PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats release Greg Lewis, claim UDFA S Bret Lockett (Browns)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish we could get videos like this of all draft prospects. There are two views of each highlight.

YouTube - Brett Lockett Hi-Light

Half the video is special teams coverage and this guy is leading the charge. So, is he a better, bigger version of Slater?

He looks like he can actually play safety, too. We've had a number of nice STers (Izzo, Slater, Washington) who were dynamite on ST but didn't bring much positional value. A STer who has some value at a position would be a nice novelty.

the real reason why 9 rookies made the team

Has nothing to do with their unbelievable talent and the Pats unbelievable scouting

Has EVERYTHING to do with the upcoming 2011 lockout.
Patriots want to flood the team with low priced talent to be in good financial shape after the situation is unresolved.
Other than Brady they will not spend big dollars on extensions.

The more cheap draft picks and UDFA they can stock on the team the closer they are to their strategic goal

I can't say I'm surprised nor shocked cosidering Lewis probably wasn't going to contribute as much as others(Moss, Galloway, Welker...etc) but its definitely a head scratcher. Whatever happened to verteran loving BB we knew? :confused:

He doesn't know how to draft; he doesn't know how to trade
BB never won anything without Brady; Brady is a system QB
Moss is a cancer - Gabriel is the Pats new #1!
I can't believe the Pats gave up a 2nd and a 7th for Wes Welker!
This is our last chance; we need to build for the future

The sky is falling; we're doooooooooooooomed!

Re: the real reason why 9 rookies made the team

Has nothing to do with their unbelievable talent and the Pats unbelievable scouting

Patriots want to flood the team with low priced talent to be in good financial shape after the situation is unresolved.

The more cheap draft picks and UDFA they can stock on the team the closer they are to their strategic goal

I think you, Sir, might be on to something.

greg lewis looked like a tool in preseason - i guess hew as worth a looksie -
5th rounders come and go - there will be plenty more where that came from...

I'm surprised by this. I watched the games closely and Lewis caught what was thrown to him, hung onto balls in traffic despite getting hit hard, blocked for Welker, and seemed in sync with the routes. He was on an inexpensive long-term contract.

I don't get it.

I don't see the game film or watch the practices or know the plan, so there's no reason I should get it. But whatever the reason, it sure ain't obvious to me.

To those of you who said he was invisible, watch the games again (I did) and you'll see he wasn't.

Hardly a surprise cut -- and another reminder that what we mere fans think we see during camp and preseason games isn't entirely meaningless. :)

Were Lewis and Smith poor trades and wastes of draft picks? Sure. It's unarguable at this point. But on the bright side, marginal veterans are being pushed off the roster to make room for what looks like an extraordinarily deep draft class, potentially bust-free. It's kind of the opposite of the year when the draft yielded precious little in the way of rookies but a bonanza named Moss and Welker.

Or to put it another way -- they spent a 3rd, 5th, 7th & 7th on WRs this offseason. It netted them Galloway, Edelman, Nunn, and Tate. Seems like a reasonable return so far.

Then package the 5s and move up to the 4th round or something instead of trading them for known crappy players that you know wont make the team.

Like Greg Lewis.....he was a friggin' starter in Philly.

Jesus H Christ!......a fifth for a fourth!

Well....at least Bill isn't afraid to admit that his pickups of late has been awful.

First, let me say I am surprised. I thought Lewis was doing well on special teams. However, special teams is particularly difficult for outsiders like us to judge, especially in the preseason.

1) LEWIS never held a WR position. He held a ST position (as does Aiken) and has been replaced by another STer Lockett.

2) Our four WR's remain the same: MOSS, WELKER, GALLOWAY, EDELMAN

3) Aiken is our emergency #5 receiver. He was #4 last year.

4) There is no need for another WR on the 53. Nunn is on the PS and Tate is on the PUP. If Tate weren't going to be ready, I would have expected him to be on the IR. We could add Nunn temporarily (sounds likes Childress already), but there is no real need.

5) Five WR's is plenty. A TE and a RB are likely to be #4 and #5 in terms of receptions. Almost all 4 and 5 receiver sets included a TE and/or a RB. After all, last I checked (and I do it often), Watson and Faulk are still on the team.

Like Greg Lewis.....he was a friggin' starter in Philly.

Jesus H Christ!......a fifth for a fourth!

Well, to be fair, he was signed for three more seasons at cheap money, so it's not like trading a third for Starks.

He looks like he can actually play safety, too. We've had a number of nice STers (Izzo, Slater, Washington) who were dynamite on ST but didn't bring much positional value. A STer who has some value at a position would be a nice novelty.

He may be familiar with the defense; to the degree he knows Mangini's version of it.

Not complaining..just saying that is two 5th round draft picks for which the Patriots received training camp fodder.
That's okay. Most fifth round (and sixth and seventh round) picks are training camp fodder. Every draft I have hopes as I read Kiper's and other draft guides, but the fact is that most don't make it. Though I'm sure there will be plenty who want a pro-bowler with every pick, when you take flyers on players, some work out, some don't, and if you are lucky you sometimes get a Brady, Givens, Cassel, etc.

what an off season for drama
Ain't that the truth!!!!!

Re: the real reason why 9 rookies made the team

So this would work how? They are saving pennies to somehow push them forward into 2010, signing up everybody w/high price tags in '10, try to sign guys with big paydays coming anyway to 2010 money, then... what? Have plenty of money available during the lockout, to be ready for '12? Wha? Huh?

Exactly how are you going to win "after the situation is unresolved"? A lockout means no NFL talent matters. If the cap does not return -- which every party says is likely -- it's purely a matter of the big market teams getting in bidding wars (something the Pats are well positioned for.)

I don't get the mechanics of the "good financial position" you're talking about, just elaborate. Not sure I disagree, but I don't get how cutting Greg Lewis is a lockout-oriented move. Looks more like unloading dead weight on the premise that there will be a cap.

Help me out here.

PFnV

Hardly a surprise cut -- and another reminder that what we mere fans think we see during camp and preseason games isn't entirely meaningless. :)

Were Lewis and Smith poor trades and wastes of draft picks? Sure. It's unarguable at this point. But on the bright side, marginal veterans are being pushed off the roster to make room for what looks like an extraordinarily deep draft class, potentially bust-free. It's kind of the opposite of the year when the draft yielded precious little in the way of rookies but a bonanza named Moss and Welker.

Or to put it another way -- they spent a 3rd, 5th, 7th & 7th on WRs this offseason. It netted them Galloway, Edelman, Nunn, and Tate. Seems like a reasonable return so far.

Your optimism is disturbing. Most of the board has proven beyond a reasonable doubt that BB is mentally unstable and unfit to serve as HC. The remaining people on the board are apparently drowning in pools of Kool aide already celebrating the next SuperBowl win because they refuse to subscribe to the CLIFC (Chicken Little Ideology Fan Club). There is no middle ground. sides are being taken. Choose carefully, Patchick. Choose carefully!

/Sacrasm off.

I swear at least some of these people are disguised NY fans trying to drag the water some more.

Last edited:
Don't forget Daunte Stallworth, at the time he was suppose to bring alot to the team eventhough he didn't live up to it.
Well, it depends on what you thought he was supposed to do. I have no idea, myself, and if I played Fantasy Football and had him on my team, I'd be bummed. But it you think that a good part of his job was to streak downfield opposite Moss and keep the safety honest so Moss could make more catches, then he did his job in the 2007 season. Likewise, I think most stat-folks are going to be reallly disappointed in Galloway, but I think he will be a valuable part of the team nonetheless. It just won't be in thestats and FF points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News