PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats, Kraft, Goodell, & The Opt Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree. Revenues by teams will dictate who can pay and who can not.

Right. That's why I said ten other owners. 10 teams will have enough cash to buy up all the talent.

Not so. If there were no salary cap, I doubt both Brady and Moss would
simply go to the highest bidder.

Why?

Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see how we disagree.

Everything you mentioned is the result of their personal sacrifice and has NOTHING to do with salary cap. If Moss or Brady doesn't like what Pats offers, they can choose to leave the team to go to the highest payer. At this point, Pats either lets them go or places a tag on them.

BB was the one who told the owner to talk to Lakers' owner about salary cap because this guy knew it well.

Nothing to do with the salary cap?

Huh?

Does Brady or Moss sign an extension for $10 million if someone else is willing to pay them $20 million? Do you honestly believe that?

Also, you disagree that Brady takes less money so that the Patriots can field a more competitive team under the salary cap? If there's no cap, then what's the point of Brady sacrificing anything? To make Bob Billionaire Kraft a richer man? That really doesn't make any sense.

People take less money to play in New England largely because the league's pay structure precludes teams from buying up the league, and players realize that the less money they take, the more money is available for other players that will help them win.

How can you disagree with this?

As long as Pats is winning, we, fans, will give Kraft the money.

Couple of thoughts.

Seems like their should be a linkage between the salary cap and the player/owner split. Don't think there is now but it seems like that if there were such a linkage, other factors which affect revenues would not cause/create disparities.

The other thought is that it would seem that roster size should also be part of the equation. Does the player's union want their split for more(or fewer) players? For instance, with IR the only option for half season ending injuries in order to bring on a replacement, there is a crying need for a larger roster in order to accommodate a large number of injured players.

I doubt if these factors are considered by the owners/players union but thought it worth while to bring up anyway.

Nothing to do with the salary cap?

Huh?

Does Brady or Moss sign an extension for $10 million if someone else is willing to pay them $20 million? Do you honestly believe that?

I think that you are confused. Let me clear your confusion by asking you 1 simple question.

If Brady or Moss is ONLY interested in money, do you honestly believe that they will accept 10 mil instead of 20 mil from somebody else.?

Samule accepted 50 mil from Eagles because he didn't like what Pats offered even though he liked to be with Pats team. It's self-explanatory.

Also, you disagree that Brady takes less money so that the Patriots can field a more competitive team under the salary cap? If there's no cap, then what's the point of Brady sacrificing anything?

You are right. If there is no cap, Brady will not sacrify anything and Pats will retain their top players when Kraft is making a lot of money every year. We are going to have more than 3 SB rings.

As you can see, salary cap really hurts pats because it stops pats from dominating the NFL for 1 year after another.

People take less money to play in New England largely because the league's pay structure precludes teams from buying up the league, and players realize that the less money they take, the more money is available for other players that will help them win.

Some players come to NE because they want to be in a winning team. If you are productive, your value will go up the next year. Welker and Brady joined NE when they were not known. Welker's value is not going to be 999999 dollars after seeing his performance in 07.

Last edited:
I think that you are confused. Let me clear your confusion by asking you 1 simple question.

If Brady or Moss is ONLY interested in money, do you honestly believe that they will accept 10 mil instead of 20 mil from somebody else.?

Samule accepted 50 mil from Eagles because he didn't like what Pats offered even though he liked to be with Pats team. It's self-explanatory.

And the Pats did not want to pay him that money because it would screw
up the cap. Without the cap that problem would not exist.

You are right. If there is no cap, Brady will not sacrify anything and Pats will retain their top players when Kraft is making a lot of money every year. We are going to have more than 3 SB rings.

The Pats make money and will be more than capable of competing with any
other owners for Brady's services.

As you can see, salary cap really hurts pats because it stops pats from dominating the NFL for 1 year after another.

I fail to see your argument.

Some players come to NE because they want to be in a winning team. If you are productive, your value will go up the next year. Welker and Brady joined NE when they were not known. Welker's value is not going to be 999999 dollars after seeing his performance in 07.

Without a cap the Pats will be able to afford him. With a cap, probably not.
You tell me if the cap is helping or hurting the Pats again...

Without a cap the Pats will be able to afford him. With a cap, probably not.
You tell me if the cap is helping or hurting the Pats again...

The cap definitely hurts Pats because they will loose their good players who decide not to stay because of a bad deal. At this point, Pats has to find some new or 'cheap' players to fill the position.

Cap or no cap...it does not matter for the New England Patriots.

The deck is stacked on our favor.

We are a large market team and our revenue stream will enable us to compete with our without the current cap, soft cap or hard cap...it simply does not matter.

We have one of if not the best owner.

We have one of if not the best coach & coaching staff.

We have one of if not the best NFL executives in Scott Pioli.

Whatever the future holds - New England is set to compete in any arena.

Oh and by the way....at present and for the forseeable future, we also have the best QB and talent laden team I have ever seen!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News