PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Trade Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remix 6 said:
obviously you havent watched Ray Lewis..hes on another level than Bruschi even though im a Pats fan..he doesnt just get blown up and jump on piles..when defense was right for him..before the 3-4..he was all over..he got around blocks and got there..in the 3-4.hes a little undersized and if u dont have good players in frotn of you..you'll get doubled by the lineman. Ray Lewis in his prime > any current LBs

Remix is right. We're talking about a guy who racked up huge SOLO tackle totals, for the love of God. Yes, he really could do one job very, very well. That job was middle linebacker in a 4-3 set. DryHeat's overstating the case.

But Lewis also got all mouthy, basically demanding Baltimore change its defense and its draft, so that he could do what he did best. Not what's best for the team, mind you, what he remembers being on Sportscenter for. Those might end up being the same thing. Not necessarily though.

The bottom line is the big fat star player doesn't get to tell the coach what to do.

Did Brady ever say "We need to draft a big lineman so I have more time," or "we need to draft a big receiver so I have a bigger target"? Did you ever hear Seymour saying "We need to change to a one-gap 4-3 so I can get after the quarterback more," or "we need to get Ted Washington back so I'm not the one holding this line together"? How about Bruschi saying, "I can't get this job done with Tully Banta Cain or whoever you plan to put back here, you're not allowed to dump Willie Mac"?

Ray Lewis might still have some great seasons left, but when he came out with that quote about how he needs a Siragusa Surrogate, I knew he'd never be a Patriot.

Would love to see Donnie Edwards reunited with Rodney, though.

PFnV

Last edited:
Remix 6 said:
obviously you havent watched Ray Lewis..hes on another level than Bruschi even though im a Pats fan..he doesnt just get blown up and jump on piles..when defense was right for him..before the 3-4..he was all over..he got around blocks and got there..in the 3-4.hes a little undersized and if u dont have good players in frotn of you..you'll get doubled by the lineman. Ray Lewis in his prime > any current LBs

Actually it seems we're agreeing...."if u dont have good players in frotn of you..you'll get doubled by the lineman."

A great player, even when doubled, doesn't give ground easily. I haven't seen Lewis doubled in about five years. There's no need to. There's not a fullback or tight end in the league who can't wash him out of the play one on one.

I agree he made a lot of playes then Goose and Fat Sam kept his uniform clean. But if you were to put Vrabel in that scheme, the results (against the run) would have been similar.

Remix 6 said:

You obviously haven't seen him in a few years. All he does these days is jump on piles and then get up and dance like he just scored a TD in OT of the Super Bowl.

He'd still be a very nice role player. The problem is that he wants Richard Seymour $ which is why he keeps popping off about the Ravens - the organization that not only didn't drop him but one that promoted him when he was facing a murder charge. They have no intention of giving him a 8 figure good bye kiss because he used to be really good.

We're talking about a guy who racked up huge SOLO tackle totals, for the love of God.

We do this once a month on the inevitable Ray Lewis thread.

Tackles aren't an official stat - the teams keep them. It is well known that (like Urlacher in CHI) Ray Lewis gets credited for tackles in Baltimore if he is anywhere close to the play. A few years back when he got credited for something like 18 solo tackles someone broke down the tape (Dr Z I think) and could only find 5 or 6.

Give me Donnie Edwards right now for a 4th or 5th and I am overjoyed with the offseason. I could give a crap what people say about his size; just look at his production. The guy is a tier 1 LB in the NFL sign him up.

If not, how about Bullock from TENN, not too shabby either.

Remix 6 said:
obviously you havent watched Ray Lewis..hes on another level than Bruschi even though im a Pats fan
This is the Dan Snyder method. Instead of building a team, you go after highly talented players.

It doesn't work.

There are some very talented players out there, and I'm not saying Lewis is one, but some very talented players that would be able to get great individual stats and allocades, but would not help a team win.

I would hate to see Lewis on the Pats.

Remix 6 said:
woah..how is Ray overrated ? hes arguably 1 of the best LBs in game..1 of the best leaders..hes always around ball and always seems to be fired up. Ray Lewis has accomplished more individualy than any of our LBs besides winning 3 rings..he won 1 and was the MVP. Lewis is not overrated..hes gotten bumped with few injuries lately but i would still take him on our team if he was a little younger..right now i wouldnt trade big for Ray or Donnie because their age is getting up there

Ray lewis 3 years ago, was one of the best LBs. He's not now. Not when he's complaining that he can't do his job with the guys they have in front of him. Of course, He was all GUNG-HO about the switch to the 46 defense last year. One that should have truly allowed him to excel.

Fact is that Lewis is no better than Ted Johnson was before he retired.

I'll take Ed Hartwell, please.

zippo59 said:
I thought this was a thread about the more under the radar, less hyped guys we would trade for? Perhaps there is no escaping fantasy football.

as soon as I saw Ray Ray as an example I figured it was a goof

in reality...I'd like a solid young QB to push Cassel and run the scout team...

what is realistic? late cutdowns at best, as there is no one on the trading block worth the price that I can think of...

Last edited:
Hmmm.. That is tough criteria. Especially when you rule out the usual suspect.

Here are my choices:
SS - Mike Brown - Chicago
CB - Nathan Vasher - Chicago
WR - Mike Williams - Detroit
WR - Shaun McDonald - St. Louis
RB - Michael Turner - San Diego
SS - Adrian Wilson - Arizona
LB - Keith Bullocks - Tennessee
LB - Brad Kassel

DaBruinz said:
Hmmm.. That is tough criteria. Especially when you rule out the usual suspect.

Here are my choices:
SS - Mike Brown - Chicago
CB - Nathan Vasher - Chicago
WR - Mike Williams - Detroit
WR - Shaun McDonald - St. Louis
RB - Michael Turner - San Diego
SS - Adrian Wilson - Arizona
LB - Keith Bullocks - Tennessee
LB - Brad Kassel

Bruinz, I was beating the Brad Kassel drum a couple months ago, until the Jets snagged him. Hard to say no to Keith Bullock or Adrian Wilson - any indication either one is on the block? On Vasher and/or Brown, I'll just take it for granted that Chicago is a NE farm team (see Vrabel, Washington, Traylor,) and could be sweet-talked into it.

PFnV

I've always liked Michael Turner ie Turner the Burner. But I don't think he'd have a spot on this team with Maroney in the mix now.

Remix 6 said:

Remix. You're completely correct! Some people must be watching different games than I've watched. I see alot of Ravens games down here near BMore, and I'm reading things that.........well, nuff said. I will admit that he's not what he was in his prime, but that can be said about alot of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft