PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats draft QB Jimmy Garropolo from Eastern Illinois in the 2nd round

Status
Not open for further replies.
We all assume the Patriots are going to be a playoff team with a chance to win the SuperBowl with Brady as our QB, correct? That means picking late in each round of the draft as well. So, we don't take Garappolo this year and wait to address QB next year or the year after. Now, Brady is pushing 40, Mallett leaves for a chance to play and that leaves the Patriots with a dire need at the QB position. I have no idea what the QB classes will look like next year or 2 years from now, but I don't want the Patriots to fall into the trap of having to reach for a QB in late rd.1 because they have become desperate. That leads to years of bad football.
I have no idea if Garappolo is the guy. What we do know is that the Patriots obviously liked him enough to not trade out of that pick and not to pick someone else in the 2nd round. They do not just take players to piss off us fans who think they know more than them when it comes to these players. This gives them a window to try and develop him, and if it works, the Patriots are set, if it doesn't it gives them more time before Brady is done to be find another guy and not be forced into playing the wrong guy.

100% agree.

Difficult to make a solid argument against investing in the position when your QB is 37 years old, in addition to the mileage Brady has going deep into the playoffs his entire career. His time will come, it waits for nobody, Tom terrific included. We just better hope we are prepared when it happens.

I do however believe you can make an argument for going in a different direction in regards to the player. I liked Bridgewater but that was predicated on him falling to the second. Was 100% against QB in the 1st.

End of the day I feel the pats took the best QB on the board @ 62. There is a lot to feel good about with him: fastest release in the class, ball placement, best footwork in the class, began playing the position studying predominantly Brady/Tom Martinez drills, tape and cues. Also things that aren't ideal: competition, height, offensive system

But like always, we'll see.

What if he becomes nothing special, and they don't win any extra rings for TFB but come close, will there be crow eaten then?

Let's be clear. We needed a backup QB next year. We also needed a backup TE. That was the choice. Belichick probably will choose Keller as the TE, and may believe that Fiedorowitz is no better than the UDFA's and Williams.

OK, I have some FL land to sell those who think that Fiedorowitz would have made the difference in Brady winning more Super Bowl rings.

I'm not gonna continue to argue dude. I don't really care enough. I'm not pessimist, I have hopes to I'm just realistic and cautious. I hope for the best but I realize u can't just throw anybody out there at wr. The defenders r getting pages to. People go ape$hit over adding anybody that can run. Peeps were optimistic last yr when we signed Michael Jenkins and the dude barely made it past his first practice. He has size everybody said. Edelman as a #1 isn't gonna work out. DB's r faster longer more athletic than ever. Would b nice to have wr's Who u have to manufacture catches. Who can win on 3rd n long against dB's. And Brady doesn't have to throw open.And I don't go by sacks. They r cool but I would rather a qwik-twitch rusher who consistently breathes down the qb's neck like a dragon. Many of the D's sacks r manufactured. Without Brady,any back up would struggle with our offense. Without Brady our offense is bottom 5 like the defense. We have a definite window for trophy #4 for bout 2 yrs. With that said there is no time to wait and c if mediocre talent young wr's can step up and not just b productive but win when it gets rough against the best teams in the final 2 games of the season. Where the playmakers n pass rush usually disappear. If these young wr's and Carolina castaway can't do it, by the time that's realized it could be to late to win that championship. There were wr's in this draft that had the elite talent to be likely to step in and help the offense to the next level on talent. Certain players r so good they make significant game changing contributions b4 even being coached up. That's what we need. Brady is 37, no more time for maybe's and hope's. As we should have learned by now,that doesn't get the ring.

For the record I like the Easley pick. At least the chance is there to finally have that qwik-twiitch rusher to give manning that deer in headlight look. Kaepernick to lol. I think that's who represents the NFC this season.

I like grap. His armstrength is better than credited. Just not the time for him now. I would feel very confident bout his success with marquise Lee like playmakers around him. Kinda like what warner walked into. Notice young qb's thriving now have good teams around them. Foles has great line,talented playmakers. If our new qb whomever he is walks into something like that his chances of success ups 500%.

Let's be clear. We needed a backup QB next year. We also needed a backup TE. That was the choice. Belichick probably will choose Keller as the TE, and may believe that Fiedorowitz is no better than the UDFA's and Williams.

OK, I have some FL land to sell those who think that Fiedorowitz would have made the difference in Brady winning more Super Bowl rings.

A 2nd round pick on a 3rd strong QB is a bad investment, get me a quality O-lineman with that pick and get a QB later on.

Jeff Howe ‏@jeffphowe 17m
Garoppolo has been walking up to rookies at Gillette, shouting a play call and asking them if they know their assignments. Leading already.

Doug Kyed ‏@DougKyedNESN 45m
Justin Jones said Jimmy Garoppolo will walk up to him, shout out a play from Patriots playbook and ask him what his responsibilities are.

Agreed. I think people are so spoiled they forget the awful days of Hugh Millen vs Tommy Hodson in training camp. Whichever QB won the job was still terrible. By picking JG a year early, not only does BB ensure the Pats have a backup QB once Mallet leaves, but it gives him an extra year to evaluate if JG can be the guy or if the Pats still need to find a QB of the future to be ready when Brady finally hangs em up.

Let me just repeat this time tested adage: the most important position on the field for a football team is Quarterback.

Obviously, I love Brady as our QB. But if he is our Montana, now is a good time to start searching for our Steve Young.
I actually thought Tommy Hodson was going to be a good NFL QB. Lookie here, He looks like a young Jimmy Garoppolo in this clip.

Garoppolo has been walking up to rookies at Gillette, shouting a play call and asking them if they know their assignments. Leading already.

Justin Jones said Jimmy Garoppolo will walk up to him, shout out a play from Patriots playbook and ask him what his responsibilities are.
How can you not like this ? This kid is gonna be fun to watch in the preseason.

Good stuff. About the only thing that would excite me more is if vet WR's report that when they walk up to Gar and ask him about a play, he answers them immediately and in the positive.

I LOVE that!

And on the flip side of awesome, I really hope the Patriots take note of any Rookie that responds to hazing with "I'm going to F**k you up, Wes. Do you know who I am?"

Scott Zolak missed the Bruins game last night (lucky him!) because he was in the studio practicing:

"...It's 3rd and nine at the Broncos 22, seven seconds left, Patriots down 4, Garoppolo in the shotgun, Stork snaps the ball, Garoppolo looks left, throws right, Amendola at the pylon... Touchdown! Jimmy Garoppolo to Danny Amendola! Show ponies! Unicorns! I've lost my mind! Touchdown Patriots!

That's what I was getting. People have been trained to get overly excited over **** like that. Shouting out plays. Intangibles,work ethics r good don't get me wrong, but drastically overrated. They get so enamored in that junk they forget to check if the player has enough talent to standout in the NFL. When we at the gym get together for weekend football I can assure the captain's don't pick choir boys first. We don't cross off a player for our team cuz he had a DUI last week at 3am or speeding tickets. The top colleges don't recruit players/leaders first. They go after top talent first and let leadership play itself out. Ray lewis wasn't drafted for leadership,it just played out that way. There's no replacing superior talent, which is y we lose the last game we play every yr. Its not due to lack of intangibles.

Grap to amendola for a td at Denver 22?? Lol, since when did amendola become a big play wr or red zone target. Dobson's hurt again and dB's around the league r faster longer and more athletic than our wr's. Dobson is only wr that could be a solid #2 but he can't get on the field to find out if he can progress to a #2. By time we find out if he is a bust or not Brady could be declining 2 yrs from now and super bowl window closed. If we r to match Denver we need a true #1wr. Must b careful with Andre Johnson with him turning 33. I'm for it but must b careful as many wrs turned ordinary at bout that age. Ocho,Holt,Joe horn,miss. Though Johnson is fanatical bout nutrition and health food.

I know many will get ruffled on this subject. Do u really c us beating the broncos in January with edelman our #1. Its easy to get excited in may bout adding anybody at wr with 2 legs. Reality is Carolina didn't care enough to get lafell back,opting to upgrade and rebuild the position. DB's r getting payed to win to. Its easy to think adding a body will work. But reality is dB's r gonna b out there trying to stop our wr's. In January when we play in Denver reality will set in and when edelman/amendola can't get the job done. It will b to late to sign or trade for a talented wr then. Even if Dobson is healthy he isn't a sure thing. B4 getting upset at what I'm saying remember what u were thinking last January when our so so called playmakers were totally shut down. Remember how u were thinking how we need a true #1 wr. Remember how excited u were at the wr talent in this draft. Well,we didnt add ANY! Your lying to yourself if u r trying to convince yourself this offense is enough. Gronk is as likely to b injured,Dobson even if he makes the field doesnt have the pure talent to say he is a sure consistent playmaker. Maybe,maybe not. He would have been drafted after marty bryant this yr. But he has a chance. But hope doesnt make plays n i c nothing special there.The bronco defense has got better to,maybe more improved than ours. When this offense sputters in January its to late then. Do u really wanna b in same spot as last January saying to yourself wait til next yr we will add a playmaking talent this off season. You know what u were thinking last January when Denver's injury stricken defense squatted on our wr's n shut the offense down.

On positive note Zach Moore could b a steal. He has quickness to run a 4.65 - 4.7 40. Small school guys don't get taught techniques to shave time from 40yrd dash And other drills. At 6"5 270 his athleticism is a shade under clowneys. He has slightly more raw skills than Michael Bennett. I would b very happy if he is as good as bennett lol. and Fleming may b a fine guard.

Not really Nun. I think most people's distaste for this pick has nothing to do with Garapollo or his potential. It has a lot more to do with the missed opportunity to choose someone who was a lot more likely to contribute to the success of the team over the next 4 years than Jimmy Garapollo.

All of us are much more interested in THIS year's team than the one that will take the field in 2018. So even if JG actually can overcome the 3 levels of competition, his small hands, and generally inexperience to become the next Pats QB, I will STILL think that it was a mistake to draft him THIS year.

Bottom line - I will always believe that it was at LEAST a year to early to draft a QB, and even if you felt the pressing need to draft one this year, you could have gotten at least as good a prospect later on on in the draft in the 4th, 5th. and 6th rounds.

The only way that I would be happy to "eat crow" would be if Brady's career was suddenly cut short....and JG became a perennial all pro. Then I would gladly eat all the crow you provide. ;)

I normally agree with you 95% of the time. But not even close this time.

I myself want a continued, competitive Playoff club. I don't think loading up and "going for it", works very often.

BB has been re-building continuously since 2009; and was patching from 2005. He still managed 5 Super Bowl appearances in a dozen years, and numerous AFCE titles. We've been to the AFCCG, 3 straight years, winning once.

The last of the rebuilding, the Defense was actually completed last season. It was obscured by the injuries to the star defensive players, but not entirely. The most sacks ever in a BB read-&-react Defense, the most sacks since Ray Berry was coaching, an opponent passer completion under 50%, a respectable opponent 3rd down conversion rate, and a high opposition 3-and-out rate. the injuries generated a weakness against the run. Marvelously that was patched with unknown,and unheralded 'finds' during the season.

BB has been re-building and while winning.

This off-season the weaker but almost good enough squads, were thoroughly addressed in the secondary and interior O-line are improved. This loaded team is now even more prepared to win it all.

Besides, who would they have selected at #62 that could have materially changed things? Martin, Sua-filo and Bitonio were gone, so were the few good secondary CB and S candidates. A reserve LB isn't critical, and the TE class all were very overrated. We have Gronk. Would another Hoomanawanui helped all that much? No to either; I'd rather sign a couple of vet FAs as experienced reserves; and he probably will.

BB will keep an experienced backup QB in Mallet, and now will groom a selected candidate who will need at least one, or more probably a couple years, of grooming, before you can rely on him. He is coming as he does, from a third rate football program. Even Brady needed a season of grooming.

As a genuine Super Bowl contender, BB knows you can't jeopardize a playoff season, by taking a loss for even a game or two when/if Brady is dinged and gone for even a couple of games. You need a groomed and good quality Backup QB.

While it's understandable on some level for those to be frustrated or at least question some of the choices, you're statement is a reminder that Belichick's approach on both the current + future has been working very well, so we all have to keep that in mind.

It all depends on how much one saw "needs" for the 2014 team, but prior to the draft, Deus Irae posted all of the starters at each position, and proved that there really weren't many holes aside from backup positions, which could be said for ANY team. In other words, aside from maybe TE and S (those are what stick out to me personally), we were in pretty decent shape for the 2014 season as it was.

After all, our team came up a bit short last year mainly due to injury situations. There's not much you can do for that, aside from hope that it isn't as bad, while attempting to add some depth/competition. We've added some defensive pieces, and even make a big splash or two with new CBs. Personally, I think the 2014 situation should be looking pretty good once the final coat is applied from now until the end of August.

Some of the apprehension and worry comes from not knowing what Belichick's plan is, but we have to assume that there is certainly a plan in place for the couple of positions that remain. I also believe that we'll still be adding players from now until camp as well, so that may go a long way towards helping things.

It always comes down to those four little words, In Bill we trust. It's very difficult to argue against his success.

It always comes down to those four little words, In Bill we trust. It's very difficult to argue against his success.

I agree 100%. While BB has had both great picks and horrible ones, it's hard to argue against the bottom line.

That said, I can also understand those who tend to question some of the moves as well, as long as it's done within reason. Some of our fans here tend to take it way too far with their criticism, and that makes reasonable debates difficult to have.

At the end of the day, Belichick's drafts are usually controversial on some level, so we'll have to trust him and his excellent record---even if it can be frustrating at times for many.

A 2nd round pick on a 3rd strong QB is a bad investment, get me a quality O-lineman with that pick and get a QB later on.

But we just don't know how Belichick had those later QBs graded, nor do we know how he had the OL picks graded either.

Due to that lack of information, how can you honestly say that it was/wasn't a good selection?

In all seriousness, I am VERY satisfied with our OL competition at the moment. I feel as though the position was addressed with 3 nice picks. We also have Vollmer coming back from injury, Kline who looked fine at guard last year, Cannon's ability to play both inside/out, and had Dante Scarnecchia's input with these 3 choices even though he retired. I'm not sure how you can have a problem with that position to be honest?

It was repeated time and time again that the likelihood of taking an interior lineman in the top 1-2-3 rounds of the draft was extremely low, so this didn't really surprise many.

I agree 100%. While BB has had both great picks and horrible ones, it's hard to argue against the bottom line.

That said, I can also understand those who tend to question some of the moves as well, as long as it's done within reason. Some of our fans here tend to take it way too far with their criticism, and that makes reasonable debates difficult to have.

At the end of the day, Belichick's drafts are usually controversial on some level, so we'll have to trust him and his excellent record---even if it can be frustrating at times for many.

I'm not in a position to be critical. I don't see any college players play until they line up in the NFL. Even if I had though, there's no way of knowing for sure which players will end up making it and which won't.

I'm in the same boat as another poster here. All of the *****ing about Garoppolo makes me want him to succeed even more.

If the time comes that Bill Belichick decides that he wants Jimmy Garoppolo as his QB and not Tommy Brady, I'll be the first one at the door to thank Tom and let him out.

On the surface u can say bill got us to last 2 AFC championship games. Below the surface, his d has been dead last or near it. His drafts horrendous and h has botched more second/third rd picks than any other team in the NFL by far. He botched the entire 06/07 draft,like 17 players all busts. From 05-08 he found 2 starters. A first rd guard and top 10 pick lb. He has failed to find a top 15 wr and should kiss Bradys @$$. How many qbs ever in history wouldn't have stunk up the field with edelman/amendola as top targets. Bill needs to find viable targets for the qb he has. The goat. When u have Brady its championship or bust,everything led is failure. Brady is only elite qb not to win one since 06. He has had sub NFL trash at wr. How much love did edelman get on market or dola til we pages double anybody else would have. Both times Emanuel was available. A speed demon with crazy skills just itching to explode a breakout season like his teammate. Last yr our wr's r squatted on and totally shut down by an injury ravaged defense in Denver and we add lafell. And hope for dobson to emerge. I have hopes for him to but he isn't a great talent he is decent with no garuntee's. Not like a Lee or Marty Bryant where hope of their talent is close to the lines of expectations. Just watch, passing on them was a huge mistake. A backup qb was nuts. I get it by what qb could carry a lackluster wr corps like Brady does. What NFL starter could do that much less young backup. If bill wants a backup or future starter successful the key is good online and playmakers to get the ball to. Every high flying potent offense ever had talented playmaking wrs and an accurate pocket passer that consistently gets them the ball. Look at young qbs that r thriving have talented playmakers around them,a good line and system.
On that last note I like the online picks. If a potent offense is to finish the job against a dominant d in the championship game,a physical athletic oline is needed who can punch a dominant defense back in their mouth. I liked bodine better than stork. An intelligent olineman doesn't dominate. Saying he plays smart is a kind was of saying he is a soft wimp. Anybody ever talk bout how intelligent Larry allenb or Walter Jones or john Ogden played. Like when your set up for a blind date and your toldbthe girl is really nice. Its a red flag warning the girl is not attractive. And decline the date. Perhaps stork can hit the weight room harder and add 10-15 lbs of muscle. We need a playmaker IMHO. In January its to late when wr's sputter n I don't wanna see manning smiling holding AFC trophy.

welp...you ARE a football genius, rat...just, not on this planet.....and calling Stork a "a lightweight wimp" is just about as asinine a take as I can remember from this past draft. This "crazy skills!!!" Emanuel you're so in love with has been playing with Ben Rothlisberger...what the hell has he been waiting to "break out " for? BTW, do you KNOW that a TE named Gronkowski plays in the Patriots offense?

sleep it off...

A 2nd round pick on a 3rd strong QB is a bad investment, o a quality O-lineman with that pick and get a QB later on.

I'm sorry please tell us what QB the Pats should have taken later on?

You do know that the draft isn't a random let's pick a name out of the hat, and hope it works deal right? Teams spend a year evaluating hundreds of players, identifying what's their strength and weaknesses, and deciding if they fit their system or not.

So why would the Pats pass on a QB, they think after 2-3 years learning in their system, behind the GOAT, could be another 10+year franchise QB, and continue the remarkable decade + run of success this franchise as had?

I'm not gonna sit here and pretend I know everything about JG. I don't. I do think the biggest knock on him is the quality of opponents he played throughout college, but coaches and scouts love his mechanics. I'm pretty sure if he had the same success for a Northwestern as opposed to an Eastern Illinois, he'd be a top 5 first round pick. Reminds me of the Jaime Collins pick last year in that aspect.

Its a luxury pick that not many teams can afford to take. Fortunately for us, we can. If it doesn't work, we'll draft another QB, and JG will go down as another horrible second round pick. If it does pan out, we get a franchise QB.

I dunno about you, but I'd rather have the next Tom Brady as opposed to the next Hoo-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots