PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Running Backs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ridley needs to secure the ball batter if he's going to be the #1

It is good to have the experience of Addai and Woodhead to support Ridley and Vereen who we hope will be major factors in the offense.

Some observations from Reiss at today's OTA:

- The team appeared to focus more on two overall themes today than what we saw last week: the running game and up-tempo offense. The offensive line and running backs worked on inside runs during the individual drills portion of the practice, and the entire offense congregated shortly thereafter for about 10 minutes of running plays. At this point of the offseason, it’s difficult to simulate the running game without pads, but operating against a scout team defense (made up of reserve offensive players) using hand shields seemed to give the offense a solid look. Up-tempo offense has been a staple in New England for many seasons, and it should come as no surprise that the team worked on it today.

- Watching offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels and offensive line coach Dante Scarnecchia work in concert is a unique experience. Both hold their players to high standards, and each is attentive to details. During a period focused on the running game (which was led by the two), the offense was forced to re-run multiple plays from the top after the coaches called for better execution. It would appear that both will be heavily involved in the leading the running game this season, and the pair already seems to have its working chemistry back after McDaniels’ departure from New England early in 2009.

- A couple of individual position drill notes: Eric Kettani, who is viewed by some as a fullback and a running back by others, took handoffs during an inside running game drill. That could be a suggestion that he’ll see some more reps at running back during the preseason. Also during individual drills, a pair of running backs -- Danny Woodhead and Shane Vereen -- worked on routes with a quarterback. Woodhead is an established receiver out of the backfield, while Vereen may step into that role in his second season as a pro. He averaged nearly 25 catches per season in college.

More observations from Thursday's OTA - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Hopefully signs that better use of the running game and of the RBs in the passing offense will be a point of emphasis this year.

It's hard to be a running team when you have the likes of Hernandez, Gronkowski, Welker, Brady etc on your squad. The teams strength is in the passing game, so that is what we emphasis.

Can we show more love to the running game? Perhaps so, but it's not our strength or our primary source of attack. The Patriots have been decisively better running the ball then people give them credit for IMO. They where 20th last year in rushing, and (I believe) 16th the year before. We are usually in the middle of the pack.

We could be more balanced...sure we can. But when you got targets and a QB like we do, being balanced doesn't always play to our strengths. We were 2nd in passing and were 20th in the league in rushing with 2 rookie RB's and a UDFA leading the way. That's about the type of production you can expect from the talent on our team.

Bottom line, if we rushed the ball more, I'm sure we could be 6th-7th in the league in rushing and maybe 4th-5th in passing. But talent plays a role in that as well. I love BJGE like the next guy, but BJGE is a hammer runner who will get you no more then 1,200 yards, tops. (and keep you around 20th in rushing I may add). Get better rushing talent, and you'll start to see a more balanced attack, simple as that. Play to our strengths, and right now, passing is our strengths, and rushing was not (no offense to BJGE).

I wasn't really impressed by our running game with BJGE and now it's like running back by committee to me. I can't imagine D coordinators losin sleep over having to defend our runnin game and sayin Pats have 2 potent areas to concentrate on. As much of a passin attack we always had it's still relevant to have a BONIFIED REAL RUNNING BACK because some where in that crucial spot of a crucial game Pats MUST control'da clock move those chains and take a knee. All these RBs are nice but unless somebody is gonna step up and be that Dillon/Faulk guy it's still one sided O to me........
Thoughts???

Wait, are you claiming it was not RB by committee last year?

Name a Dillon-type? There are a few. Now name one on a playoff team? Foster, Gore and am I forgetting any? One's QB was injured and had to shoulder the load and the other has Alex Smith for a QB. If passing plays become running plays that is a good thing.

Here if, say Addai, gets extra carries that is one less pass to Gronkowski. A clock killer would be nice, but otherwise, we have not missed it.

In case some of us haven't yet noticed, we are missing 80% of our starting OL during these OTAs. I understand that the real games don't begin for another 3 months, but if Brady starts taking 5/7-step drops while looking for all of these nice, shiny weapons with the current OL, he'll soon be looking at the turf instead.
Re-establishing the running game as a legitimate 4-down threat during Brady's golden years is essential if Bill ever wants to seal the deal in Febuary, esp. against a team like our Daddies who are far better killing the QB than they are stopping the run.

It's hard to be a running team when you have the likes of Hernandez, Gronkowski, Welker, Brady etc on your squad. The teams strength is in the passing game, so that is what we emphasis.

Can we show more love to the running game? Perhaps so, but it's not our strength or our primary source of attack. The Patriots have been decisively better running the ball then people give them credit for IMO. They where 20th last year in rushing, and (I believe) 16th the year before. We are usually in the middle of the pack.

We could be more balanced...sure we can. But when you got targets and a QB like we do, being balanced doesn't always play to our strengths. We were 2nd in passing and were 20th in the league in rushing with 2 rookie RB's and a UDFA leading the way. That's about the type of production you can expect from the talent on our team.

Bottom line, if we rushed the ball more, I'm sure we could be 6th-7th in the league in rushing and maybe 4th-5th in passing. But talent plays a role in that as well. I love BJGE like the next guy, but BJGE is a hammer runner who will get you no more then 1,200 yards, tops. (and keep you around 20th in rushing I may add). Get better rushing talent, and you'll start to see a more balanced attack, simple as that. Play to our strengths, and right now, passing is our strengths, and rushing was not (no offense to BJGE).

Good points. One thing I would like to see the Pats do is to take advantage of teams selling out to defense against the pass, and exploit their neglect of attention to the running game. If that is successful then opponents have to pay more attention to the run, which in turn should open things up that much more in the passing game for the Pats.

It would be a vicious circle - not for the Pats, but for opposing defenses.

In case some of us haven't yet noticed, we are missing 80% of our starting OL during these OTAs. I understand that the real games don't begin for another 3 months, but if Brady starts taking 5/7-step drops while looking for all of these nice, shiny weapons with the current OL, he'll soon be looking at the turf instead.

Hold on a second. Waters isn't at OTAs but it's already been reported that is standard procedure for him and that he plans on playing. When the season begins Vollmer will have had a full year to rehab, and if for some reason he can't go Cannon is ready to fill in. Mankins did have the ACL injury but we have already seen that Connolly can move over and handle the position. Koppen or one of the two others that started at center can take over those duties. (I'm not sure who the 4th OL is that is missing to arrive at the 80% figure; from what I read both Solder and Connolly (and Koppen) were in attendance.) With all of those guys playing on the line last year Brady somehow managed to throw for 5235 yards, and the Patriots did win 15 games.

The Pats OL is fine, and they're well equipped to overcome an injury or two.

Re-establishing the running game as a legitimate 4-down threat during Brady's golden years is essential.

I'm all in favor of a more potent running game.

Good points. One thing I would like to see the Pats do is to take advantage of teams selling out to defense against the pass, and exploit their neglect of attention to the running game. If that is successful then opponents have to pay more attention to the run, which in turn should open things up that much more in the passing game for the Pats.

It would be a vicious circle - not for the Pats, but for opposing defenses.

Honestly, I think we *did* do that from time to time. Or at least attempt to. And its also why, IMO, BJGE hung around the 5 yards a carry mark (Woodhead did as well). All our rushers averaged in the low to mid 4ypc, which on the surface, would suggest we have some beasts at RB. But in reality, we just ran decisively and not very often. Teams where so geared up for the pass that guys like BJGE and Woodhead were easily getting 4-5 yards a pop.

This is why i'm going to be interested to see BJGE in Cincy, a team that will feature him. I question if a lot of BJGES production being the fact of the system he in here, or if it was actual "talent", or what. It'll be interesting to see how he does there.

Re-establishing the running game as a legitimate 4-down threat during Brady's golden years is essential if Bill ever wants to seal the deal in Febuary, esp. against a team like our Daddies who are far better killing the QB than they are stopping the run.

Vollmer is the only one I'm kind of worried about. If Mankins isnt ready so be it, we've made due without him before for half a season. We know Waters will be there. Connolly and Koppen will be there. We're fine.

Vollmer is the only one I'm kind of worried about. If Mankins isnt ready so be it, we've made due without him before for half a season. We know Waters will be there. Connolly and Koppen will be there. We're fine.

I NEVER worry about our offensive line. Ever. If there there is one coach and position on this team I have complete and utter faith in, its Dante Scarnecchia and the offensive line.

Cannon is capable of playing RT. I am indeed worried about OT depth if Vollmer is not ready for the season, especially with Waters next to him.

We're more than fine at OG and C. There are solid starters and solid depth.

You say that we are ready to handle an injury or two. Let's examine this. Vollmer is ALREADY injury #1. Obviously Light is gone. We are OK because we have Solder and Cannon. Who are the backups? Who would you have active as the game-day backup at OT
if Vollmer is out for a few games? Are we ready for Gallery at OT?

Are we ready to give a 9th OL roster (if there is one) to Matt Kopa instead of Wendell or MacDonald or Thomas? Are you giving away Gallery's roster spot?

LOCKS OR ALMOST LOCKS (7)
Solder, Vollmer, Cannon
Mankins, Waters, Connolly, Koppen

The Pats OL is fine, and they're well equipped to overcome an injury or two.

Last edited:
Cannon is capable of playing RT. I am indeed worried about OT depth if Vollmer is not ready for the season, especially with Waters next to him.

Losing Vollmer would obviously hurt. Solder can play either OT position and Cannon should be decent at RT. Gallery has played RT reasonably well earlier in his career, though not recently. Mankins started a game at LT last year. But at some point, if enough injuries add up, it will stretch things. I kind of expect the OL depth to get tested at some point this season given how it has been tested in recent years. Scar is among the best at scotch-taping a line together in a hurry. I wouldn't say "no worries", but I think the Pats are as well situated to handle OL injuries as most teams in the league.

Yes, Scar does magic, but I don't think that we are very prepared at LT.

Losing Vollmer would obviously hurt. Solder can play either OT position and Cannon should be decent at RT. Gallery has played RT reasonably well earlier in his career, though not recently. Mankins started a game at LT last year. But at some point, if enough injuries add up, it will stretch things. I kind of expect the OL depth to get tested at some point this season given how it has been tested in recent years. Scar is among the best at scotch-taping a line together in a hurry. I wouldn't say "no worries", but I think the Pats are as well situated to handle OL injuries as most teams in the league.

Yes, Scar does magic, but I don't think that we are very prepared at LT.

We're in good shape as long as Solder doesn't get hurt. :D Unless Matt Light wants to suddenly "unretire" - not likely.

Again, I fully expect to see an OL duct-taped together at some point during the season.

Yeah, that 1 fumble last year is a real red flag... :rolleyes:

Ridley is the offensive equivalent of Dowling for the board. We have to have a player on each side of the ball about whom we can inflate and create negative attributes in order to rag on them. It is a nutritional requirement of the board.

Hold on a second.
Waters isn't at OTAs but it's already been reported that is standard procedure for him and that he plans on playing.
That's good news if Waters plans on returning. Where has this been reported?

When the season begins Vollmer will have had a full year to rehab, and if for some reason he can't go Cannon is ready to fill in.
I have a feeling that Vollmer's back will be an issue throughout his career. My question re: Cannon is, can he handle outside speed playing at Tackle?

Mankins did have the ACL injury but we have already seen that Connolly can move over and handle the position. Koppen or one of the two others that started at center can take over those duties.
I already have Mankins on the PUP to start the season. Connolly is a better Center than Guard, so the downgrade could be significant.

(I'm not sure who the 4th OL is that is missing to arrive at the 80% figure; from what I read both Solder and Connolly (and Koppen) were in attendance.)
I should've stated that 80% of the starting OL in the SB is missing, because I included Light in that figure.

With all of those guys playing on the line last year Brady somehow managed to throw for 5235 yards, and the Patriots did win 15 games...

If Waters returns & Vollmer's back holds up, the the OL should be in good enough shape until Mankins comes
off PUP. Until then, I think that Connolly will start at LG and Koppen at Center. Afterwards, guys like Cannon, Thomas, McDonald & Gallery will be able to ass-ume the roles that their talent dictates.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back