PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots trading Richard Seymour to the Raiders!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well this could mean only one thing...

A PEPPERS DEAL IS IN THE WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frig. Might as well call for the Adam Seward fans too. Let's call him in for the 6-1 defense.

Really? Do people want him? Never heard anything mentioned before... :eek:

If there was one team other than the Redskins that I would predict to pay Seymour whatever he wanted, it would be the Raiders.

Would have been smarter to save the pick and try bidding. Maybe by then, a move like that could turn that team around.

I don't know what to say to this one. He's been a beast for years. He's done everything and more for this team when not injured. If he wasn't held for a 5 yard stride he would of put E Manning on his back long before he coud throw to Tyree. There hasn't been a Pats player more double teamed than Richard Seymour since Andre Tippett.

I see the Pats reasoning. I do. But I'm not gonna be happy about it. People are saying the Raiders got raped. And maybe they did in the long term, but in the short term we are screwed. They've done their research evidently and they are getting the run stopping force they desperately need.

I understand partially the economics of it but I can't help but wonder if this is going to come back and bite us like Branch/Caldwell did in 06.

Wow, our defense will be terrible this year.

Wait, what?

I typoed that and didn't catch it until you mentioned it.. I was out for a few hours..

It should have been 4-3 DE..

Yes, I am human.; I make mistakes.. I also own up to them...

The only thing that would make this any better would be if Big Sey re-signed for the Pats after the final year of his contract ran out in Oakland, and we come away with a potential top 5 draft pick and 'loan' #93 to Oakland for a year! :D

I think it's a horrible trade for the Raiders. I think it would be a great trade if they were anywhere close to competitive, but they're not. I think a draft pick would've been a greater asset to them than a 30-year-old DL, since he'll definitely be on the downside of his career by the time they even revert to an 8-8 type of team.

Yeah, see, I don't buy this. The Raiders have the best CB in the game. They've just added a tremendous D-lineman who's no longer going to be taking the pounding he too in New England as a 2-gap DE. They have a strong running back group.

There's talent there, and Seymour can make a big difference on that team.

Now, if you were to say something like "Al Davis will find a way to screw the pooch", I'd be inclined to agree with that.

It doesn't take an astro physicist to figure out there is no cap room for such a deal. Unless we are planning on going without Mankins and Wilfork as well.

The best we can do now is hope Carter is coming at a decent contract or are rookies are all world.

Yeah, see, I don't buy this. The Raiders have the best CB in the game. They've just added a tremendous D-lineman who's no longer going to be taking the pounding he too in New England as a 2-gap DE. They have a strong running back group.

Now, if you were to say something like "Al Davis will find a way to screw the pooch", I'd be inclined to agree with that.

Is JaMarcus Russell still the QB?

It doesn't take an astro physicist to figure out there is no cap room for such a deal. Unless we are planning on going without Mankins and Wilfork as well.

The best we can do now is hope Carter is coming at a decent contract or are rookies are all world.

Next year is uncapped.

He was probrably going next off season anyway, still came as a bit of a surprise to me though. It really seems like our defence is in a big transition right now.

I think this is a great trade.

Maximum flexibility in next year's draft -or- in acquiring a big-time FA (like Julius Peppers).

If the Patriots want any player that they highly covet in the 2010 draft, they can dangle that 2011 1st round pick as trade bait.

If the Patriots want a player like Peppers or any other significant player in a trade in the offseason next year, they can do so dangling that 2011 1st round pick.

Or they can wait until 2011 and get a significant player then, or wheel-and-deal that pick for something else.

As far as Seymour effect, look at the first half of 2007 when he was out....as long as our offense is high-octane, we will be OK.

Well, their OL is still pretty terrible, and their LB's aren't that great, either. They don't have anyone else at DL except Ellis, and I don't even know who is playing safety for them this year. It's still way too early but it also looks like this entire 2009 draft class (specifically DHB, who I was always skeptical of), outside perhaps Louis Murphy, will produce next to nothing.

Of course, you could always make the argument that whomever they would have drafted in 2011 would have sucked anyway, which I would buy.

Is JaMarcus Russell still the QB?

Yes. Was Drew Bledsoe still the QB of an 0-2 Patriots team?

As I said, if the argument is that Davis will probably screw the pooch, I'm in agreement with that. If the argument is that this was a horrible deal for the Raiders, I find that laughable. They've gotten the better end of the trade to date. The Patriots traded away their best defensive player against both the run AND the pass from last year, and they did it for a first round pick two years down the road. As a stand alone trade, this was a win for the Raiders as long as they re-sign Seymour.

Last edited:

As I said, if the argument is that Davis will probably screw the pooch, I'm in agreement with that. If the argument is that this was a horrible deal for the Raiders, I find that laughable. They've gotten the better end of the trade to date. The Patriots traded away their best defensive player against both the run AND the pass from last year, and they did it for a first round pick two years down the road. As a stand alone trade, this was a win for the Raiders as long as they re-sign Seymour.

Completely disagree.

No one is diminishing Seymour's value or skills for the Patriots. The team is obviously better with him than without him.

Looking purely at the deal however, the Patriots did a great job extracting value from a player who they would have gotten next to nothing for if he finished out his contract.

The Raiders are a terrible team and will still be terrible with Seymour.

I watch the entire Saints/Raiders game, and it was downright comical of their inability to stop the RUN. Their offense with Jamarcus Russell isn't very good, either.

That team will win 5 games MAX even with the addition of Seymour. One player will not significantly improve that defense. In fact, I think it will barely register any improvement at all.

I'm not sure I agree with any of those statements.

While Seymour is a great player, he's not the best DE in the league. I don't think he will make the HOF, and I certainly wouldn't laugh if roles were reversed. I'd be furious if I was watching a rebuilding team and they traded away a 1st rounder for a near 30 year old, soon to be FA. HORRIBLE trade on the Raiders part, regardless of how people feel on the Patriots side.

He said best 3-4 DE. If Seymour's not the best, then who's better?

Last edited:
The Raiders are a terrible team and will still be terrible with Seymour.

I watch the entire Saints/Raiders game, and it was downright comical of their inability to stop the RUN. Their offense with Jamarcus Russell isn't very good, either.

That team will win 5 games MAX even with the addition of Seymour. One player will not significantly improve that defense. In fact, I think it will barely register any improvement at all.

Seymour was the Patriots best run defender. Perhaps there's a logic strand here?

What does that even mean? Sure, I agree that if the Raiders have 2001 Brady waiting in the wings and a Belichick-caliber head coach, and they're able to re-sign Seymour, then this trade makes sense for them. If not, they just traded away a first round pick for a rental of a player who, while awesome and a great fit for what they need, probably won't re-sign with them.

Man, if Seymour signs with KC next offseason, the AFC had better look out. They have the cap room to make it happen, and Jackson has looked very good so far...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe