PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats draft QB Jimmy Garropolo from Eastern Illinois in the 2nd round

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you use a second round pick so you can get a fourth round pick by trading the back up QB you took in the third round?

Yeah, that makes sense to me now, NOT

Spin this however you want, it is an absolute waste! He might as well redrafted Chad Jackson

so there was no value in having mallet as a quality backup all this time simply because they didn't need him?

you really think evaluating a draft while it is ongoing makes sense????

I am fine with that too, as I have said I like JG, I just would have rather had Marcus Martin, CJF, Scott Crichton, Kareem Martin, or another player that could have helped us win in 2014.

We got one...a 280lb DT with bad knees. Problems solved.

We have a backup QB in Ryan Mallett for 2014, and Hoyer and Cassel are both UFAs after this season so we could have signed one of them to bridge the gap in 2015. You can sit here and argue the pick being a good pick all you want but suggesting it filled an essential need and had to happen is not logical.

(A) Cassel is signed through 2015. He might get cut after this season, but there's no guarantee he'll be available.
(B) Moreover, how do you know either of them would be willing to come in and back up Brady again?

Is the plan to have Houston trade for Jimmy since they didnt want Mallet?

As I mentioned elsewhere, the only way that can plausibly happen is Garoppolo for CJF, or maybe a fourth-rounder the Texans pick. The rookie salary cap rules state that because the Pats signed Garoppolo, they get his allotment. If the Texans traded a pick for Garoppolo, they'd have to find a way to fit his rookie salary into their rookie pool without getting the space to do so. In other words, they'd probably have to cut some of their late draft picks to have any hope of making it work. [This is why I was shocked when Al Davis was allegedly demanding Vollmer—a just-drafted second-rounder—as part of the trade for Derrick Burgess.]

I didn't like the pick either, but to state that if anyone disagrees they don't know college football is asinine. To then follow that up by saying that youtube highlights are enough to properly analyze a draft pick enters the realm of hypocrisy. You're usually a much better poster than this.
It's not asinine at all considering anybody that follows college football had a head start in watching Garoppolo since he was considered a future pro pretty much from the start of last season. I don't mind Garoppolo himself, but I don't think he's the right quarterback for this system. Further, the team had a lot more needs to fill than a back-up quarterback. Hell, I posted a thread last month inquiring about Bridgewater and most posters didn't object to Bridgewater himself, but to the notion of taking a quarterback high. Now a lot of people on this forum are suddenly okay with that? THAT'S asinine. So far, the Pats are managing to somewhat blow a deep draft.

What kept us out of the SB last year though?

Tight end play
Wide receiver play
Offensive center play
Right guard play
Secondary play

I did those in no particular order, but we need to address those issues, particularly the offensive line. We play 8 games a year against the Jets, Dolphins, and Bills who have Wilkerson/Richardson, Williams/Dareus, and Starks/Odrick.

Gronk coming back

The rookies wr last year pls Lafell are an upgrade.

Vollmer coming back, we can move Cannon to RG.

We signed Revis and Browner.

Our team before this draft was already 10x better then the team that left the field in Denver AFC championship game.

Is the draft over already?? No more moves to be made? Wow, that was quick!

Good strategy. Use the later rounds to improve your team while not using the first three to immediately upgrade your team at all.

Through three rounds, has any other team in the league improved as little as we have? The draft is supposed to be, at best, a 50/50 crap shoot, but we found away to lessen those odds.

"That guy" is a good fit here, we will see if he can play the position...

Helps remind me how much I do not like Gruden..

What kept us out of the SB last year though?

Tight end play
Wide receiver play
Offensive center play
Right guard play
Secondary play

I did those in no particular order, but we need to address those issues, particularly the offensive line. We play 8 games a year against the Jets, Dolphins, and Bills who have Wilkerson/Richardson, Williams/Dareus, and Starks/Odrick.

TE play: gronk back......harrison with an impact? keller signing? there really wasn't a TE after Ebron that was really going to make an impact.....my gut is keller signs, they simply waited to make sure someone didn't drop into their laps.....they'll probably add depth here today, but who knows

WR play - another year of experience for the young WR's tends to be huge.....so is a healthy group.....healthy amendola, edelman, lafell - dobson, boyce, thompkins all with that all important year under their belts....their draft spots weren't really going to offer a real upgrade here

interior OL depth/upgrade - you've gotta figure this is coming today

secondary - yeah, that's been addressed

I watch more CFB then NFL. This QB class is awful in general. And anyone who watches CFB knows this. You can't do much worse then who we got.

How does a Mel Kiper wanabee basement TV couch potato know so much more than NEP professional scouts with a proven track record?

There aren't nearly as many obvious, glaring weaknesses as we seem to think, and the choice of Garappolo was too good to pass up. The backup/potential future QB position is extremely important. It's not just all about "2014."

I trust and defend BB's drafting more than just about anyone on this board, but even he leaves me with some real head-scratchers. I wouldn't say a guy from a small school that didn't win a lot and doesn't have a big arm is someone we normally characterize as "too good to pass up."

So your knowledge of college football tells you Garoppolo is a decent QB? It is his fit with the Pats system and their needs that you have issue with. That would mean that if people disagree with you about the Pat's needs and who fits in their system that they don't know college football? Your emotions are getting the better of you, and your attempts at justification are exposing your flaws in logic.

Ironically, I agree that they had much more pressing needs to fill. It is your tone towards those who disagree with your opinion that I was calling out.

Never heard of this guy and kinda disappointed BB didn't address an immediate need. This guy sounds like he should've been part of the Brady 6.
Garoppolo is actually a decent quarterback, but he's not a fit for this system IMO. He's the kind of guy you want running the West Coast offense. In college, he got by on pure athleticism on top of shoddy competition a lot of the time. A lot of his throws when rolling out where across his body and could lead to a good amount of picks in the pro's. He may, and hopefully will, buck that trend with good coaching at the professional level. I just don't see the pick. Too many needs in other areas. We have an injury prone TE, an interior OL that has a world of trouble protecting an immobile elite pocket passer, two over 30 run-stuffing DT's coming off of serious injuries, a need at SS, and a need at WR.

Honestly I just do not like to think about life without Tom Brady so that is why this pick bothers me...:(

Now I agree with this. The man crush I have on Brady is borderline homosexual/creepy.

Gronk coming back

Off a catastrophic knee injury, after suffering an infection in his arm, after breaking his arm, after hurting his ankle, after being injured throughout college.

Two of the rookies showed nothing last year. The other is in a walking boot. Lafell is a JAG. Hope you like slow slot WRs.

Once again a player coming off a serious injury after having a college career that included whispers of serious back problems. We must like players with that issue. Yes we can move Cannon to RG - who cares?

No problems here, other than we most likely only have Revis for one season. You would think you'd go all out in a "deep" draft since that is the case. We took a pass for three rounds.

Our team before this draft was already 10x better then the team that left the field in Denver AFC championship game.

Our corners were better. Our offense was, and is, not.

I'm gonna say this. The Pats, in this draft DID address their 2 biggest needs. They got younger at the 2 positions in the depth chart that they were oldest at.

There have been hundreds of posts on this website that missed this essential point until now. Gambling that relatively young players will recover from injuries makes more sense than gambling that the older guys will.

Off a catastrophic knee injury, after suffering an infection in his arm, after breaking his arm, after hurting his ankle, after being injured throughout college.

Two of the rookies showed nothing last year. The other is in a walking boot. Lafell is a JAG. Hope you like slow slot WRs.

Once again a player coming off a serious injury after having a college career that included whispers of serious back problems. We must like players with that issue. Yes we can move Cannon to RG - who cares?

No problems here, other than we most likely only have Revis for one season. You would think you'd go all out in a "deep" draft since that is the case. We took a pass for three rounds.

Our corners were better. Our offense was, and is, not.

So who with our second round pick in this draft could have immediately upgraded any of those positions?

TE play: gronk back......harrison with an impact? keller signing? there really wasn't a TE after Ebron that was really going to make an impact.....my gut is keller signs, they simply waited to make sure someone didn't drop into their laps.....they'll probably add depth here today, but who knows

WR play - another year of experience for the young WR's tends to be huge.....so is a healthy group.....healthy amendola, edelman, lafell - dobson, boyce, thompkins all with that all important year under their belts....their draft spots weren't really going to offer a real upgrade here

interior OL depth/upgrade - you've gotta figure this is coming today

secondary - yeah, that's been addressed

· I am never putting my confidence in Danny Amendola when it comes to staying healthy.
· Gronkowski may not be ready for the start of the season and has had durability concerns in the past.
· We do not know what the rookie WRs from last season will bring, that is a wildcard.

And Elway's Broncos lost the SB 43-8. I'm not interesting in copying their model.

You need to actually get to the Superbowl before you can win it.

Also, did they lose because of Elway's betting the success on Peyton or in spite of it?

Gronk coming back

What you say makes sense in a perfect world, but the NFL is not a perfect world, far from it. Solder has three concussions last season, and Vollmer is coming of a broken leg and has a history of injuries, can we really move Cannon to RG and not have a solid backup at the swing tackle?

I agree the team is certainly better, I just would have preferred we held off on picking a QB.

FWIW - On June 2, 2015 Tom Brady's cap hits get to the point where he is tradeable. Right now, his 2015 cap hit is 13m, his 2016 cap hit is 14M for a total of $27M. If traded on 6/2/2015 his 2015 cap hit goes to 7M and his 2016 cap goes to 12M for a total of 19M (a savings of 8M). The Pats would also save 15M on the 2017 cap.

Not suggesting that it is the plan. Just providing information.
Calling it right now, Brady and Garroppolo for Houston's next 26 1st round picks. Mallett re-signed and then traded for Manziel and 2 1st round picks. All makes sense now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back