PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats' ball, 1st and goal, who do you put in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd bring in the Fridge.

5 best o-linemen. I don't always go for biggest, I'd rather have the group that plays the best together.

QB Brady (I guess)
In the backfield: Q. Hill (a pure fb!) and Faulk
2 TE to the right: K. Brady and Watson
Mills lined up on the left wing.

Play goes right, direct snap to faulk, flip it back to T. Brady who flings it over to a wide open Mills.

Not sure it would work but I'd love to see it.

since wen is Quadtrine Hill a pure FB? Hes a tweener..like Pass. a receiver, possible runner. Hes not a blocker really

I say the Pats go with 550 pounds in the backfield - Kyle Brady at FB and Adalius at Runningback. :cool:

VINCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Vince.jpg

Agree. Maybe O'Callahan as well?

Have Tom purposely throw a pick in the endzone, then Troy knocks the ball out of the DB's hands and Mankins falls on it for a TD. Repeat 3 to 4 times per game.

Remember when we were terrible in the red zone and all we could do was let Adam kick it? What was that, like 99' or 00' and practically all of the Bledsoe years? *Sigh* those were the days...

Well, if there are three seconds on the clock and we're tied or behind by three or less, I'd put Gostkowski out there and call a Field Goal.

Assuming that's not what you meant, Moss gives us a whole new Red Zone look this year, allowing Brady to throw it where only he can catch it. So, I'd put him in and call a play at the back of the end zone as my first option. I'd have Vrabel in there as a decoy, Watson at TE and Morris heading two and five yards deep on the left and right. Play Action. Pump towards Vrabel and then make an eight or nine foot high toss to Randy. Take it to the bank.

Last edited:
I actually hope you are right about Maroney. He was drafted to be our premier back. Yet, I rewatched the Charger's play off game the other night and there was a draw play to Maroney and the Charger's safety came up and tackled him with one arm in the back field. He should be able to run threw tackle attempts like that. The only significant play he had that whole game was to tackle Donnie Edwards after an INT.

Maroney playoffs: 87 yds on 31 attempts for 2.8 yd/carry, O TDs and 9 yd long run. He should have torn up the Colts. On NFL.Com only 3 backs had worse playoff stats than Maroney. He was outperformed by 27 other RBs in the playoffs.

I know some people will say he had injuries but they are part of the game. I also believe if you are cleared to play by the team doctors then Belichick expects you to perform without using the injury excuse.

We just might miss Corey in short yardage situations this year.

This is an incredibly short-sighted, asinine way of looking at injuries from a poster who seems to specialize in this kind of stuff. Just stop.

So many want trick plays. I think that such an analysis shows a lack of confidence in the running game. We should be able to punch it in. We also have the best quarterback sneaker in the league.

ONE TO FOUR YARDS
QB: Brady
OL: Our starting five
RB: Maroney or Morris (bb knows which is our short yardage back)
FB: Evans
WR: Moss
TE: Brady, Thomas

LESS THAN ONE YARD
Hochstein replaces Moss.

FOUR YARDS OR MORE
RB: Faulk
WR: Moss, Welker or Stallworth (depending on matchups)
TE: Brady, Watson

So many want trick plays. I think that such an analysis shows a lack of confidence in the running game. We should be able to punch it in. We also have the best quarterback sneaker in the league.

ONE TO FOUR YARDS
RB: Maroney or Morris (bb knows which is our short yardage back)
FB: Evans
WR: Moss
TE: Brady, Thomas

LESS THAN ONE YARD
Hochstein replaces Moss.

FOUR YARDS OR MORE
RB: Faulk
WR: Moss, Welker or Stallworth (depending on matchups)
TE: Brady, Watson
I can't speak for everyone, but I thought it more to be on the lines of creative & fun, or "it would be cool to see..." rather than just the same old X's and O's scheme.

It has nothing to do with our confidence in our running game (I should say at least IMO), and besides it is not beyond Belichick to use other players in the running game on goal line situations no matter the RB/HB/FB or lineman, see Vrable, Seymour, Ashworth, Klecko, etc., in the past used in gadget formations.

Please don't get me wrong, Your options are well designed, and although predictable, Belichick doesn't want defenses to think that way. In about 10-20% of the time in short yardage situations he likes to keep em' guessing. The only other scenario to add to this hypothetical would be are we coming from behind, or do we have the lead? and the importance of the game? Playoffs or regular season?, That factors in a lot.

Otherwise nice breakdown MG.

PD.

Oh Lord......here are the Maroney apologists out in force.

Yeah.....I would give it to Maroney...he is supposed to be "The Man" this year. I hope they give him the opportunity and I hope he comes through. But, I wish we could give it to Dillon. Maroney still has to prove it to me.

But keep in mind.....if Maroney doesn't come through (which I hope is NOT the case)....the apologists can always blame the OL......wouldn't that be a surprise.

I wish we could just give it to clock killin Corry Dillon.....although most of his clock killin now is just he runs so darn slow....he would still be a better option than anybody the Pats currently have on the roster.....IMO only.

I always like the direct snap to Faulk. And sure, I like discussions of "wouldn't it be cool if"

I think that there are a couple of real issues here. First, do we have a short-yardage back? I wanted us to add an additional running back, expecially for short yardage situations. Second, is Evans a quality fullback, and valuable in a blocking (my answer is yes). And finally, I absolutely dread seeing Seymour or Vrabel playing offense. Personally, I think that, overall, those trick situations in short yardage have hurt rather than helped the team. Using a backup like Klecko, Ashworth or Hochstein is fine. The risk is small. But Seymour getting hurt playing offense is simply poor coaching.

I can't speak for everyone, but I thought it more to be on the lines of creative & fun, or "it would be cool to see..." rather than just the same old X's and O's scheme.

It has nothing to do with our confidence in our running game (I should say at least IMO), and besides it is not beyond Belichick to use other players in the running game on goal line situations no matter the RB/HB/FB or lineman, see Vrable, Seymour, Ashworth, Klecko, etc., in the past used in gadget formations.

Please don't get me wrong, Your options are well designed, and although predictable, Belichick doesn't want defenses to think that way. In about 10-20% of the time in short yardage situations he likes to keep em' guessing. The only other scenario to add to this hypothetical would be are we coming from behind, or do we have the lead? and the importance of the game? Playoffs or regular season?, That factors in a lot.

Otherwise nice breakdown MG.

PD.

And finally, I absolutely dread seeing Seymour or Vrabel playing offense. Personally, I think that, overall, those trick situations in short yardage have hurt rather than helped the team. Using a backup like Klecko, Ashworth or Hochstein is fine. The risk is small. But Seymour getting hurt playing offense is simply poor coaching.

I agree, I dread seeing our defensive guys playing on offense. But I didn't realize until just now, that the usual shiver that goes down my spine doesn't happen with Vrabel on the O anymore. Maybe because he seems to be used so often, and so successfully without mishap (yet) that I'm just used to seeing him in goal line situations on offense. But you're right... it should freak me out. Although lining up as a pass-catching TE has a different risk factor than putting a DE in at FB and asking him to crush bodies in front of the carrying tailback.

I agree that having Vrabel play TE isn't as risky as playing Seymour at fullback. Vrabel could play TE for this team. It is just a risk that it totally unnecessary. We have plenty of backup blockers, including tight ends.

Agree! As an aside, I imagine that BB must get a kick out of the fact that it still works, and does so effectively. In important goal line situations, I now start asking myself, where's Vrabes?

This is an incredibly short-sighted, asinine way of looking at injuries from a poster who seems to specialize in this kind of stuff. Just stop.

If he is so hurt why would the team doctors allow him to play? I just think when other fans use the "injury" excuse we call it being Homers. This sound no different to me.

If not drinking the Patriot's Kool Aid makes me sound "incredibly short-sighted, asinine way of looking at injuries from a poster who seems to specialize in this kind of stuff." so be it.

Plus I would not be surprised if you're not just Tom Casale using another alias. Your probably mad at me for my comments about you and Mrs. B.

Last edited:
If he is so hurt why would the team doctors allow him to play?....
rabthepat, you know that team doctors will usually do whatever they can to get a player on the field, and also a player knows that he is one injury away from being replaced. Pressure to Play hurt, is what is perceived as the norm in the NFL...Is it right?, no but it is football reality...

I always like the direct snap to Faulk. And sure, I like discussions of "wouldn't it be cool if"

I think that there are a couple of real issues here. First, do we have a short-yardage back? I wanted us to add an additional running back, expecially for short yardage situations. Second, is Evans a quality fullback, and valuable in a blocking (my answer is yes). And finally, I absolutely dread seeing Seymour or Vrabel playing offense. Personally, I think that, overall, those trick situations in short yardage have hurt rather than helped the team. Using a backup like Klecko, Ashworth or Hochstein is fine. The risk is small. But Seymour getting hurt playing offense is simply poor coaching.

MG, I concur about Seymour, I too get that rolling feeling in my stomach whenever he went out there on offense, not to bright indeed.
I would rather Wright go out instead; or some other lesser used back-up if we absolutely needed it only. I don't think we have a short yardage back either although It's not beyond the realm of possibility that we still pick one up in/after TC. But who knows if a rookie, or even Morris/Maroney will do well in that goal line spot. Our running game will be something to pay close attention to this season IMO, and NO, I will not blame the O'line either if it fails...

PD.

Last edited:
and NO, I will not blame the O'line either if it fails...

PD.

Why not? Typically, failure to convert short yardage is much more a reflection of line play than a failure of the ball carrier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back