PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats' ball, 1st and goal, who do you put in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you will see many T. Brady to K. Brady passes in that short end of the field.

K. Brady is a handful to stop or block out in a short passing area.

Look for K. Brady to be a great red zone factor for this team.

I would hand it off to Maroney. He is very underrated when it comes to goal line carries because most of them went to Corey Dillon. However, when Maroney did get some goal line carries, he punched it in 90% of the time. Maroney is very good at getting getting low and at the goal line instead of hammering it in like Dillon. Either way works for me. Maroney will surprise everyone this year at his ability to get it in at the goal line.

I would hand it off to Maroney. He is very underrated when it comes to goal line carries because most of them went to Corey Dillon. However, when Maroney did get some goal line carries, he punched it in 90% of the time. Maroney is very good at getting getting low and at the goal line instead of hammering it in like Dillon. Either way works for me. Maroney will surprise everyone this year at his ability to get it in at the goal line.

If Maroney is to be what you say he will be at the goal line he better straighten out that dancing in the backfield before he hits the LOS

If Maroney is to be what you say he will be at the goal line he better straighten out that dancing in the backfield before he hits the LOS

Did you stop to think that maybe the dancing had something to do with the injury to his ribs? Or may, just MAYBE, there weren't many holes in the SD game for him to run through? SD's run defense was pretty damn stout during that game.

Did you stop to think that maybe the dancing had something to do with the injury to his ribs? Or may, just MAYBE, there weren't many holes in the SD game for him to run through? SD's run defense was pretty damn stout during that game.

And Maroney must be the first rookie RB ever to dance in the backfield. :rolleyes:

HB - Maroney
FB - Mills
WR - Moss
TE - Kyle Brady
TE - Watson

Play-action, dump it to Mills in the flat, walks in untouched.

Not Maroney, he goes down way too easy. I'd give it to Heath Evans at 6' 250 Lbs. Mano y Mano. Win it in the trenches.

Except the notion of Heath Evans as tough short-yardage runner is a myth.

1 QB - TB
5 of the biggest OL
2TE set - Thomas/K Brady
1 WR - Moss
1FB - Evans or Seymour
1RB - Maroney (on 3rd down I would put in Morris or Faulk)

I think I would throw to K Brady in this situation. He'll probably be up against a slow LB and with his height will be able to get the ball out of the air.

Except the notion of Heath Evans as tough short-yardage runner is a myth.

It is. Evans goes down easier than Maroney.

When healthy Maroney was pretty good at running inside and taking contact. With all the weapons we have I am confident we will find some way to get tha ball into the endzone.

Stop it. Just stop it right now. :D

Yeah they don't use Seymour at FB anymore. Part of it is that we now have more fo a true fullback in Evans, and they don't want Seymour to get hurt.

If they really want to get a big body in there at fullback I they will use a back up offensive lineman like Hochstein.

why not go old school with a twist - whishbone formation:
vince and mike wright as the blocking backs with maroney as HB - pitch it to left side with Kyle Brady on end as well; Kyle and vince pick up blocks to the right sholder and mike picks up any cheating corners/safteys to the left sholder - as Lombardi would say " a seal here!, and a seal here!, and run up the alley!"...

All day - every day inside the 5, unstopable! IMO.

PD.

why not go old school with a twist - whishbone formation:
vince and mike wright as the blocking backs with maroney as HB - pitch it to left side with Kyle Brady on end as well; Kyle and vince pick up blocks to the right sholder and mike picks up any cheating corners/safteys to the left sholder - as Lombardi would say " a seal here!, and a seal here!, and run up the alley!"...

All day - every day inside the 5, unstopable! IMO.

PD.

Because the wishbone is going to result in Brady taking vicious hits every play. Out of the playbook....now! There's a reason why it was abandoned in the pros.

Because the wishbone is going to result in Brady taking vicious hits every play. Out of the playbook....now! There's a reason why it was abandoned in the pros.
not if everybody is moving left, including the QB...? plus more of a pitch than handoff...sorry I left that part out.

PD.

Punt; that will f***ing surprise 'em.

Seriously, it depends on what has worked so far in the game. If the D is knackered, then pound 'em with no subtlety at all. There is nothing more demoralising for the D than knowing what is coming and not being able to stop it.
I'd go with WhiZa's personnel, substituting Seymour for Vrabel. Like patsox23, if the first two downs got nowhere, run a play action.

Wellllll you don't want to rule out anything not insane. But the best steady diet on 1st and goal is have your guys up front beat their guys up front, and a back take the damn rock right up the gut. when you show you can do that, first of all, it's the more secure route, and secondly, it plays hell with a defense's attitude (just like it skyrockets when you have 4 downs to get a yard and can't do it, a la the Clods in 04... "WAAAH! We didn't have Dominic Rhodes that game! No countsies!")

So yeah, there will be a lot of short TD passes Brady to Brady (in my opinion,) and you may see Evans, maybe even Faulk. But I think the goal (no pun intended) is for Maroney to be able to get the tough yards, not be some kind of 20 to 20 back, with someone else (Morris??!?!??!?!) taking over in close. But we'll probably see Morris, Maroney, K. Brady, and maybe Faulk get their chances at this down and distance.

As for the Wilfork/Vrabel/etc. discussion, they're fun, and maybe we'll see them... but the "gadget" play I want to see is Adalius Thomas in the backfield... 275 pounds of stompin', athletic, mismatched goal line erasing power. All day, baby.

PFnV

1st down: draw to faulk
2nd down: fade to moss
3rd down: QB sneak.
4th down: Maroney over the top

5 best o-linemen. I don't always go for biggest, I'd rather have the group that plays the best together.

QB Brady (I guess)
In the backfield: Q. Hill (a pure fb!) and Faulk
2 TE to the right: K. Brady and Watson
Mills lined up on the left wing.

Play goes right, direct snap to faulk, flip it back to T. Brady who flings it over to a wide open Mills.

Not sure it would work but I'd love to see it.

jump ball to Randy Moss

oh, did I mention Moss is on my fantasy team :)

You haven't watched Evans run much, have you? Evans is a LOUSY short-yardage back.

I also think you are wrong on Maroney. If you watched him at the beginning of the year, prior to his rib/shoulder problem, he was a very good runner both between the tackles and outside the tackles. It was only after his injury that he had the problems.

I actually hope you are right about Maroney. He was drafted to be our premier back. Yet, I rewatched the Charger's play off game the other night and there was a draw play to Maroney and the Charger's safety came up and tackled him with one arm in the back field. He should be able to run threw tackle attempts like that. The only significant play he had that whole game was to tackle Donnie Edwards after an INT.

Maroney playoffs: 87 yds on 31 attempts for 2.8 yd/carry, O TDs and 9 yd long run. He should have torn up the Colts. On NFL.Com only 3 backs had worse playoff stats than Maroney. He was outperformed by 27 other RBs in the playoffs.

I know some people will say he had injuries but they are part of the game. I also believe if you are cleared to play by the team doctors then Belichick expects you to perform without using the injury excuse.

We just might miss Corey in short yardage situations this year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back