PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats vs. Rams Superbowl pre-game analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve been (pleasantly) surprised at how aggressive the DL/LBs have been, especially late in the season. It makes for a more interesting game. I think the secondary has been fantastic and that they don’t get enough credit for the increased aggression up front.

With Goff struggling when pressured, Kupp gone, and an aggressive NE front 7, I hope the Patriots bring the heat.

My eye test absolutely agrees with this. I'm not sure about the sample size, though. Is 48 attempts under pressure without Kupp enough to draw this conclusion, statistically speaking?

Regards,
Chris

Late breaking information! THIS just in....

51398361_1027604110761789_8203598633002598400_n.jpg

just imagine the NFL films video that would come out if we do win.

I’ve been (pleasantly) surprised at how aggressive the DL/LBs have been, especially late in the season. It makes for a more interesting game. I think the secondary has been fantastic and that they don’t get enough credit for the increased aggression up front.

With Goff struggling when pressured, Kupp gone, and an aggressive NE front 7, I hope the Patriots bring the heat.

I think this is exactly what we are going to see.

Watched a lot of Goff/Rams film over the last week.

I really feel like this is a game for the Pats to lose.. But they won't.

Basically I expect Brady to handle the defensive pressure much better than Goff. And I think it's as simple as that.

Goff has turned the ball over numerous times throughout the season while under pressure. Although he shows promise as a young QB he also shows his panicking young QB side far too often. Which means I think we'll see either an int, strip sack or 3 and outs because of Goff's lack of experience.

Amoeba defense will earn it's place in SB history. haha

The Rams have survived games with their quick strike offense during the season but the Pats secondary is just too good to allow that to happen.

I see a Patriot's blowout coming up. 14+ point victory.

I’ve seen somewhere that McVay basically gives Goff the coverage and where he should be looking to throw if it’s man or zone up until the 15 seconds, do we think the patriots will just be in a standard package up until 15 seconds then call the real defense? I know Ray Lewis said that’s what he use to do whenever he faced Peyton and Brady?

• Agree
Reactions: jah
I’ve seen somewhere that McVay basically gives Goff the coverage and where he should be looking to throw if it’s man or zone up until the 15 seconds, do we think the patriots will just be in a standard package up until 15 seconds then call the real defense? I know Ray Lewis said that’s what he use to do whenever he faced Peyton and Brady?

I’m sure no team has thought of doing that.

Watched a lot of Goff/Rams film over the last week.

I really feel like this is a game for the Pats to lose.. But they won't.

Basically I expect Brady to handle the defensive pressure much better than Goff. And I think it's as simple as that.

Goff has turned the ball over numerous times throughout the season while under pressure. Although he shows promise as a young QB he also shows his panicking young QB side far too often. Which means I think we'll see either an int, strip sack or 3 and outs because of Goff's lack of experience.

Amoeba defense will earn it's place in SB history. haha

The Rams have survived games with their quick strike offense during the season but the Pats secondary is just too good to allow that to happen.

I see a Patriot's blowout coming up. 14+ point victory.
I will be so ticked off if the Pats can't stop Gurley and Claim Jumper and force the game into Rex Goffman's hands.

Regards,
Chris

8 of them were Michel in his first 4 games

3 happened at the end of the game against Tennessee when the game was already decided

2 of them were Michel in the last game of the regular season when the Pats were 38-3

1 of them was White in the end of season Bills game up 21-6

By RB

Michel - 12

Burkhead - 3

White - 2

Barner - 2

Now that's strictly RB.

Patterson had 3. 2 in the game in Buffalo and 1 at the end of the Titans game

and on WR end arounds they only lost yardage on 1, Dorsett in the Bills game.

So in all 23

and in the 2 games in the post-season they've only had 2. Michel's first 2 rushes against SD on the opening drive.

I don't have too much of a worry about our defense doing well against the Rams offense. My concern is the run game - Rams weren't so great during the regular season but they stopped Ezekiel Elliot with Dallas and contained the Saints with 48 yards rushing. They seem to be coming on at the right time, - Were the offensive lines just not up to it on those games are is there real cause for concern here?

BTW - I live in LA and there seems to be just as much excitement for the Pats as there is for the Rams

I don't have too much of a worry about our defense doing well against the Rams offense. My concern is the run game - Rams weren't so great during the regular season but they stopped Ezekiel Elliot with Dallas and contained the Saints with 48 yards rushing. They seem to be coming on at the right time, - Were the offensive lines just not up to it on those games are is there real cause for concern here?

BTW - I live in LA and there seems to be just as much excitement for the Pats as there is for the Rams

Cowboys game it was 20-7 at HT and 30-15 mid-way through the 4th quarter. I'd imagine they stacked the box and sold out to stop Elliot in the 2nd half and put it on Prescott to beat them.

Saints just didn't really commit, neither Ingram or Kamara had more than 9 carries. In fact down the stretch Saints struggled to run the ball

vs the Cowboys - 19 rushes 64 yards 3.4 ypc
vs the Bucs - 30 rushes 100 yards 3.3 ypc
vs the Steelers - 19 rushes 57 yards 3.0 ypc

Really since that Cowboys game the Saints on offense just weren't the Saints. If it wasn't for Jeffrey having a ball bounce off his hands they were gonna be one-and-done.

In their last 5 games before the NFCC they averaged 19.6 points and the only games during that stretch that they scored more than 20 was against the Bucs (28) and Steelers (31) and they kind of stuggled in both for much of the game

Against the Bucs, the Bucs had a 14-11 lead going into the 4th quarter and Saints had their first lead of the game 5 minutes into the 4th.

Their first 6 drives of the game

25 yards- PUNT
4 yards- PUNT
52 yards- FG
17 yards- INT
1 yards- FUMBLE
9 yards- PUNT

at that point it was 14-3 Tampa then Saints blocked a punt that put them on the TB 30
30 yards- TD
next drive they were at the 50 after a punt
50 yards TD
next drive they start at midfield again
53 yards TD
another forced put
41 yards FG

NO offense was basically bailed out by defense and ST teams in that one

As for the Steelers game they got bailed out by the Steelers being idiots
Up 28-24
Steelers fumble at the NO 34 in the 4th quarter
Still up 28-24
Steelers get stopped on a fake punt, which set the Saints up at the PIT 45, they score
down 28-31 with the chance to tie or even win
Steelers fumble at the NO 42

Last edited:

IMHO this stat alone, makes this the best OL Brady’s had in his career. INT pressure is his weakness. 3 all year?!? Other NE OLs definitely had better individual players (Light, Mankins, Waters, Neal etc) but as an entire unit; I’d take this OL.

I'm more concerned about pressure stats from an interior rush than sacks numbers, but a low number of sacks is indeed nice.

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results