PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats - Colts Divisional Round Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
*After pointing out the Colts have beaten the three top teams in the NFL this year: “Please bring that. You have no idea how much I want you to bring that. I’ve seen it too many years where the Patriots get to the AFC Championship Game without any hard lifting and without a lot of merit.”

Just, wow.

"One of the worst 12-4 team every assembled". What a complete and utter stupid statement. Yep only have 6 starters on IR right now and had no less that 8 starters (not including the ones on IR) miss games.

I don't take offense to the 12-4 comment as much as you may, even though I certainly disagree with it due to the reasons that you've listed such as injuries and overcoming adversity. That said, I can understand why he'd say or question that. I can at least understand the premise of what he's saying, in reference to them having had some luck, along with playing poorly at times.

Most of the other comments that he made are utterly ridiculous. We had "impressive" playoff victories against both DEN and HOU in the divisional rounds in the past 2 years, along with winning in the AFCCG in 2011 vs a BAL team who certainly was playing us tough and brought a lot of heart to Foxborough.

I don't take offense to the 12-4 comment as much as you may, even though I certainly disagree with it due to the reasons that you've listed such as injuries and overcoming adversity. That said, I can understand why he'd say or question that. I can at least understand the premise of what he's saying, in reference to them having had some luck, along with playing poorly at times.

Most of the other comments that he made are utterly ridiculous. We had "impressive" playoff victories against both DEN and HOU in the divisional rounds in the past 2 years, along with winning in the AFCCG in 2011 vs a BAL team who certainly was playing us tough and brought a lot of heart to Foxborough.

Well, thats the point. A close hard fought win will be "pats struggled to beat X team at home- they suck". An easy win "pats have had too many easy opponents"
This summarizes the no win situation
http://www.bostonsportsmedia.com/2014/01/appreciating-the-unmatched-genius-of-dan-shaughnessy

No - it has become (among the football intellegencia) if NE wins they cheated - if they lose Tom Brady just cannot get it done anymore.

Well, thats the point. A close hard fought win will be "pats struggled to beat X team at home- they suck". An easy win "pats have had too many easy opponents"
This summarizes the no win situation
Appreciating The Unmatched Genius Of Dan Shaughnessy ? Boston Sports Media Watch

In 2012, the Patriots beat the Texans. Many around here were laughing that game off, saying the Texans were falling apart.

In 2011, the Patriots beat the 8-8 Broncos.

In 2010, the Patriots didnt reach the AFCCG, losing to the Jets in the divisional round

In 2009, the Patriots didn't make it out of the wild card round.

The Patriots can only play the teams put in front of them but, in terms of accuracy, if you believed that the Texans were toast, where is Shaughnessy wrong?

......and the 12-4 Ravens.

They didn't beat the 12-4 Ravens to get to the AFCCG, which is what was being discussed. They faced the Ravens once they got there.

And then proceeded to lose to the 9-7 Giants (the only such team ever to win a SB).

Who, in the playoffs:

-beat the 10-6 Atlanta Falcons in Atlanta.

-beat the 15-1 Green Bay Packers in Green Bay.

-beat the 13-3 San Francisco 49ers in San Francisco.

....what's your point?

Last edited:
I just realized that we have a chance to go to the AFC championship game for the 3rd consecutive year. WOW! We're spoiled. What's the record for most consecutive AFC or NFC championship appearance?

I just realized that we have a chance to go to the AFC championship game for the 3rd consecutive year. WOW! We're spoiled. What's the record for most consecutive AFC or NFC championship appearance?

5. Oakland Raiders 1973-1977.

3 teams have done 4 in a row.

Cowboys (twice) 1970-1973, 1992-1995
Eagles 2001-2004
Bills 1990-1993

Last edited:
So does anyone know from any site or news source what type of rain is in store for Saturday night?

-drizzle
-average
-bengals monsoon

"Rain" is too vague! :D

I hear your point--but I tread with caution here. One game at a time. I don't assume anything, nor do I even look one minute past midnight or so, Saturday night. Nothing else matters at this point in time, and that obviously goes for both the potential to play in the AFCCG and also whatever goes on in the DEN/SD game. There will be plenty of time to relax and debate that early Sunday morning throughout Sunday afternoon. Hopefully we will all still give a damn at that point.

We've also had 4 byes in a row too. The hope is that if we bang on the door often enough, eventually it will come down.

We're definitely very fortunate to be witnessing highly competitive football every year, but boy would it be nice to get that 4th ring :)

In 2012, the Patriots beat the Texans. Many around here were laughing that game off, saying the Texans were falling apart.

In 2011, the Patriots beat the 8-8 Broncos.

In 2010, the Patriots didnt reach the AFCCG, losing to the Jets in the divisional round

In 2009, the Patriots didn't make it out of the wild card round.

The Patriots can only play the teams put in front of them but, in terms of accuracy, if you believed that the Texans were toast, where is Shaughnessy wrong?

Not sure shaughnessy is making an objective point as you are about the records. He is having a personal drivel about the pats unfortunately facing easy teams and not losing enough to give him and other local pats hating media a chance to the kill the patriots. The basis of the article at least in my opinion is not about giving some objective facts but lamenting how easy the pats have had it. I personally dont see him writing any non biased article on the patriots as much as he may claim to be. And even if the pats beat 14 win teams to go to the SB he will turn around and blame those teams instead of ever giving the pats organization any credit. 4 weeks ago he said the patriots have as good a chance as any to be in the SB. After the dolphins loss he wrote its laughable to think this team is a bye worthy team let alone get to the SB. He is not a just contrarian but a inciting troll

So does anyone know from any site or news source what type of rain is in store for Saturday night?

-drizzle
-average
-bengals monsoon

"Rain" is too vague! :D

Judging by the way this season has gone, I am fully expecting a torrential downpour of acidic rain---along with locusts, poisonous frogs, and flying three headed dogs.

Here's a cool stat "The only 3 times the Colts and Patriots met in the playoffs, the home team has won and gone on to win the Super Bowl."

IT LOOKS GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rocker:

Who, in the playoffs:

-beat the 10-6 Atlanta Falcons in Atlanta.

Incorrect. That game was at MetLife.

-beat the 15-1 Green Bay Packers in Green Bay.

-beat the 13-3 San Francisco 49ers in San Francisco.

....what's your point?

That maybe the record of the opponent isn't that important once you are in the tournament.

5. Oakland Raiders 1973-1977.

3 teams have done 4 in a row.

Cowboys (twice) 1970-1973, 1992-1995
Eagles 2001-2004
Bills 1990-1993

Poor Bills fans. They won all four of those and then lost in the Super Bowl each time. I can't imagine that level of futility.

Poor Bills fans. They won all four of those and then lost in the Super Bowl each time. I can't imagine that level of futility.

I was pulling for them in each one of those games.

I couldn't help but think of Ben Dreith when I saw that Oakland went to the AFC title game from 73-77. That streak should have stopped in 1976.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back