 5th ballot rookie Commissioner Dumbell didn't back the F off (a tack Bill Polian threatened to persue and Al Davis has persued more than once when they didn't get what they wanted from the league language and rulings), Bob (ever the consiliator) and I determined we would simply apologize and except dunderheads ruling and move on.

Our real strategic mistake in all this was going undefeated in the same season in which we were punished more severely than any team or coach in the entire history of the league. We see that now. We are surrounded by a gaggle of jealous and incompetent biatches. Lesson learned. We will never again cut them a collective iota of slack.

The guy [Walsh] set sports reporting back decades by reporting a rumor as fact and gets burned. He is blasted by everyone in the country and fears a lawsuit from the Pats. And King thinks it is heroic what he did? Really?!?

He didn't say he was heroic, he only said he should be given some credit for owning up.

I agreee with you that Tomase is primarily trying to save his arse, and I don't agree with King that he deserves that credit (that would be akin to Bill Clinton getting credit for ultimately owning up to his "relations" with Monica), but still, that's a far different thing than saying he was heroic.

One of the more bizarre aspects of this is King citing Ryan's comparison to the Watergate cover-up.

Let me ask this: what are the Patriots covering up? They gave over every single videotape, they gave all notes related to taping, they had the commissioner interview EVERYBODY.

If anything, they have only COVERED up things that would have potentially exonerated them (such as knowledge of filming other teams filming on the destroyed tapes) or, knowledge of other teams filming etc., discussions with the NFL on taped sign stealing pertaining to game sin 2006 against the Phins, for instance. The NFL and the Patriots have collaborated in keeping certain aspects of this a secret, but clearly anything the Patriots might have done wrong is totally out in the open after the Walsh saga.

In short, the Patriots haven't covered a single thing up.
What the heck is Bob Ryan and Peter King talking about?

He didn't say he was heroic, he only said he should be given some credit for owning up.

I agreee with you that Tomase is primarily trying to save his arse, and I don't agree with King that he deserves that credit (that would be akin to Bill Clinton getting credit for ultimately owning up to his "relations" with Monica), but still, that's a far different thing than saying he was heroic.

Ok, I may have been guilty of overstating it myself. But it is definitely disapointing that King has been trying to sell himself as a moral compass for America and then the only time he mentions his feelings about Tomase and the mess he made is to give him credit for apologizing. Not one word about the content of that apology where Tomase admitted that he used sources of a rumor as sources of fact.

My issues with Peter King's article:

1. His choice to believe the allegation of Matt Walsh over the response of Bill Belichick is based on his personal opinions, not facts. It is rediculious for him to assert that the rules could not have been misinterpreted by Belichick - especially given the way it is written. My long standing questions regarding this are: if the rule was so crystal clear, why did the commissioner feel it was necessary to clarify it with a memo to the teams in 2006, and what gives the commissioner the right to clarify (read: change) a rule in the bylaws without the approval of the competition committee.

2. Quoting Matt Walsh in his HBO piece regarding his opinion on how forgiving the nation is to people who just apologize is self serving and inappropriate considering Peter Kings grossly inaccurate last line of the section - that Belichick did not come clean immediately after the story broke. If my recollection serves me correctly, Belichick did admit to taping the opposing teams signals and cooperated with the investigation of the league. He accepted the harshest penalty ever doled out by the NFL without a complaint. What is Peter King looking for here? Does he want Belichick to get on his knees an beg forgiveness for all of his sins? Is the problem that Belichick was not remorsefull enough for his liking? Belichick did what everyone of us would do - provide his rational explanation for his actions. Belichick then swallowed a fine of 20% of his annual salary to the league - how many of us would be willing to do that without a fight or peep?

1. His choice to believe the allegation of Matt Walsh over the response of Bill Belichick is based on his personal opinions, not facts. It is rediculious for him to assert that the rules could not have been misinterpreted by Belichick - especially given the way it is written. My long standing questions regarding this are: if the rule was so crystal clear, why did the commissioner feel it was necessary to clarify it with a memo to the teams in 2006, and what gives the commissioner the right to clarify (read: change) a rule in the bylaws without the approval of the competition committee.

2. Quoting Matt Walsh in his HBO piece regarding his opinion on how forgiving the nation is to people who just apologize is self serving and inappropriate considering Peter Kings grossly inaccurate last line of the section - that Belichick did not come clean immediately after the story broke. If my recollection serves me correctly, Belichick did admit to taping the opposing teams signals and cooperated with the investigation of the league. He accepted the harshest penalty ever doled out by the NFL without a complaint. What is Peter King looking for here? Does he want Belichick to get on his knees an beg forgiveness for all of his sins? Is the problem that Belichick was not remorsefull enough for his liking? Belichick did what everyone of us would do - provide his rational explanation for his actions. Belichick then swallowed a fine of 20% of his annual salary to the league - how many of us would be willing to do that without a fight or peep?
from what i heard on the dan patrick show today king's beef with BB is that he still calls it mis interpretation inspite of being the smartest guy he has ever met in the NFL. thats where it all stems from .
The media in general wants BB to apologize for everything and every media member and serve up their egos and he just is holding to his own belief that it was a misinterpretation which bothers people like king.

In fairness to King, he did bring up questions about the truthfulness of Matt Walsh and addressed that the Pats caught him secretly audiotaping Scott Pioli (which also to his credit he has always believed Pioli on this 100%). That is far more than most of the national media has done.

Most of the national media have taken Walsh's words as facts. Anytime someone from the Patriots mention the audiotaping or being fire the media classify it as trying to discredit Walsh which gives the impression that the Patriots know what Walsh is saying is true and by smearing his name it ruins his credibility.

In fairness to King, he did bring up questions about the truthfulness of Matt Walsh and addressed that the Pats caught him secretly audiotaping Scott Pioli (which also to his credit he has always believed Pioli on this 100%). That is far more than most of the national media has done.

Most of the national media have taken Walsh's words as facts. Anytime someone from the Patriots mention the audiotaping or being fire the media classify it as trying to discredit Walsh which gives the impression that the Patriots know what Walsh is saying is true and by smearing his name it ruins his credibility.

Any creep like Walsh who booby traps the bed in his dorm room

with a sharp object has no credibility. His roomate's girl friend sat

on the bed and was injured. This is why he was kicked off the golf

team.

Any creep like Walsh who booby traps the bed in his dorm room

with a sharp object has no credibility. His roomate's girl friend sat

on the bed and was injured. This is why he was kicked off the golf

team.

There are a lot questions to Walsh's character. Unfortunately, the mainstream press doesn't care. If Walsh doesn't have credibility, the story and the moral outrage against the Patriots dies. No one in the media wants that.

The thing if I was in Walsh's position and he is truly innocent of secretly audiotaping Pioli, I would be on the offensive on this. I would sue the Patriots for millions. Unlike Bob Kraft who doesn't benefit from the negative press for keeping the Spygate story alive to sue the Herald, there is little downside to sue the Pats for Walsh if he is truly innocent. My guess is no lawsuit will be forthcoming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back