PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats draft QB Jimmy Garropolo from Eastern Illinois in the 2nd round

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to post a lot here, but posters here won't even consider the possibility that of looking at the FO with some objectivity. Its all Pom Poms, candy canes, and unicorns.
The are definitely plenty of homers, but there's also a huge crowd of haters here as well as some thoughtful posters who take a more balanced approach. Considering this is a FAN message board, it's got an aweful lot of negativity. I think it says a lot about somebody if they view this place as all "poms poms and unicorns".

Last edited:
I wasn't trying to claim that the Patriots don't feel Mallett could eventually replace Brady, merely that he probably won't, simply because he'll have a better chance of winning a starting job almost anywhere else. It's hard to envision how the front office could ever craft a deal acceptable to both sides.

I do think we disagree then. I don't think BB would have used a second rounder on Garoppolo if he thought that Mallett "could eventually replace Brady." As for his chances of "winning a starting job almost anywhere else," since Mallett's play has been limited to a couple of unremarkable pre-season series, I can only say that your guess is as good as mine. I have no idea whether that is (or is not!) the case and I doubt anyone does.

Nobody taken at the end of the second round was going to help the Patriots win now.

I do think we disagree then. I don't think BB would have used a second rounder on Garoppolo if he thought that Mallett "could eventually replace Brady." As for his chances of "winning a starting job almost anywhere else," since Mallett's play has been limited to a couple of unremarkable pre-season series, I can only say that your guess is as good as mine. I have no idea whether that is (or is not!) the case and I doubt anyone does.

Mallet has shown that he is a slow decision maker, inaccurate, has a slow release, and is slow footed. I am sure he can take all that and win a starting job somewhere in the NFL. At least Cassel could scramble when he got in trouble and had decent accuracy when he finally did throw the ball.

Heres my answer to multiple replies like yours....If the pats continually draft for the future they will remain a very good to excellent team that will win 12+ games a year and continue to go to the playoffs just like they have been for the last Ten years. But just like the last ten years they'll make it deep into the playoffs but won't have quite enough to get a ring. Its great fun watching the team win that many games a year, but i want what the players want...more Rings.

I used to post a lot here, but posters here won't even consider the possibility that of looking at the FO moves with some objectivity. Its all Pom Poms, candy canes, and unicorns. Any questioning of the FO brings the knives out.

"just like the last ten years they'll make it deep into the playoffs but won't have quite enough to get a ring?"

We watched two different games in their last two SB appearances then. They lost each because of one or two plays, one of which was a freak catch, another a (tough) dropped pass and another a great throw and catch down the sideline by Eli and Manningham, who was well-covered. They had plenty to win it all, but it didn't work out; that's what a "one and done" playoff format brings...great theater but also a bigger role for randomness. The freak catch was made by a guy who never played another down in the NFL and the drop was made by one of the best WR's of his era.

And, as for criticizing Patriots' management, you clearly missed my posts during Spygate when I said that Belichick made a bad mistake (later confirmed by none other than Bob Kraft) and that the Patriots organization didn't do enough to fight back in the media. I was also critical of them letting Asante and Welker go. So, call me what you want, but don't fit me with Pom Poms.

Mallet has shown that he is a slow decision maker, inaccurate, has a slow release, and is slow footed. I am sure he can take all that and win a starting job somewhere in the NFL. At least Cassel could scramble when he got in trouble and had decent accuracy when he finally did throw the ball.
I haven't seen enough of Mallett to make that evaluation, but, for that same reason, I am also not in a position to disagree with it. To me, all that matters is that BB clearly came to a conclusion about Mallett that made him go in another direction in the second round of this year's draft; that's enough for me.

Right, the Patriots have made the Superbowl twice and made to to the AFC Championship game the last 3 years...that is pretty friggin competitive.

If you are correct, and the Patriots don't feel Mallett could take over, then they would be foolish to bring him back. But if I am correct, and the Patriots do feel Mallett could take over, then they would have to still find some way to keep him under contract in 2015 and beyond.

Drafting Garoppolo was simply a sign that the likelihood of Mallett being a Patriot in 2015 is close to zero, regardless of the reason why.

If you are correct, and the Patriots don't feel Mallett could take over, then they would be foolish to bring him back. But if I am correct, and the Patriots do feel Mallett could take over, then they would have to still find some way to keep him under contract in 2015 and beyond.

Drafting Garoppolo was simply a sign that the likelihood of Mallett being a Patriot in 2015 is close to zero, regardless of the reason why.

It's not foolish to bring a guy back who knows the system while Garoppolo comes up to speed in the event that something happens to Brady early on. Since neither one of us knows what is going in BB's mind on this, we can each interpret it pretty much any way we want. That's how I see it. As I said earlier, we disagree. Nothing much more to say; this horse is beat dead.

Last edited:
I still don't know that I'm over the shock that they took a QB that high but I heard a great point the other day about guys who came after the best QBs of the 90's.

Aikman: Quincy Carter, Chad Hutchinson, Vinny Testaverde, Drew Bledsoe, John Kitna and Tony Romo.

Kelly: Todd Collins, Doug Flutie, Rob Johnson, Alex Van Pelt, Drew Bledsoe, Kelly Holcomb, JP Losman, Trent Edwards, Ryan Fitzpatrick, EJ Manual.

Marino: Jay Fielder, Guy Frerotte, Joey Harrington, Cleo Lemon, Chad Pennington, Chad Henne, Matt Moore, Ryan Tannehill.

Elway: Brian Griese, Jake Plummer, Jay Cutler, Kyle Orton, Tim Tebow, Peyton Manning.

Young: Jeff Garcia, Tim Rattay, Alex Smith, Colin Kaepernick

Favre: Aaron Rodgers.

Different levels of ineptitude and a who's who of suck but as much as I'd love to push and win now I get wanting to be the Packers and not the Bills.

I think the best way to look at the Garappolo pick. Assuming he becomes a decent backup QB, he saves them $3 to $4 million a year in cap space -- the cost of signing a decent free agent NFL backup. So the 2nd round pick frees up money to sign a decent NFL veteran starter/top back up at another position for the next 3 years. That improves the team.

And as a bonus, you get a legitimate ticket in the Replace Tom Brady Lottery...

I still don't know that I'm over the shock that they took a QB that high but I heard a great point the other day about guys who came after the best QBs of the 90's.

Aikman: Quincy Carter, Chad Hutchinson, Vinny Testaverde, Drew Bledsoe, John Kitna and Tony Romo.

Kelly: Todd Collins, Doug Flutie, Rob Johnson, Alex Van Pelt, Drew Bledsoe, Kelly Holcomb, JP Losman, Trent Edwards, Ryan Fitzpatrick, EJ Manual.

Marino: Jay Fielder, Guy Frerotte, Joey Harrington, Cleo Lemon, Chad Pennington, Chad Henne, Matt Moore, Ryan Tannehill.

Elway: Brian Griese, Jake Plummer, Jay Cutler, Kyle Orton, Tim Tebow, Peyton Manning.

Different levels of ineptitude and a who's who of suck but as much as I'd love to push and win now I get wanting to be the Packers and not the Bills.

What makes you think JG will be any more successful than those QBs for the Bills or Brown?

Depressing, huh? Most of those lists represent a history of a franchise trying to find its way and, for the most part, thrashing around for decades.

If anyone can figure out how to be in the pattern of Favre/Rodgers (and Montana/Young, BTW) and not the others, it's Belichick. But, the odds are in favor of the House.

I think the best way to look at the Garappolo pick. Assuming he becomes a decent backup QB, he saves them $3 to $4 million a year in cap space -- the cost of signing a decent free agent NFL backup. So the 2nd round pick frees up money to sign a decent NFL veteran starter/top back up at another position for the next 3 years. That improves the team.

And as a bonus, you get a legitimate ticket in the Replace Tom Brady Lottery...

I don't even know who would qualify as "a decent free agent NFL backup." Certainly none this year (unless one is as desperate as the Jests and think Michael Vick is a good bet). Of course, there's always the Sanchize. :D

Seeing all the hate that the JG pick is getting makes me want to root for him even harder. I remember Vollmer and Ridley got a LOT of hate too. They turned out all right.

I've been waiting to get back from a trip to post a reply to this....And BB the Coach is always saving BB the GMs Bacon. I like building for the future, but evey once in a while the team needs to take a shot at filling holes of immediate need like a Center for example. And i don't mean a fourth round coach em up Center, i mean a highly regarded first or second round Center

Were there any? Not this year. If you wanted a #1 C, you would have had to draft someone high and converted him.

Heres my answer to multiple replies like yours....If the pats continually draft for the future they will remain a very good to excellent team that will win 12+ games a year and continue to go to the playoffs just like they have been for the last Ten years. But just like the last ten years they'll make it deep into the playoffs but won't have quite enough to get a ring. Its great fun watching the team win that many games a year, but i want what the players want...more Rings.

BTW, on my complaint. Are you purposely being obtuse? I said in my post that IF the team had a decent pass rush and put pressure on manning Maybe just Maybe TB won't have been put in the position of trying to throw a TD with a revolving doors playing center and guard to win the SB. I mean thats the way its suppose to work.

I used to post a lot here, but posters here won't even consider the possibility that of looking at the FO moves with some objectivity. Its all Pom Poms, candy canes, and unicorns. Any questioning of the FO brings the knives out.

What makes you think being disagreeable makes you correct?

What makes you think JG will be any more successful than those QBs for the Bills or Brown?

I never said I thought he would. I just said I understand the need to start trying before TB is in complete decline. Maybe like the Packers with Rodgers and 49ers with Young they'll get lucky and figure it out in advance.

Nobody taken at the end of the second round was going to help the Patriots win now.
I disagree completely. Jarvis Landry, WR from LSU might've received some major time on the field depending on Dobson's and Boyce's health. Then in the 3rd round, C.J. Fiedorowicz automatically becomes our best TE not named Gronk. Richard Rodgers and Crocket Gilmore were 2 more TEs that automatically become our 2nd best TE on the team, but totally ignored in the 3rd round by trading that pick. In fact taking CJ in the 2nd and Gilmore in the 3rd, our TE position goes from a weakness to a strength, and if Gronk misses some time or gets hurt again, those guys sure as help help us win NOW !! I can name a lot of people we passed up by picking JG and by NOT using their 3rd round pick that would have helped this team win NOW. Not even mentioning that 3rd round pick could have been used as a tool to trade UP to pick a stud prospect higher in the 2nd round to help the team win NOW.

Umm Flacco has an elite accurate arm and warner was surrounded by future hall of famers and pro bowlers. That's hardly the patriot offense. If gp has to play he will b surrounded by an ordinary slot wr as his #1 target who shouldn't be any more than a #3. A Carolina castoff. And a group of wr's thrilled to just b in the NFL. Don't even act like we stole lafell with a briefcase of money. He was cheap and could have easily been resigned but Carolina wanted upgrade their lackluster wr's from ground up. Dobson would have been nothing more than a late fourth this draft. Sometime after Marty Bryant whom I can't believe we passed on for dork. Ben to Bryant is going to haunt us garunteed. We could have traded our third rd pick along with gp pick up to draft Lee or Jordan Matthews. Would u rather have gp and stork or marquise Lee? The missing piece to our offense.
I have hope for go as well. Just odds aren't in our favor there. The key to a thriving offense after Brady isn't reaching for a qb n hope he can carry an offense with below average playmakers like Brady does. That's extremely rare. Key is build an offense with playmakers who can win on all levels of the field, short middle deep with speed,route running, and ball skills in a good system. An online that can dominate or compete with talented pass rushing De's and DT's one on one and create space in the running game. THEN find the young replacement to slide in after Brady retires who can get the ball to the playmakers consistently. Increases the chances of go or any qb thriving. For the record I believe Garappolo could do it with some work with Brady over next 2/3 yes. His arm is a Lil better than credited. With that said now is not the time for go. Good back ups can b had for 6th rd picks in trades or cheap in fa. Former so called busts drafted by terrible teams and expected to be the saviour and carry terrible teams in bad systems make good back ups and or future starters. Notice all young flourishing qbs are on good teams with great systems. Kaepernick,Foles,Wilson. Busts and struggling qbs are expected to carry bad teams. The go and stork picks should have been converted to Marquise Lee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back