Welcome to PatsFans.com

Paul Poluzny our next Tedi Bruschi?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by PATRIOT64, Mar 24, 2007.

1. PATRIOT64

PATRIOT64 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

If there is any player coming out of the draft that resembles Tedi Bruschi's play and would be a great fit here in New England it would be Paul Poluzny.

Watching some film on him recently,He looks a bit like Bruschi did when Tedi was playing ball in Arizona State...Same type fierceness and hunger and similar size and also is not picked at the top of the draft board.

Poluzny would make a great ILB in the NFL and has that Linebacker University of Penn State as a great resume...No team in College Football history IMO has put better LB athletes in the NFL than Penn State.

I think we may see another in Paul and there is no better replacement when Bruschi probably retires next year than this young man...Looks special for what I have seen of him...Something like Tedi in the mid 90s

If we are lucky enough to still have him on the board at #24 I think it would be wise to grab him and I think he would look great in Patriots Colors.
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2007
  2. PATRIOT64

PATRIOT64 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

BTW - Just noticed he even has the same number of letters in his first and last name as Tedi..Hmmm :)
  3. Hok

Hok Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Hate to break it to you, but his last name is "Posluszny."
  4. TomBradyWoot

TomBradyWoot Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

And it's Tedy. I wouldn't be disappointed with him but he's an OLB while Bruschi is an ILB.
  5. SeanBruschi54

SeanBruschi54 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

#24 Jersey

College OLB's translate to ILB for us.

Besides he played OLB and ILB in college in a 3-4 system
  6. TripleOption

TripleOption Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

And Tedy was a down in the dirt DE at Arizona and was converted to an OLB in the 4-3, which took some time.

He was a project that took a lot of time to develop into the player he was a few years ago.
  7. TripleOption

TripleOption Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Tedy played at Arizona.
  8. PATRIOT64

PATRIOT64 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Yeah,You are right..Spelled his name wrong,the dreaded silent 'S'..Well there goes that theory :bricks:
  9. SeanBruschi54

SeanBruschi54 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

#24 Jersey

Its too bad hes so hated on these boards.

10. PATRIOT64

PATRIOT64 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I didn't mean in Arizona St. I meant in the state of Arizona....Excuse the confusion there :eek:
  11. WhiZa

WhiZa Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I think this is really cute
  12. upstater1

upstater1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

Well, he still has the same number of letters in his last name as Tedy Bruszcshi.
  13. sebman2112

sebman2112 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Tedy's College game was nothing like Posluszny's. Tedy was a sack machine D-Linemen, who was very strong for a smaller guy. Posluszny is weaker at the point of attack, and doesn't remind me of bruschi at all. If anything Posluszny is a smaller, slower, less versatile version of Brian Urlacher.
  14. Seymour93

Seymour93 Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I guarentee the hate would stop if he was selected. Posluszny was Penn State's best LB for the past three seasons. He's versatile meaning he can switch from OLB to MLB. He's smart and a leader. What's not to like?
  15. chunkypony

chunkypony Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thank you. Someone with a bit of sense on these boards for once.
  16. PATRIOT64

PATRIOT64 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Seems to me to be the perfect Patriots type player,One of several of those guys in the first round but IMO the only player in LB position,At least from where we draft at 24
  17. PATRIOT64

PATRIOT64 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Think I heard those SAME type of comments at least 2 times in the past few decades in the NFL.. One of those same type comments was about Zach Thomas and the other was Mike Singletary when entering the NFL :rolleyes:
  18. Sean Pa Patriot

Sean Pa Patriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I dont think that Poslunsky is hated.. Its just he comes from that lame school Penn State... He is not worth a first round pick, plus he tore up his knee in the 2006 orange bowl.. Im not sold on him , nor has there been any good lb's in the last 20 yrs to come out of penn state.. And please dont give me Lavar Arrington, look where he is now..
  19. AzPatsFan

AzPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 1 / -0

I too think that posluzny resembles Bruschi in his=s instincts and style of play...
  20. Bertil

Bertil Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

NO WAY the Pats draft him in Round 1. He's not athletic enough. They might trade back to Round 2 and get him, picking up a pick on the way. I saw a mock (Pat Kirwin's, I think...on NFL.com) where the Saints get #24 and the Pats get #27 and a Second Rounder.

He's a classic type to fall. Hard nosed overachiever. Those guys permeate every round. Finding them later on is the key, after the real athletes are off the board.
  21. upstater1

upstater1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

Bullcrap. LaVar Arrington was a fantastic linebacker. WAS. If you think otherwise, you don't watch much college football.

Poz won the Butkus.

Yeah, crappy linebackers at PSU, eh?

I mean, with statements like these, how is anyone to assume anything other than the poster HATES Poz and PSU?
  22. upstater1

upstater1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

The guy is very athletic. I don't know where this idea that he's not athletic comes from.

Was AJ Hawk athletic? Poz was every bit the athlete that Hawk was. That's why most observers thought Poz was a BETTER linebacker than Hawk.

The only question with Poz is his knee. Because this is a linebacker that flies all over the field making tackles. He's really really good.
  23. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0

#75 Jersey

What "hate"? If the Patriots draft him I'll be all for it. BB/Scott should know 100 times more than I or anyone else on this board does about players.

I happen to think Willis is special and we should move up to get him. That doesn't mean I "hate" Pos.
  24. rookBoston

rookBoston Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

There is so much negative on this board for Pos... I just dont get it.

If he had entered the draft last year, he would have been a top-15 pick. A year later, which everyone roasts as a "down year" for him (everyone, that is, except him, his coach and his teammates), the fans are convinced he a bust.

All that happened in this last year is that he moved from a 4-3 OLB to a 3-4 ILB, and learned to play with converted LBs playing on the DL in front of him... this after losing Tamba Hali to the NFL from the year before.

I'll say this: the game tape will tell the tale, and I know that BB will have his own opinion of PP's senior year. And I'll go on the record saying that he's more likely to agree with the PSU coaching staff than fans who rely on Mel Kiper and NFLDraftCountdown for their opinions.

What's to like? He's a natural leader. He's smart. Not just smart for a football player, he's smart for a human being. I challenge the posters on this board to carry a 3.57 GPA at Penn State and graduate early. He's committed to football. And, has already been made clear earlier in this thread, he already knows how to Beli-speak to the media.

BB is very picky in his LBs. Sure, he has a physical profile, but more importantly he has a character and leadership profile that is very hard to fill. Few players have the mental tools to keep up with Belichick. One thing that makes Brady so successful is his dedication to his work, and his ability to translate a game plan onto the field. The guy BB drafts to play ILB for him will have to be the defensive equivalent to Brady: leadership, dedication to the team, mental tools to recognize the game situation and internalize a game plan that changes every week.

Patrick Willis is an incredible specimin, and an impact player... and very popular on this board. But can he learn to play a new defensive scheme, designed for a new opponent each and every week? I can't say for sure. But I know that Posluszny has it in him. That will make a difference.

The question for those who don't want Pos on this team, or think he's bad value at #24: precisely what type of player are you trying to draft? And what do you think Belichick is looking to draft?
  25. SeanBruschi54

SeanBruschi54 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

#24 Jersey

It would because after everyone heres about him and sees some clips of him people would not be so rough on him.

He is my firsat choice in round one. While others have him marked as their nightmare choice.

Amazing leaping goal line stop. Some people have said this is what reminds them of Bruschi with the jumping. I just say its one good stop

Posluszny vs. Illinois

Poz doing a short pre combine interview with ESPN

2007 Draft Preview, First player is Poz
  26. PATRIOT64

PATRIOT64 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I hate PSU and live about 3 hours east of the University but will no doubt agree that PSU has put some of the finest LBs in the NFL in its history - Just like Allegheny County on the far west side of Pa near the PA/OH Border have had some HOF NFL QBs come out of that area as well.
  27. PATRIOT64

PATRIOT64 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I think Poz would be a great pickup and since 2 of his favorite LBs are Bruschi and Vrabel and I think he would make a fantastic Patriot and be a good locker room T-E-A-M player just like Tedy and Mike.

The same guys that don't like the idea of Poz coming here were likely the same guys who did thought doom and gloom when we took Mankins in the first round and Watson years earlier and got a hard on when Chad Jackson was picked up early via move up on the board last year :rolleyes:

Bottom line is no matter what talent..Or lack of talent that you think a player has,Until he is on the field in an NFL uniform,college stats mean little sometimes and strange things happen like Brady going in the 6th round and guys like Rick Mirer and Ryan Leaf in the top 3 picks - who turned out better?,Thats just a simple case of thousands of Busts in the first round and great HOF pickups in the later rounds in NFL history.

The draft is/was and always will be a crap shoot...And sometimes thats what you get CRAP - Sometimes you hit the jackpot

Like much of everything in life,Drafting is a gamble - there are NO guaranteed HOFers nor will there ever be, Unless you are GOD in the FO drafting guys :)
  28. fgssand

fgssand PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

If a player is to be thought of as 'the next Tedy B. - he needs to have the desire, smarts and dedication of Pos along with the sick skills of Willis.

Put those two together and I think we can get it done.
  29. sebman2112

sebman2112 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My statements about Posluszny are not those of hatred. I like him, and would be fine with the Patriots picking him, but I think there's other LB's who fit NE's defense better, especially at SILB, and WILB.

My saying he doesn't have the same game as Bruschi is not a slam on him, and my saying he is a slower, smaller version of Urlacher is not a slam either, that is just what I see when I watch him play. I said he was less versatile than Urlacher, because I don't think he has the same coverage skills. This doesn't mean he's not good, and it doesn't mean I wouldn't take him, I just think there are better options.
  30. VJCPatriot

VJCPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +24 / 1 / -0

If you could genetically create a clone of Urlacher, then rename him something innoccuous like Rehcalru, then draft him for the Pats, then you'd have our perfect linebacker. Oh yeah I might splice on some genes from Lawrence Taylor too, just to make sure it, er I mean "he" was the "perfect fit."