PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats will never win SB with Brady/Moss combo

Status
Not open for further replies.
You said it man. One dimensional offenses can't win against good defenses. Just ask Peyton Manning.

It's nice to see you guys are finally starting to figure out what it takes to win a championship.

A great QB and WR's just isn't enough.

Ask Notre Dame.

I was actually surprised there weren't more fans experiencing "falling down" moments immediately after the loss. Apparently, it was just delayed.

Here's a theory - the Pats had a tough loss in Indy and followed that up with a win over a hated rival. That drains a team emotionally, and the Pats just came out flat. Maroney and Welker appeared to be the only ones on the offense who got on the plane for New Orleans. It happens, and you move on. This is a relatively young secondary, and they obviously put up a clunker last night, as evidenced by an open receiver I could have hit for a TD (it reminded me of a defense in Necessary Roughness). You hope they learn from the mistakes (there were more than enough on both sides of the ball), move on, and correct them for the playoffs. Miami is a good start as it is (1) a road game and (2) has obvious playoff significance. This team needs to correct its issues soon, and it has several games against teams that flash brilliance to figure out how to win. The only thing that matters is the playoffs, and hopefully the Pats know exactly who and what it is by then.

As for the OP, I say the proposition is patently ridiculous. The tandem rolled over the entire NFL and lost 1 game in 2007. Moss had a receiving TD in that game, and it took (1) a missed reception by Samuel off his hands and (2) a miracle reception by a no-name receiver to lose the championship. This team pummeled Indy for 3 1/2 quarters two games ago, and put up enough points to win that game but for a defensive lapse. Not Brady or Moss's fault, and last time I checked Indy still is undefeated.

Aiken did catch 7 passes for 90 yards. Can't ask much more of your number three receiver.

Yes, I agree those are good numbers, but how many TDs? how many plays of 20+ yards? The Saints were putting their worst DB on him every play, he should be putting up those numbers. Our number 3 WR should be making big plays with the coverage he got last night

Some of you guys are just ridiculous! The problem isn't Randy, the problem was the O-line, Brady making mistakes, and terrible playcalling at times.

The reason Brady started to get "panicked" and made a couple of terrible passes is because his O-line was getting abused. They were only rushing 3-4 most of the game but the O-line couldn't handle it. 3 guys were consistently beating our 5+ blockers to get to Brady. You simply won't win games if that happens. Brady was on the run all night, worrying more about not getting sacked than finding the open man. Since he didn't have time, he looked to who he thought would be open and ended up making a couple of bad reads because of it.

The play calling was just too predictable. Yes, they did call screens, slants, dump offs to backs in the flats, run plays (especially early), etc, but they were all predictable. The screens went no where because of perfect coverage, dumps offs in the flat were blown up, the safeties/CBs were expecting and jumping slant routes, and Brady never had time for the deep routes to develop. As much as we rag on O'Brian though, the offense simply won't be productive if the O-line completely falls apart like last night.

Ever since Tom Brady was given all these high powered tools this offense has become more and more predictable, produces critical TO's with Brady always forcing the ball to his binky Moss, (did it again last night - Pats up 7 - 3, D stops Bress, Welker makes great punt return and Brady chokes it right back when looking for his binky- HUGE momentun changer in that game) and leaves the D on the field far too long and far too often.
As weird as it sounds this O and this team were better off when they had a dink and dunk offense which controllled the clock and the tempo of the game. When is the last time this offense went on a 9 minute drive? Doesn't happen and one of the big reasons why is Brady continues his obsession in keeping his binky happy by forcing the ball to Moss thus turning it over/going out on downs continually.
Until this team gets back to its' roots with a ball control and clock management offense with team will never win another SB. A big part of what made the defenses in '01, '03 and '04 so good is that the O kept the ball and kept them off the field for long periods of time. Unfortunately this D unit doesn't have the same luxury.

"AHHHHH! The Patriots lost to an Undefeated squad! Someone park the bandwagon I'm outta here!" :rolleyes:

Attachments

• the_sky_is_falling_card-p137465483614823791q0yk_400.jpg
    the_sky_is_falling_card-p137465483614823791q0yk_400.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 101
The problem with the offense is it lacks a competent coordinator who is able to design and call plays that best maximize the immense talent on this side of the ball. Fix that glaring problem and all will be good!
In total agreement with this. NO has a playbook from 2009 and the Pats are still in 2001.
What I saw last night from NO showed surgical precision in both play design and play execution. I cant fault our CB's...those passes from Brees were dead-on accurate, finding seams between our coverage while their play design and Brees' look-offs created seams where none should have been. BB certainly noticed the advancement NO has made in its pass-play design and I wouldnt be a bit surprised if some of their plays end up in the Pats playbook this week.

It's got nothing to do with the Brady to Moss/Welker combination. The problem lies at the heart of the 3rd and 4th receiver options and absolutely no balance between the run and pass on offense.

Last night I watched the Saints spread the wealth to a receiving core than individually are ok but together are an excellent unit. Then I watched them pound the ball with Thomas and Bell.

If the Patriots want to be a pass happy offense, we're going to need a little more than Stanback, Edleman & Aiken. Against good defenses, we were in the **** when Galloway didn't work out and Gaffney wasn't extended.

On the defense, well in a game that is evolving into a pass pass pass game, when you have no pass rush, what did you expect. Our achilles heal was exposed, in the most honest of fashions. I can assure you BB saw it, and will do something about it.

Last edited:
It's got nothing to do with the Brady to Moss/Welker combination. The problem lies at the heart of the 3rd and 4th receiver options and absolutely no balance between the run and pass on offense.

Last night I watched the Saints spread the wealth to a receiving core than individually are ok but together are an excellent unit. Then I watched them pound the ball with Thomas and Bell.

If the Patriots want to be a pass happy offense, we're going to need a little more than Stanback, Edleman & Aiken. Against good defenses, we were in the **** when Galloway didn't work out and Gaffney wasn't extended.

On the defense, well in a game that is evolving into a pass pass pass game, when you have no pass rush, what did you expect. Our achilles heal was exposed, in the most honest of fashions. I can assure you BB saw it, and will do something about it.

I agree with the majority of what you said. The Pats should use the Saints to model their offense after. They have so many weapons and they have a good mix of run and pass to keep the safties up which allows Brees to burn them over the top when he wants

Dude, we lead the league in time of possession.

Is that why the Colts had FOURTEEN possessions in their game against the Patriots?? That was UNHEARD OF in the dink and dunk years.
That's 3 + possessions of the ball per quarter for Peyton Manning. The Colts got their hands on the ball 14 times (7 punts, 2 picks and 5 scores) because the Patriots go on 9 minute drives, eat up the clock and lead the league in time of possession??? :D
Keep trying dude!!! :cool:
PS - a little advice. Try looking a bit deeper at these stats.
You might start with the Titans game and how that skewed all the Patriots numbers.

Let's face it, our D ain't too good and Brady had an off night as did the OL. NO getting pressure on Brady with a 3 man rush? Pathetic. Mike McKenzie coming out of a nursing home to shut down our receivers? Ridiculous. Zero pressure on Brees from our very impotent pass rush? Par for the course this year. We got beat by a better team. We are in rebuilding mode and it shows.

Let's face it, our D ain't too good and Brady had an off night as did the OL. NO getting pressure on Brady with a 3 man rush? Pathetic. Mike McKenzie coming out of a nursing home to shut down our receivers? Ridiculous. Zero pressure on Brees from our very impotent pass rush? Par for the course this year. We got beat by a better team. We are in rebuilding mode and it shows.

The D is in a rebuilding mode which we all anticipated coming into the season. Everyone understands how it's the offense that is the strength of this team this year. Unfortunately they are not up to the task of carrying this team when need be. This offense turns it over at critical mo changing times, an offense that scores 100 more points in the 1st half than the 2nd half of games and is rendered impotent by halftime adjustments against good teams. An offense that more often than not completely forgets to feature its' TE's in the passing game, forgets its' league best ability with screen passes, forgets how clock management and not stats for Brady's binky is the key to helping the defense and closing out games.

The D is in a rebuilding mode which we all anticipated coming into the season. Everyone understands how it's the offense that is the strength of this team this year. Unfortunately they are not up to the task of carrying this team when need be. This offense turns it over at critical mo changing times, an offense that scores 100 more points in the 1st half than the 2nd half of games and is rendered impotent by halftime adjustments against good teams. An offense that more often than not completely forgets to feature its' TE's in the passing game, forgets its' league best ability with screen passes, forgets how clock management and not stats for Brady's binky is the key to helping the defense and closing out games.

Charlie Weis?

The Pats went 18-1 in 2007 and if either Asante Samuel or Brandon Meriweather caught either of Eli Manning's gift wrapped interceptions in the Super Bowl, they would have gone 19-0 and won the Super Bowl.

This offense has become too predictable crap is ridiculous. I will admit Bill O'Brien is going through some serious growing pains as a signal caller, but there was nothing wrong with the offense in 2007. Hopefully O'Brien will learn from these mistakes by playoffs time.

Typical Samuel butterfingers. Guy INTs some ridiculous circus passes but drops these passes right in/through his hands. I KNEW when he let that one "Slip Away" all pun intended IT WAS OVER!

Maybe there's hope for Brady/Moss,
A-Roid won a World Series Right ( Vs My Team Phils) But then again Yanks paid a Billion dollars last year.

PS, defense wins championships. Don't lose sight of that.

They'll also never win a super bowl with the defense they currently have. Also, don't forget the horrible offensive play calling and terrible coordinators.

Last edited:
They'll also never win a super bowl with the defense they currently have. Also, don't forget the horrible offensive play calling and terrible coordinators.

Yup...agreed...the OP might be right about the Pats never winning with the Brady/Moss combo...although ironically it wont be their fault.

This is not a Super Bowl defense...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3