PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats and Vollmer agree

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keeping Brady upright and protected is, and will continue to remain, the most important thing on the Patriots. Good move and happy to have Ze German back.

You have us at $11 to $12 million for FAs? I gotta hear this.

Miguel has it as $15.2 without Cole, Koutivites, and Volmer. So you are saying that the combined hit of those 3 plus reserve for rookies plus reserves for in season situations is less than $4 million? That's crazy talk.
Koutiddes and Cole will cost next to nothing because they replace a player in the top 51. 1/2 mill at the most I would guess.
I'd expect Vollmers year 1 hit to be somewere around 3.5 to 4 mill, which is 3.2 to 3.7 net of the top 51 rule.

I would be willing to entertain a hypothesis that we have 6 or 7 million left for FAs, or maybe even a touch higher from those with a sophisticated understanding of rookie signings and top 51 rules. But $11 to $12 million? Not a chance unless you think Vollmer is paying the Patriots instead of vice versa.
Again with the top 51, the rookies, drafting where we are estimate to cost about a net 1.25-1.5mill.

I'd peg the number for FAs (and #52 and 53 plus in season moves if you want to count that, although that usually comes free at cutdown time) is more like 10 mill.

Re: Pats resign Vollmer!!!

O-line: check
Slot: check
Deep threat: TBA
D-line: TBA
Secondary: TBA

Secondary: Talib and Wilson i think would add a check.

All that's left now is to address DL and WR via FA/Draft and i think the pats had a pretty solid off season.

Signing Abraham would be a nice add on leaving us with a competitive team before even going into the draft.

If we got Abraham and Sanders ( becoming less likely) then we would have really covered all our bases via FA this year.

Now, give me deep threat (sanders), Jules and then finish up on the other side of the ball - any of the DE's work for me.

Is Sanders really a deep threat? He ran a 4.41 40 which is pretty good but not blazing. Last season, he averaged a career-high 14.2 YPC, which ties him with Anquan Boldin and Brian Quick. It's an improvement over Wes and Lloyd, but still behind Gronk.

I like Sanders as a receiver, I just don't think he's the deep threat some are making him out to be.

It means what it means. No worse than the 3rd round. Could be 1st, could be 2nd, could be 3rd. The draft is a long process, combine, pro days, interviews, you can't say that "no worse than 3rd = 3rd". Sorry.

Sorry you're right we just added a Seymour, Ty Warren level talent for nothing! What a coupe by Belichick :rolleyes: will you call him a bust next year when he doesn't produce like a top 15 talent?

Sorry you're right we just added a Seymour, Ty Warren level talent for nothing! What a coupe by Belichick :rolleyes: will you call him a bust next year when he doesn't produce like a top 15 talent?
Dude, I'm not the one saying I know where he would have gone. You are.

Entire line is back for a 2nd strait season...always a good thing

You have us at $11 to $12 million for FAs? I gotta hear this.

Miguel has it as $15.2 without Cole, Koutivites, and Volmer. So you are saying that the combined hit of those 3 plus reserve for rookies plus reserves for in season situations is less than $4 million? That's crazy talk.

I would be willing to entertain a hypothesis that we have 6 or 7 million left for FAs, or maybe even a touch higher from those with a sophisticated understanding of rookie signings and top 51 rules. But $11 to $12 million? Not a chance unless you think Vollmer is paying the Patriots instead of vice versa.

15m - (3 guys) + fanene = maybe ~12-13m
rookies = 1m

I'm not worried about inseason money, as that could easily come from cuts or a later restructure.

Dude, I'm not the one saying I know where he would have gone. You are.

Actually I'm telling the guy saying that we've added another first round pick in Armstead to cool his jets he wasn't projected to be a first round pick by most, nowhere close to it actually. Expecting him to make a first round rookie impact is pretty ridiculous IMO.

Sorry for trying to bring a little reality to the party, if you want to view Armstead as a 1st rounder go ahead. Until he shows otherwise I'll be viewing him as a Cunningham upgrade.

Armstead may or may not be an upgrade over Cunningham, who played pretty well for us last year. I believe that when Ninkovich needed to play starting LB, Cunningham started at DE.

We don't even know how he will be used. If he does reasonably well in the pre-season, he is likely to make the 53 man squad.

I do indeed have him penciled in as of now.

DE Jones, Francis, Bequette
DT Wilfork, Love, Forston/Pryor
DT/DE Cunningham, Deaderick, Armstead
DE/LB Ninkovich

Actually I'm telling the guy saying that we've added another first round pick in Armstead to cool his jets he wasn't projected to be a first round pick by most, nowhere close to it actually. Expecting him to make a first round rookie impact is pretty ridiculous IMO.

Sorry for trying to bring a little reality to the party, if you want to view Armstead as a 1st rounder go ahead. Until he shows otherwise I'll be viewing him as a Cunningham upgrade.

Armstead may or may not be an upgrade over Cunningham, who played pretty well for us last year.

I'd say Cunningham was ok, but then obviously disappeared for the last 4 games plus playoffs because of his suspension. Bottom line is if he is a Cunningham upgrade that'd be great because it makes us better. I'm not expecting him to be our new 3-down LDE who can slide inside on 3rd down like I would a first round pick on the DL though. Some people are and I think its a case of one media guy saying it, maybe it and the idea catching on like wildfire.

Terms still not released?

rookies = 1m

I'm not worried about inseason money, as that could easily come from cuts or a later restructure.

Don't count Fanene yet; even if it's likely, it still hasn't happened.

Don't count your chickens too fast on this one. Monday's Boston Globe
reports that this is NOT a done deal. It probably will occur because Vollmer wants to return. The Patriots can still screw up the deal by demanding too
much of a home team discount.

rookies = 1m

Fanene money is not a sure bet, and I suspect will never be spendable this year if they have it.

I just don't see the Patriots spending $10 million more in free agency this year after Vollmer. We'll see, but I tend to doubt it.

Fanene money is not a sure bet, and I suspect will never be spendable this year if they have it.

I just don't see the Patriots spending $10 million more in free agency this year after Vollmer. We'll see, but I tend to doubt it.

I am hoping to have the Fanene and Fells money for in season use.

We will have either Fells or Hooman money. They won't both make the 53.

Also, we are likely to restructure Mankins.

I am hoping to have the Fanene and Fells money for in season use.

We will have either Fells or Hooman money. They won't both make the 53.

Also, we are likely to restructure Mankins.
Both might be a possibility as there have been reports that the Pats are high on Hermann as a potential back up to Hernandez. Its possible that he can make the jump to the 4th TE.

In any event I think that the Pats can spend up to the last dollar of their current cap room (minus the meager draft costs) and whatever TE's they cut will provide them with enough cap room for their in-season reserve (plus or minus a few dollars. Any Fenene money will be a bonus, though it would be nice to know the final disposition of the case before the draft.

Does anyone have an idea of timeframe before we can put the entire Fenene matter to bed, one way or the other.

Find me a Wilfork/Warren/Seymour available when we pick and I'd agree with you. But you are talking about #6, #13 and #21 overall for those three picks. A DT that can both stop the run and pressure the QB (ie a 3 down guy) is an elite skillset that isn't a given at the backend of the first - even in a strong year for DT's.

We were lucky to get Wilfork at #21 also... he fell pretty far, he could have easily gone in the top 10 and been worth a pick there. It was a shock that he fell all the way to 21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe