PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats trade undisclosed 2010 pick to Bucs for TE Alex Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tampa Bay traded for Kellen Winslow before the draft, so between him and Jeremy Stevens the Bucs didn't have much of a need for Alex Smith. Apparently it's only a 6th or 7th next year so it's not like the Pats are giving up much for him. I guess it will come down to Smith versus Thomas for a roster spot.

The Pats got a 2010 seventh rounder from the Eagles in the Lewis trade.
DW Toys

Seems like they wanted to pick up a blocking TE in the draft,,

Wonder which one they were targeting / the one that got away?????????

BB was having withdrawal from not selecting a TE with all those bullets. This is a warm and fuzzy for him. I would have rather had James Casey who lasted until #152 but we took all-pro-gonna-be Orhenberger who said he was shocked that he went that high. Yikes!
Watson has become a decent blocker. Baker is no speed merchant but a decent blocker. We needed a TE we could split. Is that Smith?
DW Toys

Triple ot wooooooooo

How about the fifty such horrible plays by Watson. I also hope Thomas is safe.

Its amazing how people like you just make things up and pretend that you know what you are talking about.

Its amazing how people like you just make things up and pretend that you know what you are talking about.

Right so he didn't drop easy passes, mess up blocks, fall down at all last year?

It's not 50 plays, but it's over a dozen.

Last edited:
Panthers don't really use the TE much in their offense. They have a couple good guys there already -- Jeff King & Dante Rosario -- who are both under-utilized.

Rosario will probably go on to have a great career for a team with a TE-friendly offense.

How are they under-utilized? King has had 42 and 21 receptions in the last two years while Rosario went from 6 to 18. The Panthers use the TE for receiving as much as any other team that doesn't have Gates or Gonzalez.

Right so he didn't drop easy passes, mess up blocks, fall down at all last year?

It's not 50 plays, but it's over a dozen.
Watson had 4 drops last year. Moss had 7. Welker had a bunch too. So did Gaffney.

Fall down? WTF are you talking about? And what blocks did Watson "mess up"?

Watson had 4 drops last year. Moss had 7. Welker had a bunch too. So did Gaffney.

clearly we should cut moss, and welker they drop to many passes..........
[sarcasm]

im not gonna try to remind any 1 of the 1 or 2 plays watson had in the redzone where he was wide open and cassel didnt see him this season.

i saw watson do some mistakes over there on the field during some games that one season.

Have people really forgotten 07 already? Watson was a pretty darn good TE that year. He had 36 receptions for almost 400 yards and six touchdowns. In an offense that doesn't really feature TEs that much, those are great numbers. With Brady back, I expect Watson to produce. What's more, he's a much better blocker than Thomas (I still have nightmares about that Indy game), and he's clearly had more experience/chemistry with Brady. Watson, Baker, Smith is my prediction for the depth chart, with Thomas possibly staying on if we don't sign a fullback. And that's a very good rotation that, in our style of offense, fits exactly what we like to do.

Let's not go crazy with trade scenarios. Especially not if overpriced superstars are involved. Haha.

I reside about 50 miles south of Tampa Bay. As a native New Englander I'm a Patriots fan thru & thru. That being said, I like the Bucs in general and can't root against them like I do with say..... The Dolphins, The Raiders, The Jets, The Cowboys, The Broncos etc etc.....

I just spent a few hours reading everything I could find online from Bucs fans about Alex Smith......and during the season obviously I have them on locally every week.....

The Patriots just picked up a very solid TE that blocks well, has good hands, is rangy if not speedy and very reliable..... BB obviously got a player he wants on our team for a bargain price.

That said: we've got more TE's than we can possibly keep... Someone a lot of people like is gonna get traded or cut come TC. I think Watson is gonna be traded..... Just my opinion. I don't feel one way or the other about it. It's just the way things go.....

Last edited:
The issues with watson are:
1. He is going to get more money next year.
2. He is made of glass. Too often injured.
3. Dropped 4 passes caught 22, 84%, moss 90.7% caught 69.
4. Blocking is still hit and miss, but is getting a bit better.

Baker 10.3 yards/catch, 12td-145rec
Smith 9.7 yards/catch, 11td-129rec
Watson 12.3 yards/catch, 15td-138rec

If we trade watson, it will be to get something in return for someone who we are not going to pay nest year. There is no reason to trade him for the sake of it, but if he is part of a trade for a good player or a 3/4 round pick, then we probably move him.

Can`t wait to see them pull matt light or the OL going on screens and a DE is left 1 on 1 on alex smith[watson took on DE in this formation]

if he is good we will see the same rushing production if not brady getting sacked.

How many TE's consistently block DE's? not many and watson wasn't an exception.

Last edited:
"If he was available, then he must not be any good". :D

Maybe TB doesn't know know how to value/use what they have? Maybe they made an ill advised trade for a "name" TE...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft