PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PatsFans.com Kicks Off 2016 1st Round Draft Day Blackout Initiative

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any media product that requires my listening to four or more hours of Mel Kiper, Ray Lewis, Chris Berman et al in return for about ten minutes of real information (the total time it takes to announce the picks) is never on my list of things to do, but I'll be double sure to avoid it this year.

That said, this is a great idea. If the Boston, Worcester, Springfield, Portsmouth, Portland, Hartford and a few other NE markets tune this out on a large scale, it will affect the ratings. So, good luck!
Going to take a lot of work. Requires a minimum of six figures worth of people (and really 7) participating otherwise it just looks ridiculous. We have about 4-weeks to get this out there, and I myself would love to read about how far off the ratings were on night one. They send out a press release after each one every year bragging about the numbers. We talked about it and it would be great to make one big impact on a night where, with no selection to make anyway, it should be easy to do.

dont you have to drop other channels to if you drop the nfl network with comcast?

Yes I did. Only will miss a couple of them. Didn't know till yesterday that I could drop NFLN w/o dropping most of my channels

Not at all, just means keep your television tuned away from ESPN and NFL Network and stay off both ESPN.com and NFL.com. :cool:

That's pretty much how I follow the draft anyway. Papa Kontra is in.

Never really a big draft guy (haven't tuned in since 2010 I don't think), but I'll continue to do my part.

Going to take a lot of work. Requires a minimum of six figures worth of people (and really 7) participating otherwise it just looks ridiculous. We have about 4-weeks to get this out there, and I myself would love to read about how far off the ratings were on night one. They send out a press release after each one every year bragging about the numbers. We talked about it and it would be great to make one big impact on a night where, with no selection to make anyway, it should be easy to do.
Yeah. It's tricky too, because folks elsewhere in the country might tune in just to spite us if they hear we're trying to do this.
It would be great if you could get some coverage on local sports spots on the evening news.
thanks and good luck!

Count me in love the idea!

Never really a big draft guy (haven't tuned in since 2010 I don't think), but I'll continue to do my part.

I spend more time in my computer checking out the dudes who are still available .... Don't really pay attention to the talking idiots....just the scrolling ticker underneath

I spend more time in my computer checking out the dudes who are still available .... Don't really pay attention to the talking idiots....just the scrolling ticker underneath

I could see going that route, certainly over listening to oxygen thieves like Kiper et al. I just gave up on trying to understand BB's drafting strategy; the 2010 draft was really the one that puzzled me (at the time) and left me nonplussed with the whole idea of projecting picks and having binkies.

PatsFans.com Kicks Off 2016 1st Round Draft Day Blackout Initiative

Ian Logue

PatsFans.com is kicking off an initiative against the NFL heading into next month's draft.

Continue reading...

Count me in PLUS I've canceled my premium cable package so will not have NFL or ESPN anyways.

I'm going to miss the exhilarating Thursday night condiments games though. :(

Ketchup vs Mustard

Ketchup vs Mustard.jpg

Ketchup vs Relish

Ketchup vs Relish2.jpg

What you do with your personal time, such as searching for available dudes on your computer, is your business.

Just don't watch the draft is all that Ian cares about.

:D

Well done, Ian I've put this on my own FB page. I sent it to all on my friends list, so I ought to be getting some positive as well as some "interesting" comments from a few of them.

I'll also be happy to pass the word to all I know.

Wait, serious question here. Aren't the ratings based on the Nielsen formula? In other words, aren't the only ones who actually effect the ratings the ones that have the box installed to monitor what they watch?

If so, everyone should sign up to be a Nielsen rating person asap, and then not watch the draft. I've always heard that the ratings were a pretty accurate projection based on a decent sample size. I'm not certain that what I watch gets recorded.

Someone explain this to stupid me.

EDIT--- Does the cable box submit this information? Help this luddite out!

Wait, serious question here. Aren't the ratings based on the Nielsen formula? In other words, aren't the only ones who actually effect the ratings the ones that have the box installed to monitor what they watch?

If so, everyone should sign up to be a Nielsen rating person asap, and then not watch the draft. I've always heard that the ratings were a pretty accurate projection based on a decent sample size. I'm not certain that what I watch gets recorded.

Someone explain this to stupid me.

EDIT--- Does the cable box submit this information? Help this luddite out!

Yes. Your cable and/or satellite provider sends the info to the various networks and also to the Nielsen ratings system.

I got rid of BSPN and NFL Network from FIOS last summer. The only channel I really miss is NESN; I wish FIOS would completely unbundled it. It still feels worthwhile withholding those monthly fees from the bad guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes