PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats 5 - 1 with "adequate" QB play

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this offense really needs a big, strong wide receiver. A guy that can fight for a ball and make a difficult catch in traffic. As we stand, if the ball is thrown in the hands of one of our receivers, but he's got a defender hanging onto him, the pass is incomplete 90% of the time.

Brees is leading the league in INTs. Good quarterbacks can get themselves into [mostly] mental flunks. The way we'll know if Brady is still elite is if he improves on it, which well have to wait and see.

Brees is leading the league in INTs. Good quarterbacks can get themselves into [mostly] mental flunks. The way we'll know if Brady is still elite is if he improves on it, which well have to wait and see.

Brady has two so-so games in a row and now has to prove he is "still elite". Welcome to New England, we just happen to have the most jaded, self entitled and spoiled fans around!

So much for the "Patriots can't win unless Brady carries them" mantra. What is wrong with Tom Brady?? Even before his binky Moss was traded Tom Brady has not put together a great game from beginning to end. Until yesterday the O-line has been quite good this year. Brady has been given time and has been clean at the end of most games this year and yet his passing game has been very erratic. Tom has been "off" alot this year. Throws at guys feet, throws to their wrong side, missing wide open receivers.....
Any theories as to why??

Why don't you look at who Brady is throwing at?

Tight ends: Hernandez, Gronk, Crumpler. First year with team.
WR:
Welker, only 'veteran' receiver. Teams are doubling him now that Randy is gone.
Tate, second year with team, missed first year due to injury.
Edelman, second year player, missed much of 1st year with injuries.
Branch, first year back with team since 2004.

This group is talented, no doubt. But they are all new parts except for Welker who still had to make the adjustment of 'life without Moss'. It takes time to develop chemistry, timing, and trust. The Chargers were a particularly tuugh challenge, but the OL problems gave Brady no time to throw and find receivers that game.

This team had the top scoring offense in the league with Moss over the first 4 games. You don't subtract that kind of talent and expect that to continue. However the Pats should continue to be very good even without Moss. They just need to execute better and maximize what talent they do have.

I read your post and it consisted of many excuses why Brady wasn't a factor.

So basically you just want to argue strawmen? I never in my history of posting argued "Brady wasn't a factor".

Agreed. Look at Rivers, who is "statistically" way better than Brady this year, throwing an INT and a lateral that cost his team two turnovers. Against a stingy defense where Brady and the rest of the offense could get nothing going, he didn't make any dumb throws and took a couple of sacks rather than force it (but didn't drop it when he took a sack). He even eked out an 8 minute TD drive in the middle of all the madness. Brady is fine; even he has to keep adjusting to the new O.

Not understanding the point? Do you feel Brady did more for his team than Rivers did for his?

The lateral was hardly all on Rivers. The Chargers proved how poorly coached they are.

With the departure of Randy Moss, an even greater commitment to the running game would be beneficial to Tom Brady.

He's been off the last 2 games. It happens. You see it happen in golf, you see it happen in basketball when all of a sudden a guy can't hit a free throw to save his life, you see it in baseball when good hitters go in 2 for 26 slumps. That's the nature of sports. I just disagree with the notion that he has been bad all year. That's simply untrue. He's played below his standards in the last few games, but has had spurts of the "classic" Brady in those two. All quarterbacks go through some rough stretches, we are lucky that Brady's rough stretches aren't as bad as some other guys'.

From 01 to 06 he was pretty much guaranteed to have a stinker, where he threw 4 picks and just basically screwed the team out of a win. He doesn't do that anymore, but he will be inconsistent ocasionally, as all QBs are.

You are quite correct that Brady has an annual stinkeroo. He's human. But it has not stopped in 2006. It happened last year too. It just happened to occur in the Playoffs, and the Baltimore Ravens won their only game all decade against the Patriots...

Don't think he played very well yesterday (who on offense did) but I've got no complaints about Bradys play this year in general

You are quite correct that Brady has an annual stinkeroo. He's human. But it has not stopped in 2006. It happened last year too. It just happened to occur in the Playoffs, and the Baltimore Ravens won their only game all decade against the Patriots...

That is true, indeed. I was just counting the regular season.

Let's do a list...

1. Brady went from playing with the second greatest WR of all time to not playing with him in a matter of a week.

2. Like the entire offense, Brady is going to have to adjust his game against defenses who are now dropping 8 into the box to stop the shorter and more intermediate routes.

3. In the two weeks since losing said second greatest WR of all time, the Patriots have had to face the #8 and #1 ranked passing defenses, respectively.

4. In the next three weeks, we'll get a better idea of what this passing offense will look like throughout the rest of the season. Not only will Brady have had a few games under his belt to adjust to the new look offense, but we'll be getting a bit of a break with the passing defenses we'll be going up against. The Vikings are 13th, The Browns are 26th, and the Steelers are 24th.

The offense was downright embarrasing yesterday.It was on the road as well.This team definetly needs another wr in the off-season.I seen enough of Tate already and this guy cant even run routes!

The offense was downright embarrasing yesterday.It was on the road as well.This team definetly needs another wr in the off-season.I seen enough of Tate already and this guy cant even run routes!

How have you even "seen" Tate lately? The guy is a virtual ghost out there.

My thoughts exactly.He is there to create a diversion.:rolleyes:

My thoughts exactly.He is there to create a diversion.:rolleyes:

Have you had access to the coaches' game tape? I mean, it's kind of hard to judge route running while watching the game from the TV.

You could tell by the look with Brady's face.Also they where saying it on the broadcast.

Have you had access to the coaches' game tape? I mean, it's kind of hard to judge route running while watching the game from the TV.

To be fair, it's either his route running is suspect, or he isn't able to get separation from a lone CB. Those are pretty much your possibilities right there. San Diego was dropping eight into the box yesterday and Tate was only able to register one catch for three yards. He is what he is, so far: an excellent return man who has contributed **** in the passing game.

Last edited:
With Tate doing close to nothing,I think its safe to say that without acquiring Branch we might have lost these last 2 games,at least the Ravens game for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back