PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats 5 - 1 with "adequate" QB play

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are no "great" defenses in the NFL. The Jets are very good, the Ravens are very good, the Steelers are very good. All are very good but none great.
The '86 Bears were a great D. The Ravens SB D was a great D.
Brady has been adequate this year and that's all.
Question is why?

So what QBs have been better than adequate then? None, I would hope you say, since Brady was near the top in rating before yesterday. If that's merely adequate, then everyone else with a lower rating should be "less than adequate".

I would assume you don't think that way, and that proves that there are so many holes in your lack of logic that it's ridiculous I (and everyone else) is even responding to such a dumb thread.

The fact is that Brady has been off, but so has execution in large stretches of games. There are quite a few times that I've watched replays and it's actually the receiver who ran a bad route. I think Branch should improve that a bit, as he's a superb route runner. Hernandez and Gronk are still young. Welker is still not 100 percent. When you take all of that into consideration, you can clearly see why the offense has struggled at times and looked amazing at times.

brady has not been completely brady-esque

and if you cannot admit this, then you just will never accept criticism of brady

has he played well enough to win? looking at our 5-1 record its obvious he has, but unfortunately he has not played elite in many games

he HAS been throwing balls low, i dont know why, it may be intentional, i remember back in 06? he was doing the same thing

he doesnt trust his recieving core yet, and who can blame him? hes got two rookie TE's and another 1st yr vet, a gimpy welker, a recently returned branch, and a 1st year playing 2nd year wr.....let the chemistry grow a little bit more and i would get back to this question around thanksgiving

however, as someone pointed out, the ability to win a game is in no stat sheet, we did NOT have it last year, we DO this year, and ill take a win any way i can, so long as its a win

Clearly he needs to go deep to Tate more. :D

I was disappointed Tate did not catch that ball in the back of the EZ. Would like to see him step up a bit more.

The fact is that Brady has been off, but so has execution in large stretches of games. There are quite a few times that I've watched replays and it's actually the receiver who ran a bad route. I think Branch should improve that a bit, as he's a superb route runner. Hernandez and Gronk are still young. Welker is still not 100 percent. When you take all of that into consideration, you can clearly see why the offense has struggled at times and looked amazing at times.

Yes receivers do run bad routes (and Brady throws some really bad passes) and yes Welker is not 100% (and Brady is missing wide open receivers) and yes Gronk and Hernandez are young (and Brady is throwing too many balls at the feet of the receivers).
Why do you guys always talk about the weaknesses in everyone elses game but Brady gets a free ride with his wildly inconsistent performance. Tom Brady has not played 60 minutes of top flight football all season despite the fact that he's been healthy, had an o-line protecting him very well (until yesterday) and has more pass catching talent to work with than ever before.
I think it's a very legit question - what is up with Tom Brady?

brady has not been completely brady-esque

and if you cannot admit this, then you just will never accept criticism of brady

Ah, but that's not the question posed here, is it? Whether Brady has been "completely Brady-esque," i.e. playing up to the top standards we've seen from him in some past seasons? Nope, the subject line calls the Pats' QB play merely "adequate," and that's what everybody's leaping on.

In fact, the Patriots' QB performance has been among the best of the league this season. We are all more than a little spoiled by a decade with Mr. Brady. :)

Yes receivers do run bad routes (and Brady throws some really bad passes) and yes Welker is not 100% (and Brady is missing wide open receivers) and yes Gronk and Hernandez are young (and Brady is throwing too many balls at the feet of the receivers).
Why do you guys always talk about the weaknesses in everyone elses game but Brady gets a free ride with his wildly inconsistent performance. Tom Brady has not played 60 minutes of top flight football all season despite the fact that he's been healthy, had an o-line protecting him very well (until yesterday) and has more pass catching talent to work with than ever before.

This is what you call an overreaction. The first thing that I said was that Brady has been off. In fact, I've said the same in other threads. I've never been one to back off of criticizing Brady. I got into about a 20 minute argument at work with another Pats fan about the fact that I didn't think Brady has played at an elite level in a few years. Chill out.

Interestingly without Moss playing the defense has lifted. Growing pains removed or a safety net removed.. take your pick.

The defense has nothing to do with Moss. Some young guys have improved and taken over bigger roles (Cunningham, Deaderick). The coaching has been very good and they've found a very good run-stopping lineup with Wilfork at DE.

The offense has been pretty mediocre though and it hurts just a little watching Percy Harvin have so much space underneath. Then again both the Ravens and Chargers have VERY good defenses.

Last edited:

How about the game against the Bengals? Or the game against the Bills? Were those inconsistant performances as well? Jesus...

So what QBs have been better than adequate then? None, I would hope you say, since Brady was near the top in rating before yesterday. If that's merely adequate, then everyone else with a lower rating should be "less than adequate".

I would assume you don't think that way, and that proves that there are so many holes in your lack of logic that it's ridiculous I (and everyone else) is even responding to such a dumb thread.

Yeah and STATISTICALLY SPEAKING Tom Brady had the 2nd best season of his career last year. Any objective person who watched every game last season knows that was not one of Brady's best years. Stats, shmats....what do your eyes tell you Patriot fans??
Why is Brady struggling every game?

The defense has nothing to do with Moss. Some young guys have improved and taken over bigger roles (Cunningham, Deaderick). The coaching has been very good and they've found a very good run-stopping lineup with Wilfork at DE.

The offense has been pretty mediocre though and it hurts just a little watching Percy Harvin have so much space underneath. Then again both the Ravens and Chargers have VERY good defenses.

Umm, you do know gives those receivers room so he can get them to run the clock out?

If you ask me brady's play so far is great for the team.
Before (07-09) the team was too relaxed because they knew no matter what mistakes they made tom brady would bail them out, Now the team is making big plays and trusting their abilities.

Last edited:
The problem with threads like these is it just assumes that teams play 60 minutes of completely flawless football.

The reality is we make plays, they make plays. Hopefully, we make a few more than they do.

With the exception of Welker, no receiver and RB was a 2009 regular.

San Diego has a good defense.

Before the "4th down drive", the offense was FG/TD/FG.

This means that after sputtering, they made the adjustments and began to move the ball and scoring points. Does anyone really think Norv would have onside kicked if he thought his defense was going to pitch a three and out?

The problem with threads like these is it just assumes that teams play 60 minutes of completely flawless football.

The reality is we make plays, they make plays. Hopefully, we make a few more than they do.

With the exception of Welker, no receiver and RB was a 2009 regular.

San Diego has a good defense.

Before the "4th down drive", the offense was FG/TD/FG.

This means that after sputtering, they made the adjustments and began to move the ball and scoring points. Does anyone really think Norv would have onside kicked if he thought his defense was going to pitch a three and out?

Norv tried two onside kicks against this "pathetic" Patriot offense....

Yeah and STATISTICALLY SPEAKING Tom Brady had the 2nd best season of his career last year. Any objective person who watched every game last season knows that was not one of Brady's best years. Stats, shmats....what do your eyes tell you Patriot fans??
Why is Brady struggling every game?

He is not struggling every game. That's the whole ******* point.

How about the game against the Bengals? Or the game against the Bills? Were those inconsistant performances as well? Jesus...

Yeah how about that game against the Bengals. What did the offense do in the 2nd half? QUITE inconsistent. I know it hurts but it's OK to critique Tom Brady's game. Really it's OK. :D

Last edited:
Thou shalt not question the golden boy or face excommunication.

He is not struggling every game. That's the whole ******* point.

Not true. Brady has not played a strong 60 minutes all season. He has a good quarter or a good half but he's not played well for 60 minutes yet.

Yeah how about that game against the Bengals. What did the offense do in the 2nd half? QUITE inconsistent. I know it hurts but it's OK to critique Tom Brady's game. Really it's OK. :D

LOL DAMN!!!!!!!

Brady is adjusting to the new players on offense.

People tend to forget brady and welker are the ONLY veteran established players on offense. I have a feeling once Hernandez stops dropping balls, brady will target him more often. tHERE HAS ALSO BEEN A LOT OF HUGE DROPS THIS SEASON.

Last edited:
You are breaking the #1 cardinal rule in this forum: Never say anything negative about Brady.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes