PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats release Greg Lewis, claim UDFA S Bret Lockett (Browns)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watch it. This is a family oriented website.

Well as you have no smiley face I must ask. Are you kidding or young enough to have never heard that saying?

Well as you have no smiley face I must ask. Are you kidding or young enough to have never heard that saying?

Was just kidding, bro. :D :D :D

That was my dirty mind throwing in the alternate translation.

Last edited:
Yes. Brady is constantly in the trainers room. The last three games he's played he's been injured in all of them. Shoulder vs. Redskins last week. Knee vs. Chiefs last September and Ankle vs. the NYG in the biggest Pats game ever. The guy's obviously on the downside (compared to the 2007 version) and going to be a recurring injury risk going forward. BB would not be doing his job if he isn't seriously looking to get what he can for this guy while he's still got some value. :rolleyes:

Exactly! And it's been widely claimed that Moss has lost speed and is no longer the blazer he once was. These players need to be moved so that the team can contend for Super Bowls in the future. Sometimes we have to just forget instant gratification. Sure, Brady MIGHT help bring in several more Super Bowls, but the same could be said about Seymour, and the Patriots got rid of his ancient (29 years old) ass. I say ship out Mr. "I'm in my 30's and take pictures with goats" along with Mr. Straight Cash, and the draft picks the team gets for them will help them challenge for Super Bowls again in 2015.

Was just kidding, bro. :D :D :D

That was my dirty mind throwing in the alternate translation.

Silly shmessy, he couldn't have meant it that way. Because since when was one in the hand worth...?

Re: Pats release Greg Lewis, claim UDFA S Bret Lockett (Jets, Browns)

Cool! A chance for more people to b!tch about Belichick blowing a vital draft pick (in a crappy draft class)!

Like me? Then let's go...

Once again, I was right, and Bill - once again - was wrong.

First Alex Smith, now Greg Lewis: swindled for 2 potentially valuable 5th-round picks which could've been used to acquire actual talent at positions of real need. Instead, they were wasted on 2 dime-a-dozen JAGs who could've been signed for free, and for less, as soon as they cleared waivers after they would've been released by their former employers. I fear that the same fate may befall us with Derrick Burgess, too.

If Bill wanted another TE for TC, then he should've drafted Ben Patrick with one of his end-of-6th-round picks in the '07 draft, or signed somebody younger than the prehistoric Kyle Brady that same year. I mean, he already had Baker, Watson, Thomas & DeVree, so all he needed was one more body anyway; and what he needed then, as we all know now, was a blocking TE - not another pass-catcher.

As for Lewis, he would've been released by the Eagles as soon as its draft picks started signing and the TC roster became set at 80. People here in Philly were literally laughing at us for giving them anything at all for this slow, slight JAG.

Something is def. amiss in the Pats' pro personnel dept. Whether it's a brain drain that hasn't been replenished, or a lack of fresh input, or a surfeit of yes-men, Bill - and Bob & Jonathan - need to stop this bleeding of assets.

Silly shmessy, he couldn't have meant it that way. Because since when was one in the hand worth...?

Ouch, you got me there!!!!!!!

But I never said that I AGREED with it!!!! :D :D :D

Last edited:
Exactly! And it's been widely claimed that Moss has lost speed and is no longer the blazer he once was. These players need to be moved so that the team can contend for Super Bowls in the future. Sometimes we have to just forget instant gratification. Sure, Brady MIGHT help bring in several more Super Bowls, but the same could be said about Seymour, and the Patriots got rid of his ancient (29 years old) ass. I say ship out Mr. "I'm in my 30's and take pictures with goats" along with Mr. Straight Cash, and the draft picks the team gets for them will help them challenge for Super Bowls again in 2015.

Moss and Brady have made no noises whatsoever about leaving the team after next year.

Moss and Brady are irreplaceable and are, by far, the best personnel at their positions on the team.

Warren and Wilfork are each more important to the DL (at THIS time - not comparing to the 2001-2005 Seymour) on the DL than the 2009 Seymour in many people's opinions.

There is far greater depth on the DL than either at WR or at QB.

Once again, those are all clear reasons.

You're comparing Apples and Oranges, but I admire your persistence in beating the dead horse. You are definitely obsessed with that argument.

It's funny now to read again all of BB's comments about greg lewis and his talking to phl about him for the past 2-3 yrs and how he killed the pats etc etc.
It's really hard to understand sometimes. Never seen BB do this much jugglery.

And the moral of this story, boys & girls, is:
Never, ever, take Bill - or any coach or jock - at his word whenever he is speaking for public consumption.

Moss and Brady have made no noises whatsoever about leaving the team after next year.

Moss and Brady are irreplaceable and are, by far, the best personnel at their positions on the team.

Warren and Wilfork are each more important to the DL (at THIS time - not comparing to the 2001-2005 Seymour) on the DL than the 2009 Seymour in many people's opinions.

You're comparing Apples and Oranges, but I admire your persistence in beating the dead horse. You are definitely obsessed with that argument.

What would you say if BB traded Brady two years from now rather than handing him an Eli or Rivers type contract that would handcuff his approach to team building?

No, actually, I'm engaging in some fun banter with Absurdly Metro. I've already finished with the issue to my satisfaction.

But thanks for your misguided concern about a possible obsession, even if your comment about the apples and oranges was wrong.

What would you say if BB traded Brady two years from now rather than handing him an Eli or Rivers type contract that would handcuff his approach to team building?

No, that's different, you see, because he's not going to want more money than Richard.... err, he'll still be younger than Richard.... err

Well, it's just different!

Some people will hold onto a bad asset because they can't get the initial investment out of their head. They don't want to take a loss. Pioli was likely of that mindset; BB, on the other hand, is not afraid to know when to quit.

IMO, knowing when to quit is a hugely underrated skillset. Yes, it sucks that he made mistakes on some of these trades and picks, but it takes a true leader to candidly admit the mistake (ones, BTW, which every GM makes) and then swiftly move on, rather than holding on to a poor player that won't help your team simply because of the draft status/trade investment attached to him.

But what good is it when Bill continues to make the same mistake, over & over again?
I am reminded of the definition of insanity...

But what good is it when Bill continues to make the same mistake, over & over again?
I am reminded of the definition of insanity...

LOL! You need some more Kool-aid Captain... and quickly! :D

Then package the 5s and move up to the 4th round or something instead of trading them for known crappy players that you know wont make the team.

Eggs-actly, Batman.

No, that's different, you see, because he's not going to want more money than Richard.... err, he'll still be younger than Richard.... err

Well, it's just different!

Actually you inadvertently stumbled upon the truth.

His history with the Patriots show him to have been a team-player vis-a-vis his contracts - -the anti-Peyton Manning or Richard Seymour.

Of course he wants to get paid, but if you want to compare how he's comported himself regarding contracts, etc. to Richard Seymour, then we'll all have a good laugh.

But once again, this thread is about Lewis getting cut, not about Seymour. Please stop the hijacking - -I'll be happy to read your Seymour wisdom in the appropriate threads.

If (huge IF) Brady demanded a contract that kept the organization from being able to field a contending team, then BB would do what kraft has tasked him to do.

Just as he did with Bledsoe, Law, Milloy, Woody, etc.

I root for theNew England Patriots, not for the New England Brady's.

Now, back to the subject of the thread - - Lewis getting cut, which (from my admittedly far away vantage point) I do not agree with - - I thought he looked better (and is younger) than Galloway.

Last edited:
Talked to a Browns fan about Lockett:
Tackling was very good, but his coverage wasn't too hot.

Actually you inadvertently stumbled upon the truth.

His history with the Patriots show him to have been a team-player vis-a-vis his contracts - -the anti-Peyton Manning or Richard Seymour.

Of course he wants to get paid, but if you want to compare how he's comported himself regarding contracts, etc. to Richard Seymour, then we'll all have a good laugh.

But once again, this thread is about Lewis getting cut, not about Seymour. Please stop the hijacking - -I'll be happy to read your Seymour wisdom in the appropriate threads.

Ahh... the irony.

LOL! You need some more Kool-aid Captain... and quickly! :D

Indeed I do, but my supply began to mysteriously evaporate around the time of Monty Beisel, Chad Brown & Duane Starks, and has only intermittently been replenished by Wes Welker, Jerod Mayo & Darius Butler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back