PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats release Greg Lewis, claim UDFA S Bret Lockett (Browns)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im silly because I think its dumb to waste draft picks? If you say so >_>

Would you be more happy if they had used the 5th rd pick and drafted someone who also was cut?

Would you be more happy if they had used the 5th rd pick and drafted someone who also was cut?

I think he'd be more happy if the Patriots still had two the two draft picks they wasted on Alex Smith and Greg Lewis.

It's obviously not a big deal, but getting on someone for being disappointed in the above is silly.

I would. I'd rather see them miss on people who haven't already played on the NFL level than miss on people when they've already got the film on them. Wouldn't you?

I think he'd be more happy if the Patriots still had two the two draft picks they wasted on Alex Smith and Greg Lewis.

It's obviously not a big deal, but getting on someone for being disappointed in the above is silly.

I am on him not for this but for saying the Pats keep wasting picks!

I think its making way for the most obvious move(sarcasm)....
Matt Slater named backup QB
and Donald Trump signed as personal assistant to BB.
Piolo kept the mad genius in check, someone check his dosage!

I am on him not for this but for saying the Pats keep wasting picks!

Alex Smith and Greg Lewis did not work out, therefore the picks given up for them were wasted.

When you trade draft picks for players who were cut before the season even began, they are wasted. It happens.

Obviously the Patriots do A LOT more good than bad with draft picks, but there's no problem in recognizing these trades as (very small-scale) failures.

Or to put it another way -- they spent a 3rd, 5th, 7th & 7th on WRs this offseason. It netted them Galloway, Edelman, Nunn, and Tate. Seems like a reasonable return so far.

Nunn and Tate likely won't see the field. Edelman maybe not much. This group of WRs might very well have less than 30 catches this year; factoring in Lewis, I must say that is a low return for all the troubles.

There is no middle ground. sides are being taken. Choose carefully, Patchick. Choose carefully!

:)

Honestly, what is there but middle ground at this point? More than any year in memory, BB has stirred things up. At TE & WR, he threw a bunch of players at the wall -- holdovers, draft picks, UDFAs, trades and FAs -- and waited to see what stuck. Some of those efforts have turned out to be major stinkers, some pleasant surprises, and exactly one (Baker) looks to be exactly as advertised.

Here's the happy thing for me. For all of the hand-wringing over the bad trades for Lewis & Smith, here's the Patriots WR/TE lineup:

Moss, Welker, Galloway, Edelman, Aiken (Nunn, Tate)
Baker, Watson, Matthews

Doesn't that look damn good?

Ok Chicken littles listen up. The Pats have a 1st and 3 Seconds next year plus a fourth. And we are whining about a couple stupid picks? We are going to have a hell of a draft next year. Signing those first 4 picks was always going to be top priority, and a fifth rounder wouldnt have much chance to make the team next year anyways. So letsstop the hand wringing please

This group of WRs might very well have less than 30 catches this year

All the Pats' WRs besides Moss & Welker will total fewer receptions than Gaffney caught from Matt Cassel? I'll take that bet.

drinking the koolaid already?

WR
It is not yet clear that this group will be as good as 2007 and 2008. We still don't know whether we have ONE solid wide receiver between Galloway and Edelman. It certainly "looks" good as you say. We have a #1, #2 and #4 from last year. The question is whether Galloway or Edelman will step up and whether Tate can add anything for the second half.

TE
Here I agree 100%. These may not be the best total talent we've ever had, but it may be as effective a group of three that we've had in a long time. All three have their roles, and all three bring talent to the table.

:)

Honestly, what is there but middle ground at this point? More than any year in memory, BB has stirred things up. At TE & WR, he threw a bunch of players at the wall -- holdovers, draft picks, UDFAs, trades and FAs -- and waited to see what stuck. Some of those efforts have turned out to be major stinkers, some pleasant surprises, and exactly one (Baker) looks to be exactly as advertised.

Here's the happy thing for me. For all of the hand-wringing over the bad trades for Lewis & Smith, here's the Patriots WR/TE lineup:

Moss, Welker, Galloway, Edelman, Aiken (Nunn, Tate)
Baker, Watson, Matthews

Doesn't that look damn good?

Someone nudge BB and make sure he's aware that this isn't fantasy football.;)

Honestly, I expected it to be Galloway who would not make it and Lewis who would - - Lewis seemed to have a good rapport with Brady and looked good to me in the PS games. Galloway has shown neither (and he's 37).

I had him as my lowest rated receiver, behind Nunn, so this doesn't really surprise me. I was biased against him from the start and admitted it, but he'd done nothing to change my mind.

Last edited:
Honestly, I expected it to be Galloway who would not make it and Lewis who would - - Lewis seemed to have a good rapport with Brady and looked good to me in the PS games. Galloway has shown neither (and he's 37).

Its early days. Perhaps Galloway will be cut by Monday. Should we worry if he trades/cuts, Moss/Brady

Its early days. Perhaps Galloway will be cut by Monday. Should we worry if he trades/cuts, Moss/Brady

No, because they are both old, have been injured, and could be traded for future picks that would help the team in the long run.

No, because they are both old, have been injured, and could be traded for future picks that would help the team in the long run.

No way that works for me. I am getting old, a Superbowl this year is like 2 Superbowls 5 years from now :D Its the One in the hand vs. two in the bush thing :D

Last edited:
Doesn't cutting Lewis just as much mean that they got a hit on some of their low-round picks as a 'miss' on Lewis?

Everyone's spot on the depth chart is relative to the others at their position. For all we know, they got exactly what they figured they were getting w/ Lewis, but because Edelman's coming along so well (which they would be hoping for, but not banking on), they now have a better alternative.

Last edited:

Yes. Brady is constantly in the trainers room. The last three games he's played he's been injured in all of them. Shoulder vs. Redskins last week. Knee vs. Chiefs last September and Ankle vs. the NYG in the biggest Pats game ever. The guy's obviously on the downside (compared to the 2007 version) and going to be a recurring injury risk going forward. BB would not be doing his job if he isn't seriously looking to get what he can for this guy while he's still got some value. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes