PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PatsFans.com Kicks Off 2016 1st Round Draft Day Blackout Initiative

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, serious question here. Aren't the ratings based on the Nielsen formula? In other words, aren't the only ones who actually effect the ratings the ones that have the box installed to monitor what they watch?

If so, everyone should sign up to be a Nielsen rating person asap, and then not watch the draft. I've always heard that the ratings were a pretty accurate projection based on a decent sample size. I'm not certain that what I watch gets recorded.

Someone explain this to stupid me.

EDIT--- Does the cable box submit this information? Help this luddite out!
Yes, unfortunately only those with a Nielsen media box attached to their televisions figure in to the ratings.

I wish I still had mine in order to contribute, but no longer living with my ex makes it worthwhile.

Although Nielsen also hooked up our computers/laptops, I believe websites rely more on number of clicks (and more importantly, number of clicks on ads) than any Nielsen ratings.

The reason advertisers rely on Nielsen ratings rather than numbers that a cable provider could easily provide is demographics. A cable company such as Comcast, BrightHouse, Time Warner, etc. could easily sell accurate numbers of how many cable boxes were turned on to a specific station at any time. However, they wouldn't be able to tell advertisers when the cable box was on but the tv was off. Most importantly, the Nielsen boxes make you tell them who in the household is watching (with your matching demographics), as well as asking you to add in any guests at your home watching with you.

Interesting.When I asked DirecTV about this,they told me that report all their data to the Nielsen group.

Curiouser and curiouser.

What you do with your personal time, such as searching for available dudes on your computer, is your business.

Just don't watch the draft is all that Ian cares about.

:D

Get yer mind outta the gutter

My point at the beginning of this thread is that there's no reason to watch day1

I could see going that route, certainly over listening to oxygen thieves like Kiper et al. I just gave up on trying to understand BB's drafting strategy; the 2010 draft was really the one that puzzled me (at the time) and left me nonplussed with the whole idea of projecting picks and having binkies.

Connor Barwin was my binkie.....still haven't gotten over it

Got home from work late tonight and finally had some time to sit down after trying to get some chores done around here. I just wanted to say, great job by everyone so far. We got off to a slow start on YouTube where it was stuck at a few hundred for most of the day, but then it started climbing and quadrupled in numbers over the last few hours, although we still have a ways to go there.

However, on Facebook, even with Zuckerberg's crappy algorithm that makes it tough to reach people on our page, we're at over 7,000 views on the first day with the same effect, it got off to a slow start, and then it's been gaining momentum largely in part thanks to the people who continue to share it.

Again, this is going to take a monumental effort by everybody for us to pull it off. I'm working on some things behind the scenes to hopefully get it going even further, but that will probably take a few days. This is one of those deals where I'm sure people will sit back and think it's kind of a ridiculous effort and we won't get much support until it gains more steam, which is usually what happens. A lot of people tend to wait until there's a buzz created before they start jumping on board. So for all of you who are helping out, be persistent, but patient. It's going to take some time.

But I just wanted to thank everyone for everything you did today. But just be careful and don't be obnoxious on your Facebook pages. If you share it multiple times, try and wait a day or two in-between before doing so. We want people to want to get behind this, not have them sitting there hoping to make it go away so you'll stop bugging them by posting it :cool:

Unfortunately, I won't be able to comply with this great referendum...sadly, I WILL be AT the draft day one. I'm going because I want to get up close and personal with my hero...Roger Goodell.:eek:

Unfortunately, I won't be able to comply with this great referendum...sadly, I WILL be AT the draft day one. I'm going because I want to get up close and personal with my hero...Roger Goodell.:eek:

Please walk onto the stage in a Patriots cap and hug Roger Goodell when he announces the 29th pick in the first round of the 2016 NFL Draft, do the interview with Deion Sanders, and sign a four-year contract.

And then, for the love of God, block somebody.

Don't do anything I wouldn't do. :)

Don't do anything I wouldn't do. :)
tumblr_n7nw2w1nPq1qfwa93o1_400.gif

1) I'm outside the area.

2) I suspect that few of you know how the ratings work. Do you imagine that there is some way that you failure to watch is noticed. That is only the case if you are part of that day's Nielson surveys.

3) Not clicking on the online networks is more effective.

4) Writing to advertisers and boycotting could be effective, but that would also take a very public boycott.

5) As is always the case, if you don't like the products on NFLN and ESPN, then cancel them or don't watch. I suppose that you have better sources of sports information and better TV entertainment.

6) As for watching the draft, many never watch. Many others are junkies. Some like the NFLN or ESPN coverage. Some just watch results and no analysis. That is a free choice. I suspect the many patriots fans like watching the draft, whether the patriots have a pick or not. After all, many are NFL or draft junkies.

I will do my part to lower the ratings in the North Carolina market....

Watching the draft is boring as all hell anyway. Surprised people actually make a point to watch it in the first place. If I happen to be clicking through the channels when it's on, I'll watch it a bit, but only if there's literally nothing else to do.

You can just watch a 30min recap show, or better yet, visit a forum or read an article after it's over. Get all the info ya need in 5min of reading instead of wasting hours watching paint dry.

Does the draft typically get good ratings?

Edit: Guess that means ya can count me in the blackout. AFC East brothers stand together!

2) I suspect that few of you know how the ratings work. Do you imagine that there is some way that you failure to watch is noticed. That is only the case if you are part of that day's Nielson surveys.

Thanks for bringing this up, as I brought it up last night because I suspected this.

This is an excellent idea, but it really isn't worth this large scale coordinated effort unless you have a Nielsen box. The focus really has to be on staying off their websites. Not trying to be a stick in the mud, but it's an extremely relevant point.

Last edited:
I hope the Celtics (I was going to say the Bruins also but that's asking A LOT) are playing a playoff game that night and/or the Red Sox game doesn't get rained out so the local sports bars won't put those channels on the tube.

Watching the draft is boring as all hell anyway. Surprised people actually make a point to watch it in the first place. If I happen to be clicking through the channels when it's on, I'll watch it a bit, but only if there's literally nothing else to do.

You can just watch a 30min recap show, or better yet, visit a forum or read an article after it's over. Get all the info ya need in 5min of reading instead of wasting hours watching paint dry.

Does the draft typically get good ratings?

Edit: Guess that means ya can count me in the blackout. AFC East brothers stand together!

Isn't the draft when the Jets win the season? You're gonna miss it? :D

I'll make sure my mom in New Hampshire doesn't watch. That will probably confuse her, and she'll watch and get all of her friends to watch. On second thought, I won't tell her a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes