PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats and Vollmer agree

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming a $5M cap hit for Vollmer, how are we going to be able to afford all that? Your list is $7M in cap this year or more. Now we can do that, but who is getting cut? Connolly, Cunningham and Fells? What about the rest of the FA's, UDFA's and camp cuts BB is going to sign along the way?

Assuming $5M for Vollmer which I suspect is high, the ~$12M existing cap is reduced to $7m. Plenty. And I'm certain the $12M cap is wrong, too low.

I believe the CBA prevents extensions until a player has completed 3 years of his rookie contract anyway. This has been brought up in the discussions about trading Mallett.

they extended gronk and hernandez after 2

Ok. This is good. At this point we need to see the cap hit.

So, for all the commubulation for the first couple of weeks of free agency, it seems like here we are: (1) Same general core. (2) Moderate to significant downgrade at slot receiver. (3) Moderate downgrade at WR from Lloyd to Jones. (4) Moderate to significant upgrade at SS.

About $4 to $5 million left to spend, stll needing pass rush, WR help, and still with same basic CB core. Do I have that about right?

I'd say you're off about 7m before cuts or restructures

Assuming $5M for Vollmer which I suspect is high, the ~$12M existing cap is reduced to $7m. Plenty. And I'm certain the $12M cap is wrong, too low.
Miguel's Salary Cap Page shows 15 mil. without Vollmer (123 mil. - 108 mil.).

It is..it's more in the $14 mill range. So say $9 mill left for draft and FA pick ups. And you know pats will save some $$ to roll over to next year

No worse than a 3rd rounder means he isn't a clear cut second rounder or he would have gone no worse than the 2nd round. Nor was he a clear cut first rounder or he would have gone no worse than the 1st round. The fact that he was slotted to go no later than the 3rd round means he was a 3rd rounder or a late 2nd at best.
It means what it means. No worse than the 3rd round. Could be 1st, could be 2nd, could be 3rd. The draft is a long process, combine, pro days, interviews, you can't say that "no worse than 3rd = 3rd". Sorry.

It means what it means. No worse than the 3rd round. Could be 1st, could be 2nd, could be 3rd. The draft is a long process, combine, pro days, interviews, you can't say that "no worse than 3rd = 3rd". Sorry.

I think its safe to assume that "no worse than 3rd" is closer to a 3rd round pick than a top 15 pick.

It is..it's more in the $14 mill range. So say $9 mill left for draft and FA pick ups. And you know pats will save some $$ to roll over to next year

$5m would be a very high first-year cap hit, unless he got a monster deal, which I doubt. I'd expect something closer to $4m, leaving them somewhere near $10-$11 million.

Obviously we haven't seen the Vollmer numbers yet, but I'd be shocked if they didn't leave room to sign someone like Abraham and a few other contributors of greater-than-camp-fodder quality.

Happy news. I said earlier we needed to do this. People underestimate how good this guy is. When healthy, a top 5 RT who can also play a very high level LT? This guy is a keeper. Let's just hope he stays healthy. Sign Abraham, Tavon Austin, and a mammoth DT and we should be sitting pretty.

$5m would be a very high first-year cap hit, unless he got a monster deal, which I doubt. I'd expect something closer to $4m, leaving them somewhere near $10-$11 million.

Obviously we haven't seen the Vollmer numbers yet, but I'd be shocked if they didn't leave room to sign someone like Abraham and a few other contributors of greater-than-camp-fodder quality.

You gotta think they are still interested in Sanders as well..so they will have $$ planned for him

Happy news. I said earlier we needed to do this. People underestimate how good this guy is. When healthy, a top 5 RT who can also play a very high level LT? This guy is a keeper. Let's just hope he stays healthy. Sign Abraham, Tavon Austin, and a mammoth DT and we should be sitting pretty.

No one underestimates him. When healthy he is the best RT in the game.

Tavon Austin will be gone when they pick but they no longer need a slot guy anyways as they signed Amendola for that role and could bring Edelman back at a low cost. If Keenan Allen falls or Robert Woods or DeAndre Hopkins are available then I would love to see them go WR I just don't believe Belichick will use their first on a WR, although i could see him trading down for an extra pick and using a mid second as their first pick on a WR.

At this point Wr is their only need on offense, but they need a couple of them and they need talent. Amendola and Jones aren't going to give them what they need by themselves. Slowly but surely they are knocking off their needs and filling out their units. other than WR they could go into the season with what they have and be ready for it. I would like to see them re-sign Edelman, Sign Sanders to a tender, Sign Abraham, and draft Jesse Williams in the first and make a move up for one of the late first early second WR's, e.g.. Woods, Hopkins.....

You mean like Gronk? He was redone with 2 to go.
Gronk's draft class was the last group that could be redone after two years. Every other draft class after that has to wait three years.

Ok. This is good. At this point we need to see the cap hit.

So, for all the commubulation for the first couple of weeks of free agency, it seems like here we are: (1) Same general core. (2) Moderate to significant downgrade at slot receiver. (3) Moderate downgrade at WR from Lloyd to Jones. (4) Moderate to significant upgrade at SS.

About $4 to $5 million left to spend, stll needing pass rush, WR help, and still with same basic CB core. Do I have that about right?

Pretty close. We also traded in a very good 3rd-down RB for an excellent returner, which feels like a (money-saving) downgrade, and we lost some starter-quality depth at interior OL.

I'd say you're off about 7m before cuts or restructures

You have us at $11 to $12 million for FAs? I gotta hear this.

Miguel has it as $15.2 without Cole, Koutivites, and Volmer. So you are saying that the combined hit of those 3 plus reserve for rookies plus reserves for in season situations is less than $4 million? That's crazy talk.

I would be willing to entertain a hypothesis that we have 6 or 7 million left for FAs, or maybe even a touch higher from those with a sophisticated understanding of rookie signings and top 51 rules. But $11 to $12 million? Not a chance unless you think Vollmer is paying the Patriots instead of vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back