PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Patriots sign Malcom Butler

This CB group to be above average will need Butler to play very well and the rookie Cb if we draft one will need to be a stud. When was the last time Bill drafted a good CB? I don’t want Cyrus Jones or Duke Dawson 2.0
Yawn zzzzzzzzzzz

And before the last couple years it was "When was the last time Bill drafted a good S or DT". Yet the last 2 years he has drafted Barmore and Dugger

He did find butler and JC jackson

Jonathan Jones too.

He was missed hugely after he got injured this season. I think Pats win vs Buffalo in Foxboro if Jones played. They picked on the slot that game and Jones has been a top slot CB.

His injury in the Titans game in the playoffs and not being available for the SB vs the Eagles is something underlooked by the fanbase because of the whole Butler thing. But he was missed in that game.

Last edited:
He did find butler and JC jackson

You're right about Malcolm... Outside of reading that he re-ran his 40, I don't recall hearing, seeing or reading anything else about him during the rest of the 2014 draft process...

JC, OTOH, was one of the top UDFA CBs available after the 2018 draft ended.

Surprising move, considering all of the baggage that comes in with him. He's no J.C. Jackson either. In terms of impact on the field... meh

Season 3 Whatever GIF by The Office

Surprising move, considering all of the baggage that comes in with him. He's no J.C. Jackson either. In terms of impact on the field... meh
What baggage?

What baggage?
The rumors as to why he was benched for the SB. I don't want to disparage the person (Malcolm) so we probably shouldn't elaborate on the rumors (one in particular). I know you think it's a nothing situation but for many that benching is still rather perplexing.

The rumors as to why he was benched for the SB. I don't want to disparage the person (Malcolm) so we probably shouldn't elaborate on the rumors (one in particular). I know you think it's a nothing situation but for many that benching is still rather perplexing.
That's 4 years ago. The fact that the NEP signed him and MB signed tells us whatever the rumors were not impediments for neither one of them working together again.

I thought you were alluding to why he retired last year for personal reasons. That's what I really want to know. Was it a family situation he just needed to focus on? Was is physical? Mental health? Addiction? Plain 'ole burnt out?

At any rate my belief is BB asked what was up and Malcolm provided him with an explanation which was acceptable.

That's 4 years ago. The fact that the NEP signed him and MB signed tells us whatever the rumors were not impediments for neither one of them working together again.

I thought you were alluding to why he retired last year for personal reasons. That's what I really want to know. Was it a family situation he just needed to focus on? Was is physical? Mental health? Addiction? Plain 'ole burnt out?

At any rate my belief is BB asked what was up and Malcolm provided him with an explanation which was acceptable.
This is really the whole thing. 4 years of everyone trying to figure it out is pretty much a moot point now. Both parties are moving forward. Whatever it was wasn't bad enough for Bill to never want the guy back. Whatever it was wasn't bad enough that Malcolm wouldn't play for them again. Water over the dam at this point. Have to wait for Bill to put out a book when he retires.

Last edited:
That's the only conclusion to be drawn at this point.

This too... and I agree with your latter point. This will be an unexpectedly good outcome on a variety of fronts if it works out for Malcolm and the team.

Jonathan Jones too.

He was missed hugely after he got injured this season. I think Pats win vs Buffalo in Foxboro if Jones played. They picked on the slot that game and Jones has been a top slot CB.

His injury in the Titans game in the playoffs and not being available for the SB vs the Eagles is something underlooked by the fanbase because of the whole Butler thing. But he was missed in that game.

The Jonathan Jones loss was actually pretty damn huge, he was sorely missed. I am excited to see Jones come back, I just wish it would've been with ONE of the two in Gilmore or Jackson. Could Gilmore + Jackson + Jones have been the best CB trio in the NFL if they managed to field it?

I am sure this is mostly incentive based.

Although I had found memories of Butler in his time in New England, this move smells of desperation. The guy was retired and on the street, he's 32 now, and BB's like let me look up my speed dial cos I'm out of good corners. It feels like hooking up with your ex again 10 years later after they've gained 30 pounds and stopped working out. o_O

You're such a gossip whore. Lol

He can contribute I suppose but I don't think he's a game changer. It helps he has experience with the Pats.
I suspect Pete Carroll thinks he’s a game changer, from experiencing the existence proof that he is.

With our cb depth and the fact that he received a 2 year deal, I'm not a betting girl, but if I were, I'd definitely say he's making this team...
a two year deal is all in the pats favor, no downside to making it a two year deal. Just as likely to be cut during camp as a one year deal.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back