PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats @ Eagles Superbowl X's & O's ONLY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder how much this will be affected by Gronks status. Yes, he most likely will be cleared in time but the staff still needs to have contingencies in place.

Putting on my tinfoil hat I actually wonder if BB had Gronk join the folks to watch the walkthrough after the media had to leave. If he doesnt actively participate it should be all fine and he doesn't miss too much info this way.

I would think Gronk still must be able to attend meetings, study film etc. right? That way he can still study/cram plays even if hes not allowed on the field yet.

But honestly, he had a 100 passer rating in the Atlanta game and followed that up with a 140+ game the following week.

Foles was only over 100 against Atlanta because a DB literally kicked away an easy interception.

Why are Bacon's posts deleted?

Foles was only over 100 against Atlanta because a DB literally kicked away an easy interception.

My guess: There were originally 2 threads that the mods wound up merging. Bacon mentioned preferring his analysis to be isolated in a unique thread. Since that's no longer the case, he took his posts down.

and even in that game, Foles had no TD's and lead the team to 15-pts. if Matt Ryan didnt Cr@p his pants or run a bootleg on 4th down maybe they win that game.

how next sundays game goes, really depends on which nick foles shows up IMO. Is it the guy who has the worst QBR against pressure of 7.6 this year or is it the guy who was near perfect against minnesota.

One thing is for sure, bill cant let him get too comfortable. they need to bring the pressure on him and make him have to make quick decisions. He is no threat to run like Bortles was

My guess: There were originally 2 threads that the mods wound up merging. Bacon mentioned preferring his analysis to be isolated in a unique thread. Since that's no longer the case, he took his posts down.

I saw that, but thought he was ok with the merge. @BaconGrundleCandy I hope you post your stuff elsewhere! :)

and how many super bowls does mike lombardi have?

So you have one of the best national analysts giving you actual football reasons for why the Eagles might be a bad matchup and all you can throw back is something about superbowls ?

Why are so many homers allergic to football conversations ?

Yeah, but that can happen in every game. My only point is that you can't bet on Foles to have a bust of a game. He played well in the Atlanta game and really well in the Vikings game. I would expect him to play well in the SB.

On offense I expect us to run a heavy dose of rub routes:

Wow. That was an amazing break down. Thanks for that.

the super bowl last year even though we won, got off to a horrible start. I'm hoping the offense goes fast in the first quarter and the first half. I honestly would be more concerned if the qb was carson wentz. There's attributes about wentz that are just not defendable but Foles does not scare me as much. We have to remember, they are starting their backup qb. Cant allow the secondary to get beat on those RPO's or give Foles free reign similar to how Bortles was in the first half. Also need to do a better job on third and longs because Bortles kept hitting those underneath routes on 3rd and 7 or 8 and kept converting and it was frustrating. Hopefully the defense can learn from that and do a good job of getting off the field on 3rd

Now that I've had time to really look into the Eagles here is how I think they should be attacked.

The Eagles are a very good and deep team. But I think we have talked WAY too much about that depth. In the end it is the top players that have brought the Eagles to where they are and they have some good ones.

Patriots offense vs Eagles defense.

The key players here are DT/DE Cox, DE Graham, LB Kendricks, CB Peterson and SS Jenkins. They have a lot of other good players but if you want to bear this defense these are the guys you need to talk about first. The most important to talk about by far IMO are Cox and Graham

Everything the Eagles do well on defense really starts on the DL. They have a very good and deep rotation with guys like Jernigan, Long and Curry who they play a lot but in the end it is Cox and Fletcher who create most of the issues on the DL and are on the field nearly every play. Graham is one of the best run stopping DEs in the NFL and a big reason why there run D is so stout. To run against this front is usually a waste of time.

The key is to pass, pass pass with the occasional run just to keep your play action effective. Some people have said "but they have such a deep rotation that running 90 plays on offense won't work." BS! I don't care if we don't tire out Jernigan, Long and Curry or Barnett. They are good players but they are unlikely to be the reason the Patriots lose. We need to focus on tiring out Graham and Cox. If it gets to the 4th and they are gassed suddenly this fearsome front becomes fairly average or perhaps even below. Everything they do well on the front really starts with these players and we should do everything we can to either get them off the field to catch their breath and make them a step slower.

Kendricks is the key to their LBs. Interestingly enough even being their best LB he isn't on the feild as much as you think. He averages about 60% of the snaps a game even though he is the most athletic of the bunch. Probably cause he is a fairly small LB at 235 and don't want him in for certain downs. It is in fact Bradham who is on the field all the time but he is a tackler and not really a player maker. A solid guy but not one who kills you. When Kendrick is on the field I look to either get the play away from his speed or see if you can get him on a slot WR (we will lose that match). If possible get a screen pass and let Allen push him over. He has a lot of speed and makes a lot of players but he is a guy you can play around and have to try to. If you let him play his game he is hard to beat and if he is off the field that i a sign to go full hurry up and keep him off. Penalize them for not having him in there all the time.

When it comes to the DBs their top CBs are Mills and Darby. Mills is having a good playoffs after a bit of a down year and Darby has been fairly solid. The star of this group has been Peterson who does well in his role. He perhaps is the most talent of the bunch and most likely to make the big play (we saw that pick 6 against the Vikings)

In man Peterson to me has been the most consistently dangerous of the bunch but he is just as good in zone and isn't afraid to take smart risk. For my money I say attack Mills with Cooks. All 3 CB though their skill sets are different are all about the same size and weight. I think it be interesting to see who matches up with who the best.

Jenkins has been one of the best SS in the league for years but not so much this year or really last year as much either. He really is starting to look older. I think he is a guy who you can look to attack who has lost a step but if the play is in front of him he can make things happen. You get him running backwards or chasing and he is unlikely to make the player. Their FS is the key weak spot to attack. They are not a great coverage tandem imo but are better against the run.

I say play fast and aggressive. Spread the ball out and see how they deal with Gronk and Cooks. This is a team you need to challenge deep and in man on occasion if the safeties mess up but generally keep it short most of the time. I think comeback routes will be very effective here. As a video i saw can say better than I rub routes are a big weakness. These guys want to play in zone and going in a straight line. Dump offs to RBs particularly away from Kendrick or when he isn't on the field will be hard for them to deal with. Jenkins is still very good with those but you can get some good yards there but they do sniff it out fairly too.

Andrews has had a great playoffs and season really. This will be his hardest test yet. Graham to me is the single biggest issue particularly if he lines up against Flemming.

Mills is having a good playoff run so test him and see how he is playing that day. If Jenkins is one on one with Gronk toss it up. Just like you would anyone else. This 30 year old Jenkins can't handle Gronk and even at 25 it be hard.

Now that I've had time to really look into the Eagles here is how I think they should be attacked.

The Eagles are a very good and deep team. But I think we have talked WAY too much about that depth. In the end it is the top players that have brought the Eagles to where they are and they have some good ones.

The key players here are DT/DE Cox, DE Graham, LB Kendricks, CB Peterson and SS Jenkins. They have a lot of other good players but if you want to bear this defense these are the guys you need to talk about first. The most important to talk about by far IMO are Cox and Graham

Everything the Eagles do well on defense really starts on the DL. They have a very good and deep rotation with guys like Jernigan, Long and Curry who they play a lot but in the end it is Cox and Fletcher who create most of the issues on the DL and are on the field nearly every play. Graham is one of the best run stopping DEs in the NFL and a big reason why there run D is so stout. To run against this front is usually a waste of time.

The key is to pass, pass pass with the occasional run just to keep your play action effective. Some people have said "but they have such a deep rotation that running 90 plays on offense won't work." BS! I don't care if we don't tire out Jernigan, Long and Curry or Barnett. They are good players but they are unlikely to be the reason the Patriots lose. We need to focus on tiring out Graham and Cox. If it gets to the 4th and they are gassed suddenly this fearsome front becomes fairly average or perhaps even below. Everything they do well on the front really starts with these players and we should do everything we can to either get them off the field to catch their breath and make them a step slower.

Kendricks is the key to their LBs. Interestingly enough even being their best LB he isn't on the feild as much as you think. He averages about 60% of the snaps a game even though he is the most athletic of the bunch. Probably cause he is a fairly small LB at 235 and don't want him in for certain downs. It is in fact Bradham who is on the field all the time but he is a tackler and not really a player maker. A solid guy but not one who kills you. When Kendrick is on the field I look to either get the play away from his speed or see if you can get him on a slot WR (we will lose that match). If possible get a screen pass and let Allen push him over. He has a lot of speed and makes a lot of players but he is a guy you can play around and have to try to. If you let him play his game he is hard to beat and if he is off the field that i a sign to go full hurry up and keep him off. Penalize them for not having him in there all the time.

When it comes to the DBs their top CBs are Mills and Darby. Mills is having a good playoffs after a bit of a down year and Darby has been fairly solid. The star of this group has been Peterson who does well in his role. He perhaps is the most talent of the bunch and most likely to make the big play (we saw that pick 6 against the Vikings)

In man Peterson to me has been the most consistently dangerous of the bunch but he is just as good in zone and isn't afraid to take smart risk. For my money I say attack Mills with Cooks. All 3 CB though their skill sets are different are all about the same size and weight. I think it be interesting to see who matches up with who the best.

Jenkins has been one of the best SS in the league for years but not so much this year or really last year as much either. He really is starting to look older. I think he is a guy who you can look to attack who has lost a step but if the play is in front of him he can make things happen. You get him running backwards or chasing and he is unlikely to make the player. Their FS is the key weak spot to attack. They are not a great coverage tandem imo but are better against the run.

I say play fast and aggressive. Spread the ball out and see how they deal with Gronk and Cooks. This is a team you need to challenge deep and in man on occasion if the safeties mess up but generally keep it short most of the time. I think comeback routes will be very effective here. As a video i saw can say better than I rub routes are a big weakness. These guys want to play in zone and going in a straight line. Dump offs to RBs particularly away from Kendrick or when he isn't on the field will be hard for them to deal with. Jenkins is still very good with those but you can get some good yards there but they do sniff it out fairly too.

Andrews has had a great playoffs and season really. This will be his hardest test yet. Graham to me is the single biggest issue particularly if he lines up against Flemming.

Mills is having a good playoff run so test him and see how he is playing that day. If Jenkins is one on one with Gronk toss it up. Just like you would anyone else. This 30 year old Jenkins can't handle Gronk and even at 25 it be hard.
They may have a deep front but they arent Justin Tuck and Jason pierre paul

Winner rating is for the excellent write up. Thanks. Enjoyed reading that.

Good writeup, Bob.

As far as the D, Schwartz is the general who likes to throw all his firepower up front and leave little for the backfield- he likes to run a wide nine attack front where you have DE's come screaming off the far edges and interior linemen engage in stunts and twists. All of this as you correctly stated, puts a lot of stress on the backfield which is left in a simple cover 1 or 3 coverage as compensation for putting everything up front.

Schwartz did the same thing in Detroit and Buffalo, so he's ideologically fixed and likely not going to do anything different for the superbowl. What we've done in the past, in Detroit and Buffalo is just to avoid the DL as much as possible, and I expect us to copy from those game plans.

The weaknesses to his wide 9 philosophy are runs up the middle (expect a good dose of Lewis draws) undue pressure on the LB corp to both stop the run and play zone, especially when they drop into a deep zone to spy the crosses (look for us to run option routes with one or more RBs).

We really need Gronk to play, in order to create mismatches on a consistent basis. But more importantly, he'll likely draw Jenkins in coverage. Jenkins is the reason why Eagles can shift between a cover 1 and 3- he's a hybrid safety/LB. But if he's stuck on Gronk, the Eagles won't be able to shift coverages.

On paper, this is a win, but it all comes down to execution. It's all about the battle up front. If we win on the LOS, we win the game.

this article from jeff howe pretty much mirrors your analysis. their defense is built from the front 4. and have a pretty average secondary.

Sounds like if Brady can have a clean pocket/get the ball out quick they should have some matchup advantages. What seemed to bother the pats against the jaguars wasnt just the pressure, but the outstanding secondary and the fact that the linebackers were so quick they bottled up the short passes to lewis/white.

One of bradys sacks in the jaguars game I remember him having quite abit of time in the pocket and just no one being open.

this article from jeff howe pretty much mirrors your analysis. their defense is built from the front 4. and have a pretty average secondary.

Sounds like if Brady can have a clean pocket/get the ball out quick they should have some matchup advantages. What seemed to bother the pats against the jaguars wasnt just the pressure, but the outstanding secondary and the fact that the linebackers were so quick they bottled up the short passes to lewis/white.

One of bradys sacks in the jaguars game I remember him having quite abit of time in the pocket and just no one being open.

Is it me or is the eagles defensive line overrated? They have 4 sacks in the playoffs and were ranked 15th in the league in sacks during the regular season. I’m not saying they are bad, but I think NE has faced better defensive fronts before. Jacksonville had more sacks, INTs and forced fumbles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back