PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats 5 - 1 with "adequate" QB play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, but he did lead them. I mean, otherwise you can only credit a QB for a comeback win when his team outscores the opponent in a 62-59 shootout victory. Every comeback derives from the defense giving the offense opportunities to win the game. Granted, the defense had to give'em a lot of chances after the game was tied for the offense to finally put it away, but they still had to come back from a 10 point deficit in the fourth quarter.

I don't subscribe to the notion of crediting a QB with comeback wins. I don't subscribe to the notion of crediting a QB with wins period. Despite what people want you to believe, 14 points in the 4th quarter down by 10 is NOT worth more than those 14 points coming in the 1st half. Brady is a great QB, I would rather no one else, but QBs in general get way too much credit and blame for team results. 13 points in 6 drives isn't exactly earth shattering for the offense.

He has 11 touchdowns to only 4 interceptions, sure the pick hurt but it didn't cost them in a final result.

This has 0 to do with my post.

Branch mentioned how he was the reason they failed to put it in their endzone by misreading an audible. Brady was sacked by Nagta, who basically had a free release when they were at midfield which stalled the drive. Nitpicking at it's finest.

Re-read my post without intent to defend Brady. Talk about nitpicking, cutting out the 2nd part of my post is it.

Last edited:
I don't subscribe to the notion of crediting a QB with comeback wins. I don't subscribe to the notion of crediting a QB with wins period. Despite what people want you to believe, 14 points in the 4th quarter down by 10 is NOT worth more than those 14 points coming in the 1st half. Brady is a great QB, I would rather no one else, but QBs in general get way too much credit and blame for team results. 13 points in 6 drives isn't exactly earth shattering for the offense.

Quarterbacks should get a lot of credit and a lot of the blame. It's the most important position on the field by a HUGE margin.

This has 0 to do with my post.

Re-read my post without intent to defend Brady. Talk about nitpicking, cutting out the 2nd part of my post is it.

Why shouldn't I defend the starting QB? Brady was a major factor, their defense didn't score any points.

Quarterbacks should get a lot of credit and a lot of the blame. It's the most important position on the field by a HUGE margin.

The -most- important position but I wouldn't say a huge margin unless comparing it to other individual positions. However, there's a lot more to winning than individual players.

Last edited:
There are no "great" defenses in the NFL. The Jets are very good, the Ravens are very good, the Steelers are very good. All are very good but none great.
The '86 Bears were a great D. The Ravens SB D was a great D.
Brady has been adequate this year and that's all.
Question is why?

Brady didn't look so good last year (at least to me). That being said, Football Outsider statistics say that he was the best QB in the NFL when adjusting for the defenses he played against.

I expect you are having a similar experience this year.

Why shouldn't I defend the starting QB? Brady was a major factor, their defense didn't score any points.

You should probably read and comprehend before getting all bent out of shape.

You should probably read and comprehend before getting all bent out of shape.

I read your post and it consisted of many excuses why Brady wasn't a factor.

Lets just trade him and end the debate. It won't make any difference. We are winning in spite of him :rolleyes:

Last edited:
So much for the "Patriots can't win unless Brady carries them" mantra. What is wrong with Tom Brady?? Even before his binky Moss was traded Tom Brady has not put together a great game from beginning to end. Until yesterday the O-line has been quite good this year. Brady has been given time and has been clean at the end of most games this year and yet his passing game has been very erratic. Tom has been "off" alot this year. Throws at guys feet, throws to their wrong side, missing wide open receivers.....
Any theories as to why??

because he is washed up. doesnt care anymore...doesnt workout in the offseason, lost his parking spot...got his money so is just coasting now...etc etc:rolleyes:

Yeah how about that game against the Bengals. What did the offense do in the 2nd half? QUITE inconsistent. I know it hurts but it's OK to critique Tom Brady's game. Really it's OK. :D

Dude

There is a fine line between provocative and stupid.

The score was 31-3 after Tate's TD. The Bengals mounted a mini comeback and the offense sealed it with a lengthy time consuming drive.

Hello, you play to win the game.

Ever hear of situational football?

My advice to you would be to go to the patriotsdaily.com archives and read the article the day after the falcons game called, "Spawn of the Dumb Girls"

Actually that should be required reading for any poster at a Patroits site.

Brady is still a very good QB, but I can't deny what my eyes tell me. He didn't look good on Sunday. Yes the OL and WRs didn't help much, but it goes beyond the game on Sunday. He has been off on his throws a bit even with good protection. That being said. I have confidence that he will settle down soon. I think the entire offense is in flux. They all need time to settle
down.

We got extremely lucky yesterday. If the Chargers weren't such a dumb team we would have been wiped off the field. The running game was non-existant and Brady was under fire all game.

The most pressing need this team needs to fix and needs to fix fast is their 3rd down defense. Once again, we were destroyed on 3rd down. The Chargers converted numerous 3rd down and long situations. Its beyond frustrating that receivers are open in the middle of the field on these 3rd and longs.

Last edited:
Statistically he is the 5th best QB in the league when you look at QB rating. You have to take into consideration the defenses the Pats have faced this season. Unlike last season, Brady has actually won a game in the 4th quarter and hasnt been making too many mistakes. While he may not look as flashy as say in '07, he is putting together a pretty solid year and really helping the team win

Agreed. Look at Rivers, who is "statistically" way better than Brady this year, throwing an INT and a lateral that cost his team two turnovers. Against a stingy defense where Brady and the rest of the offense could get nothing going, he didn't make any dumb throws and took a couple of sacks rather than force it (but didn't drop it when he took a sack). He even eked out an 8 minute TD drive in the middle of all the madness. Brady is fine; even he has to keep adjusting to the new O.

Brady is still a very good QB, but I can't deny what my eyes tell me. He didn't look good on Sunday. Yes the OL and WRs didn't help much, but it goes beyond the game on Sunday. He has been off on his throws a bit even with good protection. That being said. I have confidence that he will settle down soon. I think the entire offense is in flux. They all need time to settle
down.

He had a bad game. Doesn't mean he is on the decline.

Agreed. Brady isn't the issue. The Chargers defense is number 1 in yards allowed. They are a very skilled defense. Brady was under pressure all game. Their drive to start the 2nd half was the best drive of the season. Hands down. It was efficient and it was time consuming.

down.

He's been off the last 2 games. It happens. You see it happen in golf, you see it happen in basketball when all of a sudden a guy can't hit a free throw to save his life, you see it in baseball when good hitters go in 2 for 26 slumps. That's the nature of sports. I just disagree with the notion that he has been bad all year. That's simply untrue. He's played below his standards in the last few games, but has had spurts of the "classic" Brady in those two. All quarterbacks go through some rough stretches, we are lucky that Brady's rough stretches aren't as bad as some other guys'.

From 01 to 06 he was pretty much guaranteed to have a stinker, where he threw 4 picks and just basically screwed the team out of a win. He doesn't do that anymore, but he will be inconsistent ocasionally, as all QBs are.

down.

Was the offense in "flux" last week versus the Ravens in the 2nd half? I think the offense is fine with what they have to work with. This isnt the offense that shredded defenses in '07, this is a fairly young, but good offense. There are going to be games that they will struggle. Yesterday was one of those games. They were facing a very good SD defense that put pressure on Brady. The key was Brady and the offense didnt make any mistakes and that is why they won the game. I would like to see how many drops the Pats WRs have this season, I would say it is one of the tops in the league. People need to stop getting all over Brady, realize that the offense simply doesnt have the same talent that it had in '07 and understand that even though the numbers dont show it so far Brady is having a very good season, only throwing 4 INTs against the defenses that he has faced definitely attributes to that.

It's kinda sad when you look at the Pats RB: an undrafted, small, and only white RB in the league. 2 years experienced BJGE, and a couple of over-the-hill Morris and Taylor that don't even play that much...Plus no superstars WR and deep threat. So this team is solely on Brady responsibility to carry the offense.

With that said, can you guys imagine how much pressure Brady is having to carry this offense squarely on this shoulder, plus he also had to face more pressures from the defense of another team every week. This is not easy task for him, see..if the QB is not Brady...i'd say we're at 2-5 record and this message board probably all doom and gloom..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back