PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats trade undisclosed 2010 pick to Bucs for TE Alex Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't see the Hobbs or Vrabel trade coming. I didn't think that we needed another tightend. Now we have another guy who will compete for a starting job. It will not surprise me if one of Watson or Thomas are traded, but those guys better STEP UP when they come to camp. They have some competition.

I'd rather deal at least one of them now.
More reps for the new guys.

Just saw that myself and came here to see if anybody knew anything, could this be Peppers?

That's the first thing that popped into my head. "Maybe Watson's going to Carolina as part of a Peppers' deal". Smith is supposed to be a very good blocking TE, which the Pats haven't really had since Graham..I don't really count Brady.

Does Carolina need a TE?

I think the insanity on this board is growing over Julius Peppers. I think Vic Carrucci is a prick for a running a story that didn't have any truth behind it. In fact, for him to come and say that it was pretty much a done deal for the #34 overall pick was premature and completely irresponsible of him. However, like lots of people on this board, I'm still hoping the Pats make a play for Peppers which could really put this defense over the top. Because of the addition of Alex Smith, Watson, Green and a draft pick could be packaged up for Peppers. And yes, the Panthers desperately need a receiving TE.

Last edited:
I'm not buying this trade is an isolated event.... Part B to this trade is still to come.....Watson or Thomas, possibly both are going somewhere for someone.... How is Carolina's TE situation these days?....

..... Because of the addition of Alex Smith, Watson, Green and a draft pick could be packaged up for Peppers. And yes, the Panthers desperately need a receiving TE.

Receiving tight end? Have you seen Watson try to catch a football?

Hey guys don't forget
Tyson DeVree (2010)
Brad Listorti (2009)
are still on the roster as well according to Mike so that brings the total to six.

I hope we're not trading or releasing Watson. He does well wit Brady. I actually like him a lot.

Hmmm, he's 6'4" and 258#, from Stanford so he must be bright, plays TE so he must be able to play in space ... maybe we'll convert him to 3-4 OLB. :D

We also don't have a FB so taking 4 TEs into the season is not out of the question.

Receiving tight end? Have you seen Watson try to catch a football?

hees better then thomas so why would we drop him, we dont despreatly need that 400k that getting rid of him would save so whats the point?

Last edited:
I love Thomas, but outside of a few flashes his rookie year, he's been a major disappointment. (Funny about that class -- both Cjax & DT showed such promise, yet never fulfilled ...)

I recall Alex Smith similarly had a strong rookie year in Tampa, then basically disappeared. I know TB acquired the Walking Human Excrement that is Jerramy Stevens (for those who haven't, google "jerramy stevens seattle times" for the lovely details) and they ended up splitting time.

But I think Smith eventually fell into Gruden's capricious doghouse and never emerged.

I also had high hopes for Thomas, but he has done almost nothing for 3 full years now. That he was a healthy scratch from the 45 for one game last year was quite worrying in regards to his progress.

His biggest success is that he's managed to escape the attention of the boo boys, despite being an underachieving high round draft pick.

He needs a huge training camp/pre-season imo.

hees better then thomas so why would we drop him, we dont despreatly need that 400k that getting rid of him would save so whats the point?

Watson can't block as well as Thomas, which is why they have needed a blocking TE on the team since Watson was drafted.

Last edited:
Watson can't block as well as Thomas, which is why they have needed a blocking TE on the team since Watson was drafted.

well hees a better recieving TE then smith so now that we have baker whos a better blocker why is watson being the selected as the 1 every one wants out

baker smith and watson would be a great combination to have

Last edited:

Watson was a far superior blocker to Thomas last year. He has turned himself into a pretty darn good blocker.

Watson was a far superior blocker to Thomas last year. He has turned himself into a pretty darn good blocker.

Pretty darn good - like, how good. Serviceable?
I dunno, I'm not sold on his blocking just yet.

But is he at the level they want to warrant the price tag?

I'm not buying this trade is an isolated event.... Part B to this trade is still to come.....Watson or Thomas, possibly both are going somewhere for someone.... How is Carolina's TE situation these days?....

Panthers don't really use the TE much in their offense. They have a couple good guys there already -- Jeff King & Dante Rosario -- who are both under-utilized.

Rosario will probably go on to have a great career for a team with a TE-friendly offense.

Man, this better be a low-round pick. No higher than a 6th, preferably.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye