PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats - Colts Divisional Round Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to see us run it a lot, I would also like to see us use a 2 back set with blount in the full back position, and vereen as the HB, then motion vereen out wide to give him some really choice matchups.

Yeah, I've accepted he won't be available for this game and moved on. I think Edelman/Amendola/Thompkins/Collie are good enough at WR to beat the Colts, assuming our running game is effective, so it doesn't worry me too much. All things being equal, it's better than having someone like Solder or Dennard not practicing.

I really dont think an injured dobson or healthy Thompkins is going to be much of a difference.

But, the health of our secondary is important to us making a deep run. you could make a case of the remaining secondaries we have the best one if healthy.

I really dont think an injured dobson or healthy Thompkins is going to be much of a difference.

But, the health of our secondary is important to us making a deep run. you could make a case of the remaining secondaries we have the best one if healthy.

I don't think Thompkins is the difference maker either, but every weapon helps for sure. If we get past Indy, we're going to need all hands on deck for Denver (or San Diego, who was good enough to beat Denver).

Plus you never know. Some players make their bones in the playoffs. Until you see a guy in that scenario you really don't know what you've got.

I too, often continue to learn from others and see things from different angles, so there are plenty of times where I see things a bit differently after hearing someone point out certain aspects. It's one of the reasons I love this forum :)

I agree with you that Thompkins, or anyone else for that matter has the ability to get behind the defense, for any number of reasons whether it be play design, a breakdown of defensive assignments, someone slipping on the field, etc; so that's certainly very reasonable to think.

I wouldn't mind seeing Thompkins get some early looks with some quick passes, just to help him get in a groove, and to also help to loosen up Amendola and Edelman--who will be the key focus of the passing defense. I think this could coincide with our continuing to get rid of the ball very quickly, thus negating the rush provided by guys like Mathis etc. It may also help to spread the defenders around a bit which may help for that big play that you referred to earlier.

All it takes it one/two bigger plays, so I don't think any of us care who gets them. There's actually even the possibility of a guy like Devlin, Hooman, or Mulligan getting open and snagging in a key 15-20 yd catch to help us get the momentum, as low as the odds probably are of that happening. One thing is for sure---someone is going to have to step up and show some of the toughness and persistence that has helped to define our current 2013 year.

If Thompkins is in and sees extended playing time, he should get a lot of looks. Every defense we play going forward, starting with the Colts, is going to key in on Edelman and Vereen. Thompkins HAS to get open one on one and has to run the correct routes. The good news about this weekend is that I don't see the Colts being able to successfully shut down Edelman and Vereen, given their personnel. They may be able to slow them, but not shut them down. Still both guys should see a good amount of doubles which will give Amendola/Thompkins/Collie (depending on the personnel package the offense rolls out) a lot of one on one looks. Of course, we should also give them a steady dose of the run, particularly in the red zone.

Vereen's lack of stat sheet production down the stretch was the story of injuries to the offensive line more than anything. He's a very good pass protector and was kept in to protect much more often with guys like Josh Kline playing guard and with Hoomanwanui out, which limited the number of routes he was able to run. With a completely healthy offensive line and Hoomanwanui, he should be much more free to run routes again.

Re: Bolts/Bronco Divisional Round Discussion Thread.

For those holding out, still hoping Dobson might play, the chances are now downgraded from slim to virtually none.

It Is What It Is » Aaron Dobson only one missing from start of Patriots practice on Thursday morning

Aaron Dobson was the only player missing from the start of Patriots practice on Thursday, and it’s looking more and more like the rookie receiver won’t be available for Saturday’s divisional playoff contest against the Colts at Gillette Stadium.

Dobson was the only player who was absent from Wednesday’s practice, and was seen in the locker room later that afternoon with a walking boot on his left foot. He missed three games after initially injuring the foot against the Broncos on Nov. 24. He returned on Dec. 22 against Baltimore before re-injuring the foot the following week in the regular-season finale against the Bills.

The Marshall product has 37 catches for 519 yards and four touchdowns in his first season with New England.​

For those holding out, still hoping Dobson might play, the chances are now downgraded from slim to virtually none.

It Is What It Is » Aaron Dobson only one missing from start of Patriots practice on Thursday morning

Aaron Dobson was the only player missing from the start of Patriots practice on Thursday, and it’s looking more and more like the rookie receiver won’t be available for Saturday’s divisional playoff contest against the Colts at Gillette Stadium.

Dobson was the only player who was absent from Wednesday’s practice, and was seen in the locker room later that afternoon with a walking boot on his left foot. He missed three games after initially injuring the foot against the Broncos on Nov. 24. He returned on Dec. 22 against Baltimore before re-injuring the foot the following week in the regular-season finale against the Bills.

The Marshall product has 37 catches for 519 yards and four touchdowns in his first season with New England.​
Think you put this in the wrong AFC Divisional matchup thread. But, yes, Dobson is almost certainly out.

Think you put this in the wrong AFC Divisional matchup thread. But, yes, Dobson is almost certainly out.

Damn cold medicine....

:ugh:

Is there any network that is discussing NFL playoffs? Games are on in two days and all I am seeing is talk of Winston, Manziel, and Jay Gruden.

NESN and CSNE are full of homers, it is the best sport and nobody seems to care.

Indy OC with a passive-aggressive shot at the Pats:

Colts' Pep Hamilton goes there, references ***gate | Indy Star

Colts offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton seemed to make a not-so-veiled reference to the practice when he was asked Wednesday about his time on the New York Jets' staff from 2003-05.

"I do know for a fact that it was always a 60-minute chess match," he said. "It was ever-changing looks and disguises and they always tend to find ways to figure out some of your signals."​

Then he backtracks a bit after taking his jab:

Hamilton did pay Belichick a compliment, saying, "It's truly an honor to have an opportunity to field a team and compete against the likes of Coach Belichick who will go down as one of the greatest coaches in the history of the National Football League."​

Indy OC with a passive-aggressive shot at the Pats:

Colts' Pep Hamilton goes there, references ***gate | Indy Star

Colts offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton seemed to make a not-so-veiled reference to the practice when he was asked Wednesday about his time on the New York Jets' staff from 2003-05.

"I do know for a fact that it was always a 60-minute chess match," he said. "It was ever-changing looks and disguises and they always tend to find ways to figure out some of your signals."​

Then he backtracks a bit after taking his jab:

Hamilton did pay Belichick a compliment, saying, "It's truly an honor to have an opportunity to field a team and compete against the likes of Coach Belichick who will go down as one of the greatest coaches in the history of the National Football League."​

Eh, that was weaksauce at best.

I don't read that as a Spygate reference... in fact, the way he presents it as a chess match seems to be as much a compliment as anything.

If only Rodney was on this team to play the disrespect card like a violin.

Is there any network that is discussing NFL playoffs? Games are on in two days and all I am seeing is talk of Winston, Manziel, and Jay Gruden.

NESN and CSNE are full of homers, it is the best sport and nobody seems to care.

FOX Sports was last night. Everyone picked the Broncos to win AFC becasue their O is too good not too. They then went to a segment describing the % of men and % of women that take "selfies" or whatever the hell it's called. I changed the channel and said never again. I made the wrong mistake in the first place watching that crap show.

Its only a spygate reference for those that think stealing signals is illegal which its not. I think it was less of a dig as opposed to not realizing how the media would react to something he believed to be innocuous.

I knew Pagano reeked of Colt and reeked of Ravens, but I'd forgotten that he even reeks of Jet

Who the hell cares? Drudging this up benefits which team? It is QUICKLY becoming the NFL equivalent of calling someone, "racist".

If only Rodney was on this team to play the disrespect card like a violin.

It's the playoffs, at home, and there is no tomorrow. If the team has to play the disrespect card to get up for the game, they're probably going to get their asses kicked.

Boston Globe Article - Enjoy this one..... - Colts Football - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Oh look, the garbage, traitorous, hack, know nothing Shaughnessy is trying to incite the Colts and their fans. This dude is one steaming pile of garbage of a Boston Sports writer, who lacks knowledge of anything football.

I'm not providing a link to the crap piece, but it's essentially the same thing as the 2011 one about the Broncos game. (AFC sucks, Pats are lucky, Broncos are garbage, they have no chance, whahaha I'm Dan Shaughnessy)

Not sure if it's been posted but he then went on radio and Indy and this was the convo. (his answers are italicized) Taken from Thorton's blog about it on Barstool
» Shaughnessy?s Operation: IndyTroll is a Major Success Barstool Sports: Boston

*On being asked if people in New England “are really that much in love with” Belichick and think other coaches “lose their mind” coaching against “the great man”: “I wish it weren’t true…”

*On coaches who’ve done well against Belichick, like the Harbaughs, Rex Ryan and Tom Coughlin: “Hopefully your guy will.”

*After pointing out the Colts have beaten the three top teams in the NFL this year: “Please bring that. You have no idea how much I want you to bring that. I’ve seen it too many years where the Patriots get to the AFC Championship Game without any hard lifting and without a lot of merit.”

*On what he wants to see out of the Colts: “I embrace and welcome people to come in and stand up to them and play big boy football… I’m begging you to come in here and play up to your potential.”

*On the 2013 Patriots: “This is one of the worst 12-4 teams ever assembled.”

*On the Patriots recent history: “They have zero impressive playoff wins since the 18-0 season.”

The guy is a hack and a troll.

"One of the worst 12-4 team every assembled". What a complete and utter stupid statement. Yep only have 6 starters on IR right now and had no less than 9 starters (not including the ones on IR) miss games.

Damn cold medicine....

:ugh:

Whiskey will do that to ya....;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back