PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats 5 - 1 with "adequate" QB play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brady is now married, has 2 kids, and football is no longer the number one thing in his life and it is showing on the field. Hell when a guy has to wear his hair the way his wife wants maybe it's time to trade him to a team like the 49ers for 2 first.

Worst post of the year.

This team isn't 5 - 1 because of QB play.
What do you people watch during these games?? :rolleyes:

I guarantee you we lose both the Bengals and Bills games if Brady hadn't played like he did in both. Stop trying to stir the pot. You don't even believe your own crap.

Last edited:
Brady takes what the defense gives him.

Keep in mind he has been under pressure quite a bit. It's a team sport, I think most here would understand that.

Re: his throws. I think Brady has made some throws at the feet of receivers because he sees a defender there, I noticed that a lot against the Chargers.

Seriously guys, We have played the Jets, Ravens, Chargers, these are quality teams. They all play defense too.

Can we just calm down a bit about the adequate qb play.

I feel Brady is playing at a very high level. I understand the numbers, but I also understand the senarios. There is nothing 'adequate' about TFB.

....as you were...

Eh no they aren't forgetting about those pats.. they don't even know. Most of this gibberish comes from fans who slobbered on in mass during our amazing streak where the pats were a complete powerhouse.

These are the same people who think the QB is off target when he throws to the backside of his receiver when he is crossing the middle because they are too clueless to understand that you cannot lead your reciever into zone coverage when on a crossing route.

These are the same people who view a pass that goes to the knees of a receiver as a bad pass when in fact 9 times out of 10 Brady throws these passes exactly there because they are safe plays with the ball being placed where only the receiver has access to it.

These are the same people that think Tom Brady is the same type of QB as Manning or Brees or Favre. He simply is not, he does not make the "amazing threading the needle pass" because he does not attempt them. He is the ultimate game manager who will always side on the safe pass over the fancy risky throw (until moss came that is). He is the QB who makes almost no "WTF" type of passes and makes just as many "WOW" passes. He simply plays it safe.. and is better then just about anyone else at doing so.. and guess what... thats how you win football games and bring home trophies.

It wasn't until BB tried to turn Brady into a Payton Manning clone and moved our offense from a conservative clock dominating force with a power running game into a high powered scoring machine that throws 70% of the time to match the Colts and the then newly introduced PI rules that Brady started scoring big time... BB has realised the errors in his ways and is slowly converting this team back to what brought us those previous championships.

1) A power running game
2) Minimal throwing game with dink/dunk safe passes enough to move the chains
3) Clock management (wear the defense out and run it down their throat to end games when they are too exhausted to stop the run)
4) Bend but don't break defense that does not allow big plays and is geared to stop the run in favor of allowing the passing plays underneath which eventually lead to turnovers or in-completions which end drives.
5) Heavy hitting defense that sets the tone.. With heavy hitters you create an identity. Our defense is currently finding theirs right now. Our old D would never dominate a game, they would hang in and when push came to shove at the end of games they would punch you in the teeth and leave you bleeding on the 1 yard line. That was their identity... can these new guys rejuvenate it?

Nice summation.

Eh no they aren't forgetting about those pats.. they don't even know. Most of this gibberish comes from fans who slobbered on in mass during our amazing streak where the pats were a complete powerhouse.

These are the same people who think the QB is off target when he throws to the backside of his receiver when he is crossing the middle because they are too clueless to understand that you cannot lead your reciever into zone coverage when on a crossing route.

These are the same people who view a pass that goes to the knees of a receiver as a bad pass when in fact 9 times out of 10 Brady throws these passes exactly there because they are safe plays with the ball being placed where only the receiver has access to it.

These are the same people that think Tom Brady is the same type of QB as Manning or Brees or Favre. He simply is not, he does not make the "amazing threading the needle pass" because he does not attempt them. He is the ultimate game manager who will always side on the safe pass over the fancy risky throw (until moss came that is). He is the QB who makes almost no "WTF" type of passes and makes just as many "WOW" passes. He simply plays it safe.. and is better then just about anyone else at doing so.. and guess what... thats how you win football games and bring home trophies.

It wasn't until BB tried to turn Brady into a Payton Manning clone and moved our offense from a conservative clock dominating force with a power running game into a high powered scoring machine that throws 70% of the time to match the Colts and the then newly introduced PI rules that Brady started scoring big time... BB has realised the errors in his ways and is slowly converting this team back to what brought us those previous championships.

1) A power running game
2) Minimal throwing game with dink/dunk safe passes enough to move the chains
3) Clock management (wear the defense out and run it down their throat to end games when they are too exhausted to stop the run)
4) Bend but don't break defense that does not allow big plays and is geared to stop the run in favor of allowing the passing plays underneath which eventually lead to turnovers or in-completions which end drives.
5) Heavy hitting defense that sets the tone.. With heavy hitters you create an identity. Our defense is currently finding theirs right now. Our old D would never dominate a game, they would hang in and when push came to shove at the end of games they would punch you in the teeth and leave you bleeding on the 1 yard line. That was their identity... can these new guys rejuvenate it?
Throwing at the hips/knees of your receivers is fine, throwing below the knees and towards the feet of your receivers like Brady has this season is not.

Brady is slightly off at the moment but the team is winning. I couldn't care if he threw 1 TD and and only passed for 75 yards if the team wins.

Throwing at the hips/knees of your receivers is fine, throwing below the knees and towards the feet of your receivers like Brady has this season is not.

Brady is slightly off at the moment but the team is winning. I couldn't care if he threw 1 TD and and only passed for 75 yards if the team wins.

Sometimes when you aim for the hip or the knee and the receiver isn't exactly where he was supposed to be you get below the knees or the feet... When I see him bark at a WR post throw it's generally because he wasn't where he was supposed to be. Brady is throwing to a target area, often before a WR comes out of his break, or he's throwing to a vacated area where the WR should know to be based on coverage. Brady has been having his most acctuate season to date, which is impressive considering the number of drops - including some uncharacteristic ones - he's had to account for. This offense is struggling with consistency on a couple of levels. The QB isn't one of them.

I don't know why he seems so off this year, but I have to agree with you. Even some of the balls that have been caught have been low, high, or otherwise not on the mark.

The troublemaker in me wants to say it's because he stays on the West coast and doesn't put in all the time with the team that he used to, but the honest answer guy in me says "I don't know why". :)

Watching the game on Sunday it occurred to me that alot of times when Brady throws the ball low, he is putting it in a place where he is protecting the receiver from a big hit and/or putting it in a place where the chances of an interception are nil. One of Brady's strong points is minimizing mistakes (I'm in SF so I get to see a mistake-prone QB, it's not pretty).

Watching the game on Sunday it occurred to me that alot of times when Brady throws the ball low, he is putting it in a place where he is protecting the receiver from a big hit and/or putting it in a place where the chances of an interception are nil. One of Brady's strong points is minimizing mistakes (I'm in SF so I get to see a mistake-prone QB, it's not pretty).

Most of the time when Brady throws it at the feet, it's an accident. It's OK to recognize that Brady isn't perfect.

Herp Derp Derp? I fully believe Brady is a top 3 QB, that said, I only use elite as the top two players at any position really. So if Brady improves back to the 65% -300 yards 3tds 1int type stats, them he'll solidly be in the elite passing category with Peyton. That said, I think Rivers is simply passing better than Brady currently with equally little to work with.

Call me jaded and spoiled but that's just how I measure elite.

You're not jaded or spoiled, you're delusional!
TFB is elite because he won 100 games in his first 131, he only threw 88 INTs when he threw his 200th TD, he controls games, he WINS game, and he doesn't turn the ball over. That is why in the history of the SuperBowl, only 2 QBs have more rings than him. Manning and Favre throw for zillions of yards and TDs, and heck, even win games because of it, but how do their postseason records look? They're both 50% or close enough to it. Brady's postseason success follows his regular season success which is 2nd to none!

This team isn't 5 - 1 because of QB play.
What do you people watch during these games?? :rolleyes:

Ok, switch out TFB and Favre.
Do you really think the Patriots are still 5-1 and do you think the Vikings are still 2-4 or whatever they are? No way in hell.
QB play may not be a 100% factor in winning like in Miami, but our QB play is significant to our 5-1 record.

Ok, switch out TFB and Favre.
Do you really think the Patriots are still 5-1 and do you think the Vikings are still 2-4 or whatever they are? No way in hell.
QB play may not be a 100% factor in winning like in Miami, but our QB play is significant to our 5-1 record.

Nice! You give me an old broken down diva in Favre??? :D
How about we switch out Brady with Rivers or Brady with either Manning brother?? How about Sam Bradford, a very impressive young QB??
Look, the only point I'm making is that Brady has not been dominant this year after coming off an "off year" last year. He has not played a strong 60 minutes of football in any game. It just worries me and I wonder if Tom will ever find that magic again. I really thought the way they came back against the Ravens in the 4th qtr (was like the good old days) was going to be the catalyst to kick start Brady into high gear. Instead he comes out flat (with alot of help from his oline friends) and was god awful in the 1st half against the Chargers. That's what almost cost them the Chargers game. Tons of wasted opportunities by the offense to put that game away early.

Sometimes when you aim for the hip or the knee and the receiver isn't exactly where he was supposed to be you get below the knees or the feet... When I see him bark at a WR post throw it's generally because he wasn't where he was supposed to be. Brady is throwing to a target area, often before a WR comes out of his break, or he's throwing to a vacated area where the WR should know to be based on coverage. Brady has been having his most acctuate season to date, which is impressive considering the number of drops - including some uncharacteristic ones - he's had to account for. This offense is struggling with consistency on a couple of levels. The QB isn't one of them.
There's been an uncharacteristic number of throws which have bounced at the bootlaces of the receivers this season. I acknowledge that the ball is in a position where only the receiver can make a play on it but to blame the receivers and not portion any blame on Brady isn't right. It's a combination of the two.

As I mentioned, I really don't care who picks up the slack as long as the team continues to win. The side won championships in the mode that BB is returning this side too and I expect we'll be competitive again in the next 4 or so years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case