PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats release Greg Lewis, claim UDFA S Bret Lockett (Browns)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a but worried that Pioli was a bit more important than we might have thought. That being said, I think Matt Jones would be great here.

Hmmm, I am starting to wonder if this is what a Pioli less Belichick team is going to behave like.

I think it's pretty clear ... with Pioli out of the way, no more "Mr. Nice Guy" from BB. :D The Dark Lord of the Sith has cut and traded this offseason with light-saber ruthlessness. No regrets. No remorse. No hesitation.

Next move, Wilfork for Marshall.

On a more serious note, I wonder whether cutting Greg Lewis says anything about Brandon Tate. The Pats chose to put Tate on PUP rather than IR, and if Tate were actually ready by week 7 then Lewis could well have been a casualty at that point anyways. It could be that BB was planning to keep Lewis until Tate came back, but that when an opportunity came to sign Lockett he jettisoned Lewis a bit early.

I'm surprised though that he didn't just put Matthew Slater on IR. Lockett sounds like he would be a major upgrade over Slater as a backup safety, and he was supposedly excellent on STs.

Careful now..... You'd better take another gulp before they come for you.

Hahaha, well......I did not mean my comment positively or negatively, so let them come.

Just observing this being BB's first year as a head coach without Pioli, and curious if this is the new method.

I think it's pretty clear ... with Pioli out of the way, no more "Mr. Nice Guy" from BB. :D The Dark Lord of the Sith has cut and traded this offseason with light-saber ruthlessness. No regrets. No remorse. No hesitation.

Because the Browns did not trust you, my young apprentice, I believe you are the only coach with knowledge of this plot. When the league learns what has transpired here, they will kill us, along with all the CBA. Every single coach, including your friend, Josh McDaniels, is now an enemy of the Patriots. We must move quickly. The league is relentless. If they are not all destroyed, it will be civil war without end. First, I want you to go to the Meadowlands. We will catch them off balance. Do what must be done, Lord Belichick. Do not hesitate, show no mercy!

Next move, Wilfork for Marshall.

I hope not - hope this is a joke. Why trade the defensive cornerstone of our franchise for a cancer? Short of Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson or Calvin Johnson I wouldn't even consider it.

BB completely wasting draft picks is getting annoying now

More annoying, less annoying, or the same as when he drafts a 5th-round bust?

Lewis probably comes back after week one. By getting cut now his salary isn't guaranteed for the season...

Hmmm, I am starting to wonder if this is what a Pioli less Belichick team is going to behave like.

9 rookies made the team and we have Oakland's first round draft pick. Less veterans, but I like where the team is going.

yea....TEN draft picks made the team this year.3 TWOS,next year.

JEEEEEZ......we're up to our ears in draft choices!

He has a bit of the old ADD - that's why they trade down so much..

how, spineful, decisive, ruthless, opportunistic?

None of the above. At least, none I would commit to just yet.

I guess it is all how a person would want to perceive it. Some could say, with merit, this looks helter skelter and uncertain. Others could say, with no less an argument, that this appears to be BB exercising his creative personnel acumen and sacrificing whatever when necessary.

As usual, time will tell.

Last edited:
I wish we could get videos like this of all draft prospects. There are two views of each highlight.

YouTube - Brett Lockett Hi-Light

Half the video is special teams coverage and this guy is leading the charge. So, is he a better, bigger version of Slater?

I'm a but worried that Pioli was a bit more important than we might have thought. That being said, I think Matt Jones would be great here.

I don't think that's the case. Rather, I believe it's a simple difference in business philosophy. Some people will hold onto a bad asset because they can't get the initial investment out of their head. They don't want to take a loss. Pioli was likely of that mindset; BB, on the other hand, is not afraid to know when to quit.

IMO, knowing when to quit is a hugely underrated skillset. Yes, it sucks that he made mistakes on some of these trades and picks, but it takes a true leader to candidly admit the mistake (ones, BTW, which every GM makes) and then swiftly move on, rather than holding on to a poor player that won't help your team simply because of the draft status/trade investment attached to him.

The move could be a shuffling of the roster with the Pats facing some injuries, and they also could have been motivated to not have to guarantee the contract as he's a vested veteran.

yea....TEN draft picks made the team this year.3 TWOS,next year.

JEEEEEZ......we're up to our ears in draft choices!
Then package the 5s and move up to the 4th round or something instead of trading them for known crappy players that you know wont make the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Back