PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Sign RB/WR Sam McGuffie To Practice Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eggs McGuffie...hit in the head so many times McDonalds' named a breakfast sangweetch after him...

he was pretty good with us in his 1st year at michigan. but replacing mike hart as a freshman was tough and we were a horrible team. he was a tremendous athlete, but at that time he really wasn't a good runner yet. vision was shaky and he just didn't run with any power. and he got hit alot. i mean alot. like 'that looks like a concussion' type of hits.

i'm happy for him and i hope he becomes woodhead 2.0

he was pretty good with us in his 1st year at michigan. but replacing mike hart as a freshman was tough and we were a horrible team. he was a tremendous athlete, but at that time he really wasn't a good runner yet. vision was shaky and he just didn't run with any power. and he got hit alot. i mean alot. like 'that looks like a concussion' type of hits.

i'm happy for him and i hope he becomes woodhead 2.0

I thought I recognized the name from Michigan. Did he play out his entire career there?

I know it's not going to go over well with you, but I'm a huge OSU fan. One RB possibility that I absolutely love is the thought of Carlos Hyde coming here. Tell me that kid doesn't impress you...

Talk about running completely over people, but not sacrificing too much speed in the process. He could very well replace Blount at a cheaper level/cost. Originally he was projected around the 3rd round, but I think that he may have gone up to even a 2nd round status down the stretch of the year. Just about every single carry was just physically plowing someone over.

Are you sure you're from the Isle of Man and not involved in the Patriots scouting department manx? It's interesting watching the guys you identify on the draft boards go on to either have something to do with the Patriots or at the very least, prove to be solid NFL prospects.

I've got my keen eye on you Mr. ;)

Interesting prospect. Seems like hes done everything and had excellent physical skills. Hope he pans out.

All your white smurf are belong to BB.

So did the "black smurfs" -- Brown, Patten, Branch, Givens, etc. I'm tired of people making this "white" distinction with the team's wide receivers as if it really means something. They're good football players.

So did the "black smurfs" -- Brown, Patten, Branch, Givens, etc. I'm tired of people making this "white" distinction with the team's wide receivers as if it really means something. They're good football players.

Givens was no smurf at 6'0" or 6'1" 210.

Are you sure you're from the Isle of Man and not involved in the Patriots scouting department manx? It's interesting watching the guys you identify on the draft boards go on to either have something to do with the Patriots or at the very least, prove to be solid NFL prospects.

I've got my keen eye on you Mr. ;)

Well if you look at my final mock for the last draft, you'd think I was a Bills scout as I had both Kiko Alonso and Robert Woods in the mock.

Thanks for the kind words but I do have my fair share of misses. Still smarting over Marvin Jones though. I was huge on him, he was great value as he was drafted late and he'd be an outstanding receiver and compliment to the Smurfs in our offense. I never do "we missed on so and so" or we could have drafted player a instead of player b" but Jones nearly gets me to that place.

I thought I recognized the name from Michigan. Did he play out his entire career there?

I know it's not going to go over well with you, but I'm a huge OSU fan. One RB possibility that I absolutely love is the thought of Carlos Hyde coming here. Tell me that kid doesn't impress you...

Talk about running completely over people, but not sacrificing too much speed in the process. He could very well replace Blount at a cheaper level/cost. Originally he was projected around the 3rd round, but I think that he may have gone up to even a 2nd round status down the stretch of the year. Just about every single carry was just physically plowing someone over.

I haven't looked seriously at running backs yet but I'm with you on Hyde.

Givens was no smurf at 6'0" or 6'1" 210.

He was 6-0/212, so perhaps that places him on the edge of smurfdom. Amendola is 5-11/195, Edelman is 5-10/198, Collie is 6-0/204. T.J. Moe is 6-0/200, McGuffie is 5-11/200.

Welker is 5-9/185, Troy Brown was 5-10/196, David Patten was 5-10/190. All were even "smurfier" than what we have now.

Oh McGuffie ... never mind ... my bad.

mcgruffdog.gif

I like the way he plays. The way he runs reminds me more of Edelman than Woodhead as some have said. When he runs his feet kinda attack the field like Edelman does.

Also he is always looking for that next yard as opposed to going out of bounds (which is a good thing and a bad thing). He can catch the ball well it looks like and he made a few tough wheel route catches.

I see him as a Hybrid of Vereen/Edelman more than anything else. Not to say he will be that good but we do need a RB who can back up Vereen as a 3rd down back more than we need Bolden. I say give this kid a try and if he doesn't work out draft someone in the 4th or 5th round.

Davis and Green have been promoted to the big squad. This guy here's just the MacGuffin.

Going by those highlights i would start him tomorrow.

And I would give him him..... one...million...dollars.......

One BILLION dollars.

Or that..........

Seriously, those You Tube highlights looked like NFL Films Presents The Barry Sanders Story..........

Probably the greatest signing of Belichick's career.

This kid is seriously athletic:

Sam McGuffie Draft Profile ? NFL.com

Add in a 6.57 3-cone on top of that, all at 5-11 and 200lbs. After his regional combine performance, I thought he was a shoe-in for the Pats. Surprised it took this long to be honest.

MCGUFFIE MIXTAPE! - YouTube

It's quite possible that none will make it, but McGuffie, Harrison and Moe are real upside guys for next year's offense.

Wow ... Sam can fake out his own pads ... impressive athlete in college.

Yeah, there are definitely some prospects for the 2014 team that could possibly pan out such as McGuffie, TJ Moe, Mark Harrison, Armstead, Green, Davis, etc. If we could find a capable player or two in that mix, things could look good.

Add in the hopeful second and third year jumps of guys like Harmon, Ryan, Chandler Jones, Hightower, Buchanan, Dennard, etc and we could really be looking at an improvement. Obviously all or even most of these players won't be as good as we hope, but the thought of having a nice handful of guys contribute or make a leap is something to consider.

Finally, we have the luxury of the draft and free agency to hopefully replace some key losses or weaknesses. There are always good college players who we can't predict at the moment. Hopefully our problems with depth and talent in the trenches can be improved upon.

If you really want to get optimistic, think of the injured players who we should get back. While there will be others who take their place, we can all admit that this particular season was much worse than the expected "norm," so that should also benefit us greatly.

Yeah, there are definitely some prospects for the 2014 team that could possibly pan out such as McGuffie, TJ Moe, Mark Harrison, Armstead, Green, Davis, etc. If we could find a capable player or two in that mix, things could look good.

Add in the hopeful second and third year jumps of guys like Harmon, Ryan, Chandler Jones, Hightower, Buchanan, Dennard, etc and we could really be looking at an improvement. Obviously all or even most of these players won't be as good as we hope, but the thought of having a nice handful of guys contribute or make a leap is something to consider.

Finally, we have the luxury of the draft and free agency to hopefully replace some key losses or weaknesses. There are always good college players who we can't predict at the moment. Hopefully our problems with depth and talent in the trenches can be improved upon.

If you really want to get optimistic, think of the injured players who we should get back. While there will be others who take their place, we can all admit that this particular season was much worse than the expected "norm," so that should also benefit us greatly.
You're right supa. It's my hope that the WR UDFA group provides some gems much like the RB UDFA group has in recent times. The more quality competition for spots, theoretically, the better for the Patriots.

You're right supa. It's my hope that the WR UDFA group provides some gems much like the RB UDFA group has in recent times. The more quality competition for spots, theoretically, the better for the Patriots.

I have a decently optimistic view regarding the position of WR myself. I think that Edelman has a decent chance of returning, despite the high numbers some are throwing around. On top of that, at much as Amendola has "underwhelmed" at times, there have been some Patriot-like things that have impressed me such as his excellent blocking skills, his toughness, his flashes of talent, and his understanding of the offense.

The rookies all received some important reps this season, along with some starting roles and higher pressure situations. For the normal standard of Patriot rookie WRs, I think they did enough to warrant good vibes for the future.

As we saw when Gronk was playing in games 7-13, the offense quickly shot up to a number 1 attack, so I think that we're actually fine with that specific position myself. Of course any additional talent or acquisitions would be a nice bonus, and I certainly wouldn't mind seeing someone like Emmanual Sanders as an upgrade to the Thompkins spot. My concern would be that Belichick may not agree with that allocation of spending though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back