PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats offering #23 & #47 to Jax @ #8 According to Peter King

I'll tell you - I'd be smiling from ear to ear if any of Raji, Maclin, Orakpo or Jenkins were still there. Tyson Jackson? Not so much.

agreed unless a player was involved as part of the deal.

#23 & #47 isnt nearly enough to get into the top 10 imo

Not necessarily. BB could view several guys worthy of being taken around 8 or 9, and may feel comfortable with whoever falls there.

Also, they'll still have #34 and the other late 2nd, so they could move up back into the end of the 1st round if they want (probably with a 3rd).

Hey, this may sound crazy, but... maybe they're after Maualuga?

I know everyone seems to think he might fall quite far, but remember how high the Pats drafted a guy (Mayo) who most thought would be there in the teens. Throughout this whole draft process I've kind of had the feeling that teams were talking down Maualuga in the hopes that he fell.

If not RM, then Jenkins, Curry, or one of the tackles seem like the possible targets. I'd love it if it were Curry.

You could trade up to #14 and get Rey. Better contract terms and still a 6 year deal. Rey isn't going in the top 13 and you have to think the Saints would love to trade back (lots of LB and CB options at #23 and S with an extra #2).

FWIW, I just e-mailed Mike Reiss.

His response:

"interesting thought. i haven't heard anything."

At #8 the Pats would be guaranteed to get one of the following: Aaron Curry, BJ Raji, Andre Smith, Tyson Jackson, or Malcolm Jenkins. They could potentially consider any of them worth the trade up.

At Bill Belichick's press conference last week he discussed the issue of pre-draft trades (trading picks in advance, without waiting to see if a particular player was available): "If you look at the number of pre-draft draft choice trades – not player for draft choice, but straight draft choice trades – you won’t find very many of them. Probably the last one would be when Jimmy Johnson and I made one in 1992 or 1993, a couple days before the draft. Teams don’t like to do it. I am personally comfortable doing it, but most teams don’t like to do it."

Bill Belichick pre-draft transcript - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com

I'm very encouraged by this report. It shows that the Pats are being aggressive. In a draft where everyone seems spooked about drafting in the top 10 and no one likes the talent, I think there are lots of opportunities. I'm a contrarian, and it's a buyer's market. If BB thinks that any of those guys is worth trading up for and taking in the top 10 then I'll all for it. He can use #34 on a 3-4 OLB conversion like Connor Barwin or Larry English, and 58 on a safety.

If 23 and 47 doesn't work, we'll add 124 or 89 until we get it done.

agreed unless a player was involved as part of the deal.

#23 & #47 isnt nearly enough to get into the top 10 imo

Would love to see BB use 23 & 47 to move up into the top 10.

Just make sure that 34 is kept for Peppers ;)

I'll tell you - I'd be smiling from ear to ear if any of Raji, Maclin, Orakpo or Jenkins were still there. Tyson Jackson? Not so much.

I'm not a Jackson fan either, but the bottom line to me is that if BB thinks any player is worth trading up for and taking in the top 10, then I'm all for it and I trust his judgment, whether it's Curry, Raji, Smith, Crabtree, Jackson or Jenkins.

I'm not a Jackson fan either, but the bottom line to me is that if BB thinks any player is worth trading up for and taking in the top 10, then I'm all for it and I trust his judgment, whether it's Curry, Raji, Smith, Crabtree, Jackson or Jenkins.

I'll bet a cupcake you'd be gritting your teeth if it were Orakpo. :)

Well, we think Rey won't go in the top 13. I'm just reaching. It seems like such an odd move for the Pats to make, unless they thought they had a great player filling a big need up there. And who might that be? Maualuga is one of the few guys I see filling a big need. Curry, but putting Curry in as a Mike seems odd. He's also not a 3-4 OLB. Maybe they're looking at Orakpo? The eighth pick is too high for one of the blue-chip tackles; they don't need a wideout or a quarterback; that really leaves a pass-rusher or an inside linebacker or a defensive back. Which means Orakpo, Curry, Maualuga or Jenkins. Maybe Maybin. Nobody else makes any sense. Would they really trade up for Oher? I don't see it.

I guess Tyson Jackson is also a possibility. Even that seems like a very odd pick to me, however.

Last edited:
It would be hard to see moving into the top 10 to pick Malcolm Jenkins. I like him a lot, but he is basically what you see. High floor- not too great a ceiling. Most DB's drafted in the top 10 have HoF athleticism, even if they never reach it.

Be nice if we could actually find the post that Peter King wrote that the WEEI guys were quoting from...I can't find it.

Be nice if we could actually find the post that Peter King wrote that the WEEI guys were quoting from...I can't find it.

Didn't they originally say that King "told" them and that their expectation is that it would be posted later in the day?

I don't see why people think getting Jackson would be bad/iffy. There is a lot of speculation that he is the top 3-4 DE prospect to come out since Seymour. If he is really that good, why not take him when every year Seymour or Warren miss a handful (if not more) games.

I think Jackson is the best five tech to come out in a few years. His motor is unquestioned, he plays with good technique, he has Seymour-like athleticism, and has the frame to put on another 10-20 pounds.

Just heard on eei about this and that Jacksonville turned them down. theyre supposidley looking at GB. BB did talk about moving up into the top ten. He said they have enough picks if they want.

Last edited:
Nightmare scenario: it's Robert Ayers.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back